Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
rtr

Winnebago Owners Club
8.1 Computer Chips

Has anyone tried aftermarket computer chips to gain better fuel mileage ?
I just purchased one from GF and was wondering if anyone else tried it first
I know Brazels sell them but this was 69.00 suppose to gain 10% better mpg and 30 more HPS. AM I in a dream world just kidding
rtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #2

Please come back and let us know what improvements you find in the real world, after more than one tankfull.

Some ECM reprogramming "chips" can increase MPG (lean burn, not good) OR more HP (more gas money), but I seriously doubt you can get BOTH for 69 bucks.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Measuring performance

Been puzzling out how to actually measure the incremental increases that these upgrades will deliver, or even really establish a baseline. I have about 4000 miles on our 2004 W-22 chassis (4 speed and OD), and maybe 20 % is with a head wind, 20% with a tailwind, & 80% with the wind from a front or rear quarter, at anything from 5 to 30 mph. The effects of wind speed alone on the frontal area of a Winnie more then negate the changes, good or bad, of tuning chips, the Banks ram air system and Banks stinger exhaust. This doesn't even take into account gas blends, altitude or speed. The previous owner bought the whole Banks package including the OttoMinder chip reprogrammer. At present I don't know if the control chip has been reprogrammed, need to call Banks one of these days to figure out how that can be verified; but I try to do a pretty consistent 65 on the Interstates and get about 7.5 mpg pulling a 3200 lb. toad. Averages over 150 mile trips are anywhere from about 6.5 to 8.1 mpg. This was Oceanside CA to Morro Bay, CA and back through LA freeway traffic at speeds of a crawl to 65, Phoenix to Laughlin, NV along the Colorado River and Laughlin to Oceanside trips. There are fairly steep climbs and descents on all these trips.
I will say that I can climb grades at my 65 mph and pass Big Rigs and other RVs of my size/weight, so the Banks probably does improve my torque. Because of the shift point at about 62 mph on the Allison 1000 tranny I have to work to keep the RPM at the top of the torque curve when climbing.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a 2004 WH 8321 LX and haul a car on a trailer weighing 5000 lbs and 26000 total

Just drove from Florida to PA 60-70 MPH AND GOT MY USUAL 6.5 MPG
Samflhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
rtr

Winnebago Owners Club
I have also , thought about the new 6.6 Duramax and swapping it for the 8.1 . The duramax suposedly puts out 735 ft Q @ 1500 rpm the fuel mpg would be better too . To bad they haven't made this connection yet from Workhorse or GM
Old 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
rtr

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree starsekr , there a lot of combinations and atmospheric conditions that affect fuel mileage. the biggest is driver discipline, fuel integrity (which varies greatly even though it comes from the same place the ethanol needs to come out it is not good regardless ,what the tell you. That effects fuel mileage. and the way the engine computer is setup. They are setup from factory for both EPA and as good as they can for economy but, there are better performance that can be tweaked by adjusting timing and fuel , Yes leaning the fuel is one of them ,should be ok if you don't get greedy and over lean it and burn the valves. Right now with the right conditions I have gotten as good as 8 mpg average 7.5 I don't tow anything and I cruise at 61 MPH my rpms around 2000 . I have the 6 speed Allison. again under the right conditions flat road, no head winds, good gas blend and no hot rodding . Use the cruise control as much as possible also, I use a synthetic oil.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many have tried both performance and MPG improvement chips, and

Those who choose a Banks system likely never recovered the cost
Those who choose ULTRA power may recover the cost.

In both cases though the improvement in performance may be worth more than the MPG improvement.

Those who went with other systems... Well, the cost can easily include a new engine.. Some of those chips are really not well tested. The 8.1 is (I am told) capable of up to around 500 HP, however your cooling system is not able to get rid of heat fast enough at that power level so you blow your engine. IN a different serivce they have better cooling systems (If you can not figure it out I may be kind and help you).. So they run the engine "Hotter" (more HP) but in that service,, Its all about the HP.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr View Post
I have also , thought about the new 6.6 Duramax and swapping it for the 8.1 . The duramax suposedly puts out 735 ft Q @ 1500 rpm the fuel mpg would be better too . To bad they haven't made this connection yet from Workhorse or GM
The Duramax would have been a sweet option, however, back when Workhorse was STILL IN BUSINESS we were told that GM simply could not deliver the quantities of Duramax engines the RV market could potentially consume, and so the Duramax never was a production option for the W-series chassis. Since GM was no longer in the RV business, they could not have cared less, apparently preferring to keep the Duramax for their PU and medium duty truck lines.

I'm not sure if the Duramax is still a joint venture between GM and Isuzu, or not. Anybody know???
Old 06-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm not sure if the Duramax is still a joint venture between GM and Isuzu, or not. Anybody know???
The joint venture with Isuzu was only for the initial development and even then the development team was based in Michigan. GM built a new factory just to manufacture the engine here in the US. AFAIK, Isuzu has not been involved since the engine was released.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
The joint venture with Isuzu was only for the initial development and even then the development team was based in Michigan. GM built a new factory just to manufacture the engine here in the US. AFAIK, Isuzu has not been involved since the engine was released.
Nick-B:
It looks like a GM subsidiary called "DMAX" makes the engine. I can't vouch for the accuracy, but here is a paste of the info at Wikipedia:

This article is about Duramax V-8. For the Duramax 6-cylinder, see Isuzu 6H Engine.
Duramax Diesel engine Overview Manufacturer DMAX Production 2001– Chronology Predecessor 6.2 and 6.5 L Detroit Diesel
The Duramax is a General Motors diesel engine family for light-and medium duty trucks, designed by Isuzu. The 6.6-liter Duramax is produced by DMAX, a joint venture between GM and Isuzu in Moraine, Ohio. The Duramax block and heads are poured at The Defiance GM Powertrain foundry in Defiance, Ohio. This engine was initially installed in 2001 model year Chevy and GMC trucks and has been an option since then in pickups, vans, and medium-duty trucks. In 2006, production at Moraine was reportedly limited to approximately 200,000 engines per year.[1] On May 9, 2007, DMAX announced the production of the 1,000,000th Duramax V-8 diesel at its Moraine facility.[1]

The comment about limited production in 2006 coincides with what we were told by WCC as to why they could not put a Duramax in their RV chassis. ED
Old 06-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
rtr

Winnebago Owners Club
so we were short changed by GM again. They put together a great drive train but, quit offering it to the RV world. way to go GM
Old 06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr View Post
so we were short changed by GM again. They put together a great drive train but, quit offering it to the RV world. way to go GM
Workhorse Custom Chassis (WCC) designed the W series RV chassis and "put together" the GM / Allison combo, beginning in 2001.

GM only made the P32 chassis, and sold it to WCC in 1999, and the P32 NEVER had the 8.1L or an Allison.

I'm not defending GM, but just trying to make the point that WCC was NEVER a GM company. OBTW, we have NAVISTAR to thank for their decision to put WCC out of business.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
maybe some light reading on "chips" and modern automotive electronics might open your eyes.
The way I see it... we all got garbage tunes from the OEMs from the get go. Ultrapower or other flash only unleashes what your drive train already came with. Not sure how much testing you need done... there are folks in the aftermarket that have a pretty good handle on what you can/cant do.

For $69... I would abstain from shopping on Ebay. I just dont get the "flea market" end run folks constantly do. Do you really think a legitimate product will get rolled out there and do as advertised??
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post

GM only made the P32 chassis, and sold it to WCC in 1999, and the P32 NEVER had the 8.1L or an Allison.

Small correction...the P32 came equipped with the 8.1L from 2001-2005.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer