Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

8.1 Engine "Backfire"

Well mabe not backfire, but exploding sounds down below that might be in the catalytic converters. We have a 2004 Bounder with about 60,000 miles on it The engine runs smooth on the level and does not burn oil. However when I start up a grade and the transmission shifts down, the explosions start. Because the engine runs so well I suspect it may be a bad sensor that is dumping too much fuel in it. I don't want to walk into a shop cold and get taken for a ride so would like to hear from anyone with a similar problem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
paz

Had the exact same thing happen on our 2005 W24. The next thing that will probably happen is the engine will start running rough and loosing power. As soon as ours did that, I replaced the spark plugs and wires. The roughness went away and so did did the backfiring on downshifts.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check spark plug wires. That would be my first guess. My 94 Bounder did that until I replaced them with after market ones. My Workhorse does that in heavy rain and they get wet. A lot of other thing could do it though.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyKathyM View Post
Check spark plug wires. That would be my first guess. My 94 Bounder did that until I replaced them with after market ones. My Workhorse does that in heavy rain and they get wet. A lot of other thing could do it though.
Next time it starts happening, check the air filter to see if it is wet. If so, the reduced air flow will cause the MAF to send faulty info to the ECM and that can cause the same symptoms. SOME of the early W-series air boxes did not seal out the fine mist/spray that is rampant in the wheel well and moisture got sucked in enough to affect performance. Been there, done that. Pictures are posted under my name in the iRV2 photo section.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Other possible causes. Clogged fuel filter or dirty MAF sensor.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You probably need plugs, wires, air filter and clean the MAF.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
You probably need plugs, wires, air filter and clean the MAF.
And distributor cap if that year has one. (hairline cracks cause backfire issues)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
And distributor cap if that year has one. (hairline cracks cause backfire issues)
No distributor cap on the 8.1.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Had the exact same thing happen on our 2005 W24. The next thing that will probably happen is the engine will start running rough and loosing power. As soon as ours did that, I replaced the spark plugs and wires. The roughness went away and so did did the backfiring on downshifts.
Thanks, that is very encouraging info.
My next question is where you recommend buying the spark plug wires - GM dealer or auto parts store? Also, is there more than one configuration of the wires on an 8.1 engine?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:04 AM   #10

Just saw all of the other replies - thanks for the suggestions. The air filter is good but I have not changed the fuel filter.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #11

Try OEMY's web site for the parts.
kkeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinFever View Post
Thanks, that is very encouraging info.
My next question is where you recommend buying the spark plug wires - GM dealer or auto parts store? Also, is there more than one configuration of the wires on an 8.1 engine?
There are high temp aftermarket wires available, but I just bought wires and plugs from the local auto parts store. The MH version of the 8.1 uses the same wires as the Chevy/GMC pickup.

Some motorhomes have more problems with burned wires than others because of poor air flow around the engine and/or because of harsher driving conditions (more mountain climbing, faster speeds, heavier coach, etc.). In those cases, the high temp wires are better. IMO, plug wires starting to fail at 60k miles does not indicate a big heat buildup problem.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are going to order a lot of items (plugs, wires, filters) try Rockauto.com
You pay shipping, but on multi-item orders it works out well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the years my experience with after market electrical components has been dismal.

I now buy all oil filters and electrical items from the dealer and stay with the OEM parts that came on the vehicle.

As paz mentioned, wires failing at 60,000 miles says they were pretty good to begin with so I stayed with the OEM wires when mine were replaced at the Workhorse dealer.

Tags
engine