Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, Actia is not on the "cutting edge of technology", their problem is that they have not yet mastered old technology. I am on my 5th IP. The first one was because the trip odometers would not reset, then 3 with the LCD problem. The last one was replaced in Jan 07, so far its been OK, but like many others I'll be sweating it out hoping it lasts.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
dieselclacker,

Let me clarify the previous statement about old mechanical gauges. I have had odometers fail, trip odometers fail, sppedo needles fall off, speedo cables break, speedo cables go dry, speedo cables get to much grease, cruise fiber optics fail... you names it.

But, the Acita cluster puts 40 years of normal failures into about 4 years.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:23 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by oemtech:
dieselclacker,

Let me clarify the previous statement about old mechanical gauges. I have had odometers fail, trip odometers fail, sppedo needles fall off, speedo cables break, speedo cables go dry, speedo cables get to much grease, cruise fiber optics fail... you names it.

Aahhhh, speedometer cable and speedo head noise on a cold morning! Ya gotta love it.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
Aahhhh, speedometer cable and speedo head noise on a cold morning! Ya gotta love it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>dieselclacker, There are technology trade-offs at every level. Actia may not be in the leading edge of anything since we basically have seen the same IP since 2003 but there is something to be favorably said about electronic instrumentation. Take a look at the Queen Mary II -- not a mechanical dial in the control station all digital or electronic but they've spent millions to get it right.

When a chassis ships from Union City there a box on the frame called a dunnage box. This box contains all the other components for the chassis that are not installed in UC like some A/C stuff, fender badges, owners manuals, other stuff and a cardboard box which contains 1 each Actia IP.

The OEM is actually the first person to see the new IP when they install it in their instrument cluster. Actia makes many other IPs for various manufactures both RV and commercial however I believe that we are all somewhat dismayed at the failure rate.

I do think though that given the choice I would rather stay with the digital IP and take my chances. After all there is little in the IP that is mission critical other than the warning lamps and fuel gauge. I'm sure that Workhorse could spend more money on getting a perfect IP but who exactly makes those and is anybody willing to pay for the up-charge?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #33
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
A reply to Dieselclacker. "I only drive on this side of the Atlantic". Do you realize that the USA is the only country on this side of the Atlantic that uses miles, F. etc. All others use Metric. Also are you aware that in the British Isles they still use miles, feet and inches?
From what I understand the connections inside the guages were originally pressed together whereas, later they "invented" soldering.
There is no excuse for "shody workmanship" no mater what technology is included.
Oh yes, can you find a non metric bolt or nut on your coach?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 AM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"But, the Acita cluster puts 40 years of normal failures into about 4 years."

Bid from the lowest bidder.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A reply to JCM in Canada: Yes I am ,thoroughly familiar with the metric system. (Worked for Mercedes Benz for 20 years) My point is I do not do the majority or my motorhoming in Canada, or other overseas countries. I purchased a motorhome for use in the good old USA, it was made in the USA, and the majority of sales is in the USA, and we do not use the metric system here, so why make thing more complicated than necessary. Maybe someday the world will be standardized, but probably not in my lifetime, so in the meantime skip the metrics for units sold in USA.

Dieselclacker
Old 10-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
Bid from the lowest bidder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>OK Let me ask you this?

Michelin XRV?
Allison 1000MH & 2000MH
50,000 PSI Steel Rail
Bilstein Shocks
Alcoa Dura Bright II
etc....

If any of this stuff is low bid, I just don't see it ..... I haven't seen where Workhorse has skimped on components. Are there more expensive upgrades, I bet, but could we afford to buy the rail so equipped?

Why not Road King or even Koni FSD shocks? There are always more expensive components.

OEMs are already challenged to buy the SSC or equip our chassis with Ahrens push button shifters. I think a lot of us would be ecstatic to have these types of components but it costs money and there aren't any OEMs out there that have $$ at this time.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lowest bidder.

Well, I was specifically referring to the Actia dash panel. Why do most electronic panels for cars/trucks go for years, and hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems, but so many have 2-3 replacements in &lt;50,000 with the Actias?

As a former ASQC certified Quality Engineer in the aerospace field, such reliability issues (including the brake issue) indicate some severe problems.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
.... such reliability issues (including the brake issue) indicate some severe problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>hamguy, I bow to your long list of credentials however the problem lies in the pudding if you know what I mean. Not low bid in my estimation just some issues with the device itself. There seem to be no rhyme or reason. One person can go through 5 of these things while folks like my self have 74K miles and I'm "only" on my 2nd.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #39
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback - Dieselclacker -. I think that the problem is that very little is made in North America today and the manufactures make their parts to be as flexable as possibe (better bang for the buck). The ability to switch from metric to MPH is only a computer feature activated by a switch and found in a Chev Malabu as well - not in my US bought Toyota though. The main problem that was explained to me was that they used a press fitting with the connections (to save a buck) and did not soldering them. Probably made in China by the cheapest bidder. It may be nice to live in a isolated world but it is just not possible any more - the $$$ rules.
Just keep it warm down south so that we can flip over to statue when we drive down south this winter and spend our metric money (multiples of 10).
Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
.... such reliability issues (including the brake issue) indicate some severe problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>hamguy, I bow to your long list of credentials however the problem lies in the pudding if you know what I mean. Not low bid in my estimation just some issues with the device itself. There seem to be no rhyme or reason. One person can go through 5 of these things while folks like my self have 74K miles and I'm "only" on my 2nd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just some issues is an understatement. Workhorse needs to put pressure on their "not" low bid vendors to make things right. I'm on my second dash panel and it is starting to lose pixels and have had one caliper lock-up in 23,400 miles. Being a 2004 it is out of warranty, so what do you do? There is no rhyme or reason for the vendors not fixing the latent defects in their products. I agree with the cost factor being an issue, but the parts and components used in the chassis should work without premature failure. Some components can not be upgraded and/or replaced with a reliable component without the original manufacturer furnishing the parts ie. the Actia dash and the Bosch brakes. Both vendors have had sufficient time to rectify the problems with their products. To say these are not Workhorse problems and Workhorse should not be responsible for getting to timely resolution is wrong. Spending money to improve the saftey and performance of our MH's is a choice each owner has, but making the parts and/or components available to fix latent defects, particularly where safety is an issue, is the responsibility of Workhorse. This where Workhorse has put many of their customers between a rock and a hard spot, particularly with the brake issue. Who wants to drive a Workhorse chassis knowing a brake failure is almost guaranteed.