Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
AC quit W24

Sorry if this is a redundant issue, but I could not find anything here.
This is our first Motorhome, a 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T (W24 chassis). The AC has quit working while traveling, and the fan (AC & Heat) quits blowing when we drive up hill.
Is this a problem other have had and solved?

Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Does the basement air work while plugged in to shore power or when on generator?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
More info please.

Are you talking about your roof air or dash air.

Does it come on going down hill?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply(s) Coderbill and mgscott.
I am talking about the dash air from the engine.
Our house AC is from the heat pump in the basement.
We experienced the AC problem on our way home. I don't know if the AC in the basement works, but I will give it a try when I get a chance.....are the two systems tied together somehow?
The fan comes back on when we are driving level or down hill....but it does not blow cold.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

If I understand correctly, it may be a vacuum issue. The first thing I would check is under the hood. There should be a black plastic sphere approx. the size of a baseball attached to the firewall. Check vacuum hose connection on bottom of plastic ball.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
The dash air and basement air/heat pump are twp separate systems and not tied together. The only time I will run the dash air is when I might be starting the coach on a journey. I like to run the generator on hot days to keep the coach cool on the trips. It typically uses less fuel (the generator) than the engine driven AC. That however does not answer your question but if the dash air does not work try running the coach basement air on generator until the source of the problem on the engine AC can be trouble diagnosed..
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you gruelens and codgerbill.
I'll check the vacuum hose when I get to the coach next time....( don't have room to store it at home).
I would not have expected that the generator + the house AC would be more efficient to run than the engine AC.....thanks for that tip!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Here is the vacuum hose diagram.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

It sounds very much like the problem I had with my 2005 Suncruiser 38J. The fan and A/C worked intermittently for a period but then finally stopped working all together. A Workhorse authorized service centre was not able to find the problem. So I went back to my dealer and their service department spent 8 hours working on it. The cause turned out to be not one but two wires chaffed through in the wire harness where it crosses the driver's side of the radiator. If the vacuum turns out not to be the cause check out the wiring. Good Luck.
Kickenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
If I understand correctly, it may be a vacuum issue. The first thing I would check is under the hood. There should be a black plastic sphere approx. the size of a baseball attached to the firewall. Check vacuum hose connection on bottom of plastic ball.
To expand on the possible vacuum problem. On gasoline powered vehicles, vacuum is produced in the engine's intake manifold. This is because the engine is basically a big pump (sucks in air and fuel). At idle, with the throttle closed, maximum vacuum is produced. Think of covering a vacuum cleaner hose inlet. As the throttle is opened more, the airflow increases and the vacuum decreases. At high throttle openings (such as going up a hill), the vacuum is quite low, and is below the amount needed to properly operate the controls and actuators on systems (such as heater controls) that make use of vacuum. There is usually a reservoir (Black sphere as mentioned in the quoted post above) that maintains vacuum in the system during times of low vacuum supply. It also has a one way check valve to keep the vacuum from "going backwards" back into the engine. If the reservoir or check valve are leaking, OR if any of the hoses, controls, or actuators leak, vacuum will be lost when the throttle is opened wide. This may produce the symptoms you mention.

A simple vacuum gauge tool is an easy way to test for function and leaks.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W80594-...vacuum+testers

In response to the post about wire damage, be aware that rodents have been know to feast on wire insulation, causing all sorts of electrical problems. Keep your eyes open for any signs of insulation damage or nesting material in the area of the heater box/controls/wiring.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote