Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #1

94 fleetwood bounder brake fluid check

Can someone help this igmo? I can't find the reservoir where you check the brakefuid. I know is is low for the brake goes all the way to the floorboard. HELP...I have the owners manual and it says to check the reservoir. It ought to be under the hood...Right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. Yes they're usually under the hood. What engine do you have?
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #3

On the 1997 bounder gas burner it's under the driver seat in the wheel well. A pain to get to.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

not under the hood....have the 454 chevy on p30 chevy chassic
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

thanks and I just put new carpet and glued it down...darn
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks for both replies...I will go out there and look before it gets dark....thanks again.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Look in the wheel well under the drivers seat. As in just above the tire.
You will not need to remove the carpet as it is outside the coach.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #8

I'm not home standing next to mine but if my memory serves me correct when you open the "doghouse" look to the left under the floorboard. It's not impossible to service but not easy either.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyboy View Post
I know is is low for the brake goes all the way to the floorboard.

When you find the Master Cylinder do a FULL fluid flush of the entire brake system, not just a top up. Brake fluid should be flushed out with fresh every 2-3 years in a motorhome.

If you find that the fluid is not down very far then you have bigger problems and it is time to overhaul the brake system. If the components (master cyl. calipers, hoses) are original then they all need to be replaced at the age of your chassis - regardless of miles. Brakes on a motorhome are just too critical. Please, for everyones' safety.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoughton1 View Post
Look in the wheel well under the drivers seat. As in just above the tire.
You will not need to remove the carpet as it is outside the coach.

x2 exactly

You will see it above the tire and about a foot inboard of the tire. Clean off the top real good before you open it. Real bear to fill, I bought a Marine lower unit fill oil pump at Walmart to screw unto a quart bottle of brake fluid.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #11

thanks to everyone...I found it...it wasn't low at all.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where was it ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #13

A timely post for me . . . just had master cylinder failure on a P30 chassis this week, not fun as the pedal slowly with each application got closer to the floor! Was working normal for the first 20 miles of our trip, made a somewhat non-normal braking action as a truck stopped in front of me and I had to hit the pedal harder than I normally would at around 20 miles an hour.

After this brake application was when the brakes were not working correctly! Found this out on first hill going down! We got the rig off the road safely called Good Sams and was towed in (2000 28' Tiffin Allegro) had to over-night at the garage till morning so we could be looked at. Brakes worked normal next day when the mechanic moved the rig for troubleshooting, we deceided after much discussion between the the mechanic, shop forman, shop owner and myself it was a failed master cylinder as no visible leaks were seen.

New master installed and bleed and we continued on with a 200 mile trip. I purchased this rig last season used and "thought" the brakes were up to par, my failure on that one! Should have known better not to trust anyone, we did use it all last season with no issues. The old master was filled with gunk my thought is a peice of gunk/dirt held the piston seal open and fluid was bypassing and all I had was the mechanical plunge to push the one piston.

I have the old master in hand as it was a new one installed so no core required so I plan on disecting it to confirm my suspicion.

What I learned is this; change your brake fluid regularly! I plan on a full brake bleed tomorrow on my system. Also make sure you check your e-brake action regularly! Mine has the mechanical drum on drive shaft and it is "suspect" and will also be looked at indepth.

It is NO FUN trying to stop +15,000 lbs of metal with little to no brakes!!!!!

BTW Master is in the drivers wheel well and can be accessed via the dog box cover removed easiest to take it out the bottom for removal

Tags
bounder, brake, fleetwood, fluid