Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
8.1L Upgrades

I know this qestion has probably been asked many times but I would appreciate you opinions.

2003 Pace Arrow 37A with 8.1L and 5 speed Allison.

I was looking into adding either the Banks Power System with or without Ottomind, or going with the Ultrapower ECM up grade.

I have even considered going with both.

The motorhome seems to run and haul hills fairly decent by itself unloaded, but I was thinking about the additional HP and torque for when I have it loaded and start towing a toad.

I realize this maybe like apples and oranges but I seeking input from people you have upgraded or not upgraded and why.

Thanks in Advance
Ed
smokey5209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey5209 View Post
I was looking into adding either the Banks Power System with or without Ottomind, or going with the Ultrapower ECM up grade. I have even considered going with both.
Ed, I would recommend you save your money and just go with the UP for right now including wires, plugs and a cold air intake. Run it and see if it meets your expectations.

I'm thinking you're gonna want to save your money for camping instead of getting the Banks gear.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the UP upgrade and have been very satisfied with it. I do a lot of travelling in CO and it definitely improves my power. However, please be aware that the higher you go, the less effective a gasser like mine will be, probably regardless of improvements. Given the choice between spending $700 and $2,500 plus for about the same results, the answer was easy for me.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome smokey5209 to irv2.
Have the same year coach chassis as yourself and couldn't be happier with the Brazels UP upgrade. Just returned from Florida and Nappanee, In. and was doing my mileage figures by tank fill ups and mileage used on trip and was getting in the 8's.
I drive with CC most of the time and just let the ALLISON do its thing.
Most enjoyable trip as far as the driving part of it.
I place Blistines on chassis back in 04 because of the porpoising and also installed a Henderson track bar on rear end.
MH does not feel the effect of trucks or bus's when being passed.
When I had Ford chassis's I had the Banks system on three of them and it helped the Ford's but the UP did it all for the Workhorse. I do not think you would gain any more power adding Banks to WH I'd put it towards shocks or track bar if you have not already done so.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #5

I have the Banks system without Ottomind I believe. Package includes intake, headers & exhaust. I can only say that it runs well has good power on hills etc even when towing a 28' boat & trailer weighing in close to 7k lbs. That said the exhaust is significantly louder than stock. I can't give you a comparison to stock unfortunately as I bought my rig 2nd hand with this setup already installed. The comment on noise level is based on input from the previous owners.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschoon1 View Post
I have the Banks system without Ottomind I believe. Package includes intake, headers & exhaust.
kschoon1, Are you running a Workhorse? Just asking ...
Old 02-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not offer any first hand knowledge of either upgrade but I can offer what I have been told by friends that have done both. One has the Ford V-10 and says he gained a little in mileage and around 50hp. Does not shift out of OD as easily and the shift points are different. Slight gain in pulling grades.
Friend with the Workhorse said he gained about 30hp. Shift points had changed. No gain in mileage and no gain in pulling power. So from discussion with both of them I have decided that I will not do it to my Workhorse. Both of them agree the V-10 benefits more from the upgrade than the 8.1.
I am sure some with first hand experiance will reply soon.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I installed the Banks torque tubes (headers) when the bolts broke on my header. Quite a bit more power - snappy from 55 to 70+. I kept the same exhaust pipes and air cleaner. Brazels UP upgrade wasn't available back then but I am happy and the engine seems to be as well.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
I installed the Banks torque tubes (headers) when the bolts broke on my header. Quite a bit more power - snappy from 55 to 70+. I kept the same exhaust pipes and air cleaner..
JCM, The best thing about the headers is that it sheds heat like a duck sheds water!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I have the workhorse 8.1 w-24 with the full banks with the Ottomind and it seems to have very good power. I tow a Tahoe with no problems. This coach had it installed when I purchased it last year. I installed a full banks system on a 95 bounder year’s back it had the 454 and it helped big time with engine heat, power and mileage. Just about anything you can do to help get more air in and the exhaust out quicker will help. Good luck on either way you go just post the results.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
I have the workhorse 8.1 w-24 with the full banks with the Ottomind and it seems to have very good power. I tow a Tahoe with no problems. This coach had it installed when I purchased it last year..
Mr JP, That's the best way to get a Banks! Make sure it's there when you buy the motorhome!
Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #12

I have had my Ultrapower for a year now plus new plugs and wires. I noticed more torque pull immediately after I reinstalled the ECM. Just pulled into Yuma today after a run from Las Cruces. Hand calculated 8.3 mpg for the 710 miles and the coach definitely pulls grades in 5th that previously forced a downshift. Overall MPG since installation is 7.7 and that includes a lot of mountain and city driving and idle time. About the same as I got from a 1978 Minnie Winnie Class C on a Dodge chassis with a 400 CID engine that GVW'd at about half the weight.
I only wish I had a close-by supporting dealer or tech who could check everything out to see if I am running at optimum. No trips to Quartzsite or Brazel's territory for me in the future unfortunately.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone thought about changing out the mechanical cooling fan for a large electric fan? I've heard the stock fan sucks about 20% to 25% of the horsepower from the engine. If this could be eliminated it seems like it would really help in the hills. Especially in the mountains when the engine warms up. The fan kicks in just when you need all the horsepower you can get.

This has been done a lot on cars and trucks (pickups) and reports were always very positive. Also a lot of newer cars, are built from the factory this way.

Obviously it would take a good sized electric fan, and it would also need to be hooked into the temperature monitoring circuitry, or have it's own.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Obviously it would take a good sized electric fan, and it would also need to be hooked into the temperature monitoring circuitry, or have it's own.
Given the physical space, I don't believe you are ever going to be able to fit a fan in there that would be economical to design and implement that would push the same amount of air as a mechanical fan. The more volume of air you need to push the more amps are going to be required to run the fans.

In my experience, running just the 2 auxiliary cooling fans with a defective FCA will immediately cause an overheat condition.