Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does any one know how much air pressure is supposed to be in the air bags inside the coil springs on the P-32 Chassis? I can't find any reference to them in the WH manual.
Thanks
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does any one know how much air pressure is supposed to be in the air bags inside the coil springs on the P-32 Chassis? I can't find any reference to them in the WH manual.
Thanks
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #3

Obviously you're not talking about your Damon are you? If I recall correctly, my '88 SuperChief had a sticker and it said 65 to 95 psi. I ran them around 80 - 85#.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
It depends on the load rating of the front axle ... I'm away from the motorhome and manual at the moment ... mine is a 5500 or 5600 # front axle and the manual recommends 80 to 90 psi as I recall.

I'll be home next week and try to get the numbers and post if no one else posts it. I don't know if you can get to an online copy of the P-30 manual or not, but that has the information.

Howard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does any one know how much air pressure is supposed to be in the air bags inside the coil springs on the P-32 Chassis? I can't find any reference to them in the WH manual.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Howard Rawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Max49,

They are supposed to be aired up until you achieve the proper ride height.It should be atleast 2" from the bump stop on the lower control arm to the deflector plate above it.This is with the coach on the ground not on the jacks.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I was talking about the Damon. I edited the subject, it did say P-33 chassis but is a P-32. I just happened to see the valve stem sticking out of the bottom of the front coil springs.
Thanks, let me know if you find it Howard. I'll try to find it online. I glanced at every page in my book but did;nt see it. It's not in the lube section and "Airbag" is not in the index.
Driver, would you happen to know?
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Mike, that gives me something to go by. I've always thought my coach rides low in the front. Can you give rough idea what the maximum PSI I can put in them? You said a min. of 2", any idea what might be the maximum I could go? I don't want to pop them. It's a 6000lb ft axle.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-08-2005, 03:45 PM   #8

6000 lb axle (like mine) = 90 psi
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Workhorse rates those bags at 110 psi.The maximum ride hieght that would keep it handling good would be 2.5".
Old 12-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Mike and Front Range Rver, The WWW is great.
Front Range RVer, We must be neighbors. I live in Parker. Did you find that info in the your WH manual? If so , if you have a chance , would you let me know what page or chapter it's in? Also, I see yours is the same yr. as mine, Have you had a lot of weird electrical glitches with your chassis?
Thanks again.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like what?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like left turn signal coming on but not blinking but only with headlights on, then beeps continuously cause it thinks I forgot my signal was on.
Heater fan continues to run after key is removed, sometimes.
Fuel gauge goes completely off the chart
Temp Gauge goes to red, but not hot or even warmed up. This gauge thing is the newest and just happened yesterday for the 1st time.
Alth not WH, false "jacks down" lights and beepers.
Denver, Colorado
Old 12-09-2005, 03:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Does any one know how much air pressure is supposed to be in the air bags inside the coil springs on the P-32 Chassis? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Workhorse suggests that your air bag pressures should be set between 80 to 90 psi and adjusted according to customer preference.

The general rule is that the higher the pressure you put in the bag the firmer the ride.

The procedure to add air to the cylinder is as follows:

<LI>Jack up the MH by the middle of the front cross member and allow the wheels to hang.
<LI>Exhaust or remove the air from the air bag and re-inflate the air bag to the proper or desired pressure.
<LI>Lower the unit and bleed off air (as necessary) to maintain proper air bag pressure.

Note: This may provide some ride height improvement as the air cylinder tends to stretch lengthwise slightly with this procedure.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 AM   #14
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Driver,

You are correct that is what the book says.Although if the coach does not have the proper ride height the tires will wear considerably bad on the inside edge.We have one in here right now a 2002 P32 with 1.5" of ride height at 85 Psi & it's scrubbing the tires off.The front axle weighs 5340 LBS.