Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 and am wondering if this is normal, or a predictor of a problem... The AC compressor runs well, although when the transmission downshifts, and returns to overdrive, the ac compressor makes allot of noise, growling. This will continue until I cycle the power switch for the ac. Its a bit loud, but doesn't seem to effect the cooling. Is this considered normal or do I have a bad compressor?

W-20 Workhorse
surfride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 02:38 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an 05 and am wondering if this is normal, or a predictor of a problem... The AC compressor runs well, although when the transmission downshifts, and returns to overdrive, the ac compressor makes allot of noise, growling. This will continue until I cycle the power switch for the ac. Its a bit loud, but doesn't seem to effect the cooling. Is this considered normal or do I have a bad compressor?

W-20 Workhorse
Old 08-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
We had this happening, basically when the engine shifted to the next gear (usually one of the overdrive gears, we have 6 speed Allison) the compressor was making a racing noise. Took into the Workhorse service center and they changed the compressor (warranty).
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have your WH service center replace the AC compressor. That's what fixed the grinding noise during acceleration with our coach.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Word from my mech is WH considers compressor chatter normal. Something about the clutch slipping as the rpms change so as not to freeze the compressor. He said a new compressor would likely do the same thing.

W-20 Workhorse
Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine made the same noise, took it in and the dealer replaced the A/C clutch. Nice and quiet now
davebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Word from my mech is WH considers compressor chatter normal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Get another opinion. Mine started growling during acceleration and would quit when I shut off the AC. Eventually, it started making the same noise on deceleration. A new compressor put on by Redlands Truck totally fixed the problem.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had my unit in last month for an obvious A/C clutch problem. (metal-to-metal screech whenever compressor clutch disengaged.) WCC elected to replace compressor. The loud "buzzing" noise we had, usually after downshifts and always eliminated by turning A/C switch off for a few seconds initially went away completely but is starting to reappear now that we have a few hundred miles on the new compressor. I don't know much about compressor design (Roots type? Vane? piston-and-plate?) but could it be that the GM supplied compressor is underengineered for a motorhome application? Does varying compressor load cause that huge mono-belt to vibrate/slip? Do 8.1L dump trucks, delivery vans, busses, etc. have the same symptoms/history?
Instrument panels and A/C compressors...things that keep the WCC warranty folks and engineers from getting a good nights sleep.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 AM   #9

Chalk me up to one that had the workhorse problem with the compressor...workhorse center replaced compressor but then knocked off an evaporator solenoid--causing a pop sound....this compressor clutch is apparently a big thing with workhorse....
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote