Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

8.1L Vortec fuel trim?

I recently acquired a OBD-II Scangauge II for my 2002 Safari Trek with an 8.1L engine in order to monitor engine conditions, and I found I am getting readings ranging from 12-19 on LF1 and 2-7 on LF2 when travelling at highway speed going up slight inclines (I am in south Louisiana, we don't have "hills"). In the course of routine maintenance I have also recently replaced my spark plugs, plug wires, and cleaned my MAF with MAF spray cleaner, and have seen no significant change on the fuel trim readings.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ike

p.s. I have also installed a fuel pressure gauge, fuel pressure runs 58-62 psi
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I recently acquired a OBD-II Scangauge II for my 2002 Safari Trek with an 8.1L engine in order to monitor engine conditions, and I found I am getting readings ranging from 12-19 on LF1 and 2-7 on LF2 when travelling at highway speed going up slight inclines (I am in south Louisiana, we don't have "hills"). In the course of routine maintenance I have also recently replaced my spark plugs, plug wires, and cleaned my MAF with MAF spray cleaner, and have seen no significant change on the fuel trim readings.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ike

p.s. I have also installed a fuel pressure gauge, fuel pressure runs 58-62 psi
Well 12-19 on one bank and 2-7 on the other does indicate a problem. I assume you mean positive 12 to 19? That would indicate a potential lean condition on that bank. Because it's only on one bank it may indicate a manifold vacuum lean near the cylinder head on one side of the motor.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #3

Yes, I am getting positive numbers on both banks, but higher numbers for LF1 vs LF2, though they do seem to generally follow the same trend in their respective ranges.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Yes, I am getting positive numbers on both banks, but higher numbers for LF1 vs LF2, though they do seem to generally follow the same trend in their respective ranges.
I have the SG2 as well and my LF1 and LF2 are almost exactly the same. They are very near zero any time I'm moving down the road at any speed. At a dead idle the Long term Fuel will bounce between 2 and 7 positive.

My SF1 and SF2 bounce around just a little at idle but average near zero when moving down the road.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

8.1L Vortec fuel trim?

Swap the oxygen sensors side to side and see if the high fuel trims move to bank 2 or it remains the same
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #6

Thanks will give it a try, do you know if these have 2 or 4 O2 sensors and if 4 do I need to sway both front and back?

thanks
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

It has 2, one on each side easy peasy
Old 08-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #8

Good call Jon. If the trim numbers move with the swap then its an easy fix with a new O2 sensor.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

LTFT

If memory serves me right, it seldom does, Lft is an adaptive memory which can be reset with your scanner. Why not reset it and drive for a bit, who knows how long it's been gathering info. I think +or- 25% should set a code even on short term trim so that didn't happen or you would have mentioned that, again just my 2 cents....Jack
Jack N Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack N Linda View Post
I think +or- 25% should set a code even on short term trim so that didn't happen or you would have mentioned that, again just my 2 cents....Jack

It really *should* but it doesn't. Just like it never sets codes for misfires even when it's blatantly obvious. I think the reason for a lot of 8.1 failures in Workhorse's is the lack of DTC's for lean conditions.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
It really *should* but it doesn't. Just like it never sets codes for misfires even when it's blatantly obvious. I think the reason for a lot of 8.1 failures in Workhorse's is the lack of DTC's for lean conditions.
Yep. Exactly the reason I have started to pay closer attention to long and short term fuel trim and O2 readings. It's nice to be able to predict a burndown before it starts to do real damage.

This forum has helped me a lot in the last 4 months.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So what should the trim readings be?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

8.1L Vortec fuel trim?

0 is the target but +\-10% is within specification.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
So what should the trim readings be?

Well in a perfectly healthy engine with no vacuum leaks and perfect injectors and a spotless MAF and brand new O2 sensors and new spark plugs and perfect plug wires and great fuel all warmed and running down the road at a steady 60 mph..............

Short term fuel trim will oscillate between -5 and +5 but it could stay at zero for periods of time and it could spike up to 15 or even higher for short periods of time. The short term fuel trim is managed by the engines computer responding to feedback from the O2 sensors. The engines computer it trying to achieve a perfect air fuel mixture of 14.7 to 1. If the O2 sensor see's this AFR fall below 14.7 it sends a resistance to the computer telling the computer the exhaust is rich and the computer starts pulling fuel back resulting in a short term negative fuel trim. A positive fuel trim number would be the result of the O2 sensor seeing a leaner than 14.7:1 AFR.

As you roll down the road and go up and down hills and around curves and move the throttle open and closed the fuel and air going to the motor will be in a constant state of change.

Long term fuel trim should ideally be at or near zero. Long term fuel trim is the computer learning from the short term fuel trim. If you have constant STFT readings at say -15 or -20 the computer will begin adjusting the fuel to that bank of injectors to compensate for the additional air the O2 sensor thinks it sees. Once the long term fuel trim begins to compensate the STFT will trend back toward zero and the extra fuel for that bank will be managed by the LTFT. If for some reason the STFT starts to trend positive on that bank then the LTFT will back off and reduce the fuel to that bank.

If the STFT continually oscillates on both side of zero then the O2 sensor is happy and the LTFT should remain near zero. When the STFT trends negative or positive for several seconds or even longer the LTFT will kick in and begin adding or taking away fuel trying to compensate for the less than optimum Air Fuel Ratio.

Tags
fuel