RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
ABS Light on with LCD "Check ABS"

I have a 2009 CT Coachworks, Siena on a Workhorse W22 Chassis. The ABS light cam on and the LCD screen says "Check ABS" I have had the RV in the shop for a month trying to trace out the problem. Using an OBD II scanner with ABS I (or the shop) gets a #86 code indicating a short. I was able to locate a complete wiring diagram for the Workhorse chassis. The shop has checked out the brakes, Sensors, ABS, and lights. Everything is working correctly. The shop installed a new ABS ECM from Workhorse. The ABS light and LCD message are still on but, something new. Now when they test drive the RV the ABS light and LCD message stay on until they apply the breaks. When they apply the breaks the light goes out and the warning resets. We are at a loss and seeking any advice or assistance in diagnosing the problem.

McGruer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

I've also have had this same problem for years on my 06 Newmar Canyon Star W22. I look forward to hearing from others.

planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Planopat. I started researching using "My-JustAnswer". I have been working with an experienced Workhorse technician online and the technician said they had seen the symptom I described only once in the past. He said that it was isolated to the instrument cluster. The mechanic that I have working on my RV reached the same conclusion. Everything in the electrical system seems to check out correctly but, I have a trouble light and ABS warning. We have sent off for a new instrument cluster. I will post if that works.

Symptoms: ABS light on dash, LCD reads Check ABS, an audible alarm. The alarms all disappear when the brakes are applied but, return when the break is released. The OBD-II/ABS shows a trouble code of 86, "Shorted ABS indicator." Checking all of the electrical circuits with the OBD-II readouts shows everything a functioning normally.

Summary: I have a false alarm/trouble light (I believe).

I will post what we find.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great to see another Siena owner. If you have any problems with the coach take it to CT Coach works in Riverside, even though they are not making RV's anymore they still provide service for us.

2017 Fleetwood Discovery 37R, 2014 Honda CRV toad.
JFreitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

We have a 2007 Dolphin on a W22 chassis that's doing the same thing. I read somewhere else on this forum that removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the ABS SENSORS using dielectric grease would cure the problem. It didn't do anything for mine, and I cleaned them thoroughly using brake cleaner spray and rags, including the sockets into which they mount.
Glad to read that it may not be a safety issue, but a dashboard problem. By the way, those sensors are $86 each at Omey's, which is too much to "throw new parts at it" until the problem goes away! I look forward to future posts! Hopefully, one of us will find the correct "fix". Until then, we're headed out for our first trip in this coach - ABS, or not.
Gary
garyvont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #6

GMcGruer, Please tell me where you obtained the wiring diagram for the W22 Chassis. I can see already that having one may be an absolute necessity for a DIY such as myself!! Many Thanks!
Gary
Old 10-13-2015, 08:40 AM   #7

Hey Folks, I'm new to the IRV2 forum, and just discovered there are several other forums within IRV2 posted at the bottom of the page. They are not on Workhorse Chassis, but address similar issues on other brands. Some are current, some are old, but there's a lot of pretty interesting information there!
Gary
Old 11-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
For those who might be interested in the final solution to my ABS light problem with the Workhorse W22 chassis, I picked up my RV yesterday with everything fixed. After a month of trouble shooting, testing, and diagnosis we finally discovered that the problem was actually the alarm itself. The trouble code showed 086 which is for a shot in the instrument light. The mechanic changed out the ABS unit and the trouble code remained. there were no other codes and everything seemed to run fine with the RV but, there was this audible alarm and warning indication on the instrument cluster showing an ABS failure. We isolated the problem to the instrument cluster but, discovered that the alarm is a sealed component of the instrument cluster. Ordering a new instrument cluster was a problem. Workhorse does not carry the item in stock, repair facilities will only adjust dials and gauges. Nobody would touch the actual electronics. I finally contacted the manufacturer for the instrument cluster and discovered that they had one in stock. I grabbed it. It was installed and the RV is up an running without alarms. Hopefully this will resolve troubles for a while.

Tags
abs, light