Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

ABS Question from other Message Posted

dieselclunker-- i want to ask you about things you said in other message but started a new message like Rich 34a said to.

you say too many hypotheticals in his message. im not no enginer and not no attorney but i never read that its okay to unhook abs if you dont like it and never have read anyting about the companies saying its okay to unhook. no way its in the manual and i did look threw it. says to go to repair shop if problem. i would like to see some facts that abs has problems and its good and ok to disconnect otherwise it seems you r information is hypothetical and not good information to post in this forum. you said you worked for a car company and thats where the info comes from but car companies including the one you worked with use abs on almost all cars now so it dont make sence to me. maybe you got some car company info you can put here that we can all read and i know rich 34a has asked you already but is it ok with insurance companies and what would happen if you got in accident with your coach. the only time i see the abs light is when i start the engine so i dont think i have problems but just asking for you to put your facts here on why you think abs is bad
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #2

UltraClassisElectraGlide;

I too would like to see the 'facts' as to whether the insurnace companies and manufacters agree that owners can simply disable their ABS systems without liability and what the scientific rationale is for doing so in the first place...

By the way, his screen name is dieselclacker, not dieselclunker!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #3

I drove vehicles for forty years without ABS.No big deal! If I disconnect ABS,nobody is going to check for it.Nobody will care. It is an accessory.You will still stop.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmc View Post
I drove vehicles for forty years without ABS.No big deal! If I disconnect ABS,nobody is going to check for it.Nobody will care. It is an accessory.You will still stop.
Those vehicles that you drove proably didn't have ABS to begin with, so sure it stopped okay. Vehicles at one time didn't have power brakes or disc brakes either, and they stopped too. Transmissions used to be only two-speed, not four, five, seven or eight speeds of today and carburetors were the norm before fuel injection, and sure, they all still 'drove'.

No, unless you have a state mandated vehicle inspection, I'm sure no one is going to look at it.

As for 'nobody will care' are you absolutely certain? Did you contact your insurance company and that's what they told you? If you were involved in an accident and found at fault and the investigation showed you had disconected the ABS, are you sure no one would care? I'll take your word for it but find it hard to believe that people can tamper with their braking system and if at fault in an accident, incurr no repercussions.

Lastly, if it's only an 'accessory', I'm surprised that the Workhorse owners manual doesn't say 'just disable or remove the ABS' if you don't like it... seems like that would be a simple solution, though I don't think ABS related problems are that frequent anyway. Maybe an auto or RV tech can weigh in as to if disabling ABS is the proper thing to do...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless some major changes have been made in the ABS systems since the 80s, I don't see how disconnecting the system would solve the locked up brake problems.

Back then the ABS did not apply the brakes, it interrupted them - you could feel them pulsing as the pressure to the wheels trying to lock up was interrupted.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Unless some major changes have been made in the ABS systems since the 80s, I don't see how disconnecting the system would solve the locked up brake problems.

Back then the ABS did not apply the brakes, it interrupted them - you could feel them pulsing as the pressure to the wheels trying to lock up was interrupted.
I think the member was saying to disconnect the ABS due to 'possible' ABS failures; a few members suggested it as a way to prevent the brakes issues that happen on some specific model years and chassis series. I asked for specifics on all those ABS failures and why disabling the ABS was the right thing to do, but no answer.

I don't think disabling any safety equipment is a viable, long-term solution, whether someone thinks a MH can lock-up its brakes on a dry road or not. A CD player is an extra, or not necessary, to the every day driving of a vehicle... I don't see ABS as an unnecessary, extra-parts, I-don't-think-I-need-it item, but some here apparently do.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #7

My point was that if ABS is off(ABS light on) you will still have a complete brake system. I didn't mean I would disconnect ABS on purpose.I see I didn't express myself clearly.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To answer the question of can you disable without liability.. A lot depends on the resulting accident.

You hit my ride, and I find that you disabled any safety gear on your rig, or that you don't have towed brakes, I'm going to ask an expert (And I know some first class experts here) Did your disabling that system, or did the lack of brakes on the towed, make a difference?

And if the answer is YES the next question will be "Did it make it worse"

And if the answer is YES, you are gonna find that I like very large numbers.

Of course, in some cases disabling the ABS may actually prevent a crash if my understanding of the physics and operation of ABS is correct then there are cases where ABS may make thigns worse.. Of course that is a big IF there.

(The example of making it worse is a rear end collision, on clear dry pavement, I do not think ABS will help there.. However if the pavement is wet, or leaf/snow/other covered.. then it will)
Old 03-25-2009, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 34A View Post
UltraClassisElectraGlide;

I too would like to see the 'facts' as to whether the insurnace companies and manufacters agree that owners can simply disable their ABS systems without liability and what the scientific rationale is for doing so in the first place...

By the way, his screen name is dieselclacker, not dieselclunker!
Looks like the information just must not be there, or he would have posted it. Do a 'Google' and I think you'll see that ABS reliabilty issues aren't there and disabling it really isn't the solution to a non-existent problem.