Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Greetings from site #6013 at Ocean Lakes Campground in beautiful Myrtle Beach, SC. I am awaiting the bulk of the South Carolina Good Sams to arrive and it should be a lot of fun here. The weather couldn't be any better.

I am noticing that those folks affected by the recall are receiving their fuel rail clips and that's a good thing. The trick here it to have a fuel rail clip in hand so that your service center can have the clip to install.

I wanted to post a couple of points that you need to know.

1. If you install the clip that was sent, you will not be able to clear the campaign as being completed in the recall notice since it is a "NHTSA Safety Issue". There is no one that can be called to clear the campaign for you.

2. Having done such a fantastic job installing your clip you now will have to go to an authorized service center where they have the necessary computer equipment where they can enter the campaign as being completed.... however see item#3.

3. Your doghouse will have to be removed so that the clip can be inspected. The service center will at that time "replace the clip that you installed" -> because <- they can not take your word for it. They will then button up your doghouse and you can go on your way.

The campaign must be completed by an authorized service center even if we provided the directions on how to replace the clip. There is no getting around this so make an appointment and please take your clip and your motorhome to a service center.

This is "Official" from the Technical Assistance Center, Troy, MI.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Greetings from site #6013 at Ocean Lakes Campground in beautiful Myrtle Beach, SC. I am awaiting the bulk of the South Carolina Good Sams to arrive and it should be a lot of fun here. The weather couldn't be any better.

I am noticing that those folks affected by the recall are receiving their fuel rail clips and that's a good thing. The trick here it to have a fuel rail clip in hand so that your service center can have the clip to install.

I wanted to post a couple of points that you need to know.

1. If you install the clip that was sent, you will not be able to clear the campaign as being completed in the recall notice since it is a "NHTSA Safety Issue". There is no one that can be called to clear the campaign for you.

2. Having done such a fantastic job installing your clip you now will have to go to an authorized service center where they have the necessary computer equipment where they can enter the campaign as being completed.... however see item#3.

3. Your doghouse will have to be removed so that the clip can be inspected. The service center will at that time "replace the clip that you installed" -&gt; because &lt;- they can not take your word for it. They will then button up your doghouse and you can go on your way.

The campaign must be completed by an authorized service center even if we provided the directions on how to replace the clip. There is no getting around this so make an appointment and please take your clip and your motorhome to a service center.

This is "Official" from the Technical Assistance Center, Troy, MI.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:26 AM   #3

Too bad!!!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #4

Well I think this is a crock of you know what. I guess mine will just not be cleared until it goes to the dealer for something else. It is a 75 mile trip over there and 75 mile back and then you normally have to leave it .
Old 10-03-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Don't shoot me I'm just the messenger.

But the clip is serious stuff, it's an NHTSA Safety Recall. I'm positive that the majority of owners here would want to make sure that the campaign is accomplished by a certified facility that can accomplish the work and that the safety recall has been accomplished to the letter of the campaign published by NHTSA.

It shouldn't take weeks to get your clip installed, make an appointment and you should be able to make a quick turn around. It would be good if you had it done while accomplishing a secondary task such as a routine service for example. There's no rush to run out an immediately do this but it would be in your best interest to get er done as soon as possible. If you're going out see if there is a facility close to where you're going to be. You can kill 2 birds with one stone.

For the effort, you get a nice new clip and a .01 cent yellow sticker that shows that the campaign was completed.

For you folks that are absolutely going to DIY and fore-go the service center I'll have more to write about that tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
get er done </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For you folks that are absolutely going to DIY and fore-go the service center I'll have more to write about that tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can understand where some folks are just not near a Workhorse Service Center. I also understand that it is a federal recall. But if they are being sent out and some can do it themselves then why not, so long as when they do take it in for service sooner or latter, the service center will redo it again anyway so both parties are safe. It would seem if one can not get in within a reasonable amount of time that it is better to be safe than sorry.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:37 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But if they are being sent out and some can do it themselves then why not, so long as when they do take it in for service sooner or latter, the service center will redo it again anyway so both parties are safe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know about "both" parties all I'm interested in seeing is that the Workhorse owner's themselves are safe.

For exactly the reasons that we've seen here when one of our "self admitted mechanic" members damaged a critical fuel system component before reading all of the material that we've developed regarding the clip replacement, WCC can not clear the campaign unless they do it in person at a service center. WCC can not guarantee according to the law that the clip was properly replaced unless they do it themselves.

If you attempt to replace the clip remember anything can happen if you do not follow the exact instructions to the letter. We've already seen where owners can do more harm than good.

If you are a more than a shade tree mechanic like I am you should be able to follow instructions and swap out the clip. Are you safer having swapped out the clip, no doubt.

In order to show the campaign as being complete it does have to go through the system and someone of authority has to sign off that the campaign has been accomplished. This includes and is not limited to the service center physically installing the replacement clip.

This accomplishes 2 tasks related to the clip, absolutely the right replacement clip is used and that a certified tech installed it.

Here's a what if! What if xyz owner received the clip, threw it away, and called Workhorse and said that he changed the clip just to save a few bucks on gas and time from work? It can happen.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
When you go in to have the clip replaced, tell them you are fulltime and will wait for the clip to be replaced. They usually get right on it. At worse they will have it done that day instead of keeping your coach in their back lot for a week as they usually do.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
.... instead of keeping your coach in their back lot for a week as they usually do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Full-Timers, An excellent advocacy posture for full timers. I stay the course for my recommendation to call first, "let them know you're a full timer", find out if they have the part in stock, make an appointment, be early, get the clip installed and head out on the highway!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When are the clips suppose to be sent? I'm still waiting

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #12

I guess Driver you or someone will have to tell the Rock Heads over on RV.Net. You the place where we all think we know evereything.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by al koffman:
When are the clips suppose to be sent? I'm still waiting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't been notified of the recall and mine is one of the affected ones (per the Workhorse Website, under "my motorhome")....I blew off waiting around patiently, and took mine to the dealer to have some work done, and they will replace the clip (from their inventory) at that time.

My understanding is that Workhorse isn't sending the clip anymore with the letter...just the letter now....

Maybe soon we get the letter!!
Old 10-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
My letter and clip showed up today.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote