Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

AC Condenser Fan

I posted a while back about having a miss on the 8.1. Seems it was a burned wire(s) and bad plug(s). I had replaced those a few years back so was surprised when it came up again so quickly this year.

Anyway, while installing a vent to cool off the manifold the other day, i decided to try manually rotating the electric fan in front of the ac condenser. To my surprise, it was rubbing against the condenser. Removed it and to my surprise again, the fan blade fell completely off the motor shaft. Chassis air conditioning hasn't worked for years so i didn't think nothing of not ever hearing the condenser fan come on.

But then i got to thinking,,, Is this fan supposed to cycle on during other higher temp situations?
And if so, might its lack of function helped to cause the burnt plug/wire?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

The fans (2 each) do cycle under high temperature engine conditions and when the A/C is operational. Original (W8000087 Aux Fan) replacements are available at Amazon (Depo 335-55038-200 Condensor Fan Assembly - $38) but be aware that the wiring polarity may not be correct for the rotation direction needed and you may need to utilize the original support frame since the mounting supports of the Depo fan assembly may not line up.
geofferyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

After discovering the problem, i initially wanted to replace the whole assembly. But after having some trouble trying to match things up, i decided to see if i could repair it.

What had me worried was that the fan blade had wallowed out a bit making it not fit as snug on the shaft as i thought it should. Not sure how long it will last but i mixed up some epoxy and applied it around the shaft on both sides of the fan blade then installed with a new E clip. Seemed really sturdy but to be on the safe side, i drilled and tapped the center of the motor shaft, then installed a cup washer and a small locktited bolt. replaced the assembly back onto chassis and then put 12volts to it to check operation. Time will tell but for now, it's working fine.

Thanks for the Amazon info, will keep that in mind just in case.

Still wondering though, if this could have had anything to do with my spark plug/wire problem.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Two solutions provided by users Link Here.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #5

Oh, i keep forgetting, ours has only one Fasco electric fan. Measured it but i've done forgot, i think it is 16" in diameter.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

Because of this thread, I discovered that my driver's side fan is frozen. Won't turn at all.

Tried to remove it and of course the bottom 2 bolts are rusted and the plastic housing won't stop the nut from turning.

Got out my Ryobi vibrating cutoff tool and cut the bolts off and will go to O'Reilly's tomorrow to get the Hayden 12" fan. Hopefully I can swap it into the old frame and get it wired right.

It's always sumthin'
Old 08-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Wow was that easy! I know I'm just posting to myself as no one GAS about my posts (I'm the ultimate thread killer ) but the Hayden 3680 fan motor and fan blades bolt right into the old Workhorse grill. Bolt it back onto the frame, easy peasy.

Wiring it was just as easy. Black wire to black wire and blue to blue. Rotates the correct way!

Echo....echo....echo........
Old 08-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's very informative for us workhorse owners. Thank you!

Mike
Old 08-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

Gary, that's the kind of reply i like to hear, or read.

I'm hoping i have ours fixed for good but if not, sure hope to get lucky and find a direct replacement too.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #10

Which way (rotation) is the correct way?

Clockwise or Counterclockwise?

My W22 fans rotate clockwise. Had to reverse wires blue to black & black to blue on the Depo 12" fans I got on Amazon.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #11

Should have bought the Hayden.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #12

Ac fans

My W22 fans also rotate clockwise. I noticed in one post the fans run when engine high temp is reached, and also when the AC is on. I realize they are on and off with high temp but are they suppose to run constantly when AC is on, or does something tell it when to come on? Thanks
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

After I installed the fan, I started the engine and turned on the a/c. The fans did not immediately come on, but once the engine warmed up at idle, then they came on.

Direction wise, mine run counter-clockwise as you are standing in front of the motorhome looking at the fans. That is the way the fan blades are angled. Sitting in the driver's seat, they rotate clockwise.

I am interested in when they come on if the a/c in not on.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

Based on the rotation of the one good unit that was working in my HR before changing them both out, the rotation is clockwise from the front looking aft. If your not sucking (smoke test), your rotation is reversed.

Tags
fan