Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #29

Well, I just wandered out to have a talk with mine. Told it not to pay attention to all this talk about cubes. Good thing, too, because it was feeling kinda betrayed.

I said, "This is what you have been training for. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!”

"Let's get out there and hit that next hill like you mean it!"

We'll see.......................
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAerbus,W22,2003 View Post
They in fact do make all flavors of aluminum heads for 496.. Just google it. From "mild to wild". Not thinking about doing this tomorrow, but just want to find out how practical, and is it really doable at home.. Engine is NIB 496 with Cast heads still on, but has aluminum heads and cam to go with same, along with Roller rockers, etc.. Supposed to put out about 425+/-. My engine is still fine, but this is tempting

No rivets on mine either just bolts.. Height is REAL MAJOR ISSUE. Have to measure engine height with heads off, and then go from there in order to figure how far up I have to get body May not be doable?? Will start some hard measurements today...
Got a plan in place to tune it? Lots of potential in a 502. The L18 was intended to be a long haul guy, not a big hill bruiser. I decided years ago that if my L18 experienced an early demise, I would look to the 502 and it's variants. Lots of options to take the Allison 1000 series to the next level or 3; the mad-power pickup crowd has paved a highway in this area.

$$$, though. Starts adding up.

Even though you mentioned early on in this thread that the swap was not imminent, I hereby motion under any and all applicable, intangible but very real, guy-codes that you be obligated to kick off a nice new thread with narrative, and pictures, of the process. The pain, the sweat, the tears, all of it. And I hereby pledge to you I shall read and appreciate such trial and tribulation, I will learn and grow from your experience, and maybe even commiserate a little recalling power train R&R activities from my past. Just a little.

Seconded?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Well, I just wandered out to have a talk with mine. Told it not to pay attention to all this talk about cubes. Good thing, too, because it was feeling kinda betrayed.

I said, "This is what you have been training for. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!”

"Let's get out there and hit that next hill like you mean it!"

We'll see.......................

Were you in Marine recruiting.....thought so!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Were you in Marine recruiting.....thought so!
Actually I was waiting for someone to call me out for not giving credit to the movie from which that quote was taken.

I figured the "keep moving forward" theme was applicable.

Tags
engine, removal