Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #1

I have a Workhorse W22 chassis. When new the AC work just fine. Lately the AC dash fan will stop running under any type of load, light or heavy. If I let off the gas or coast downhill the fan immediately starts blowing very cold air. On straight and level highway or any hill the fan will stop blowing. Sitting at idle I get plenty of cold air. Where should I start looking?

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 PM   #2

I have a Workhorse W22 chassis. When new the AC work just fine. Lately the AC dash fan will stop running under any type of load, light or heavy. If I let off the gas or coast downhill the fan immediately starts blowing very cold air. On straight and level highway or any hill the fan will stop blowing. Sitting at idle I get plenty of cold air. Where should I start looking?

Old 11-18-2006, 03:16 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might check for vacuum leaks on the AC system. Maybe a hose has come loose od cracked.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It also sounds like a loose belt. Under engine load and higher rpm the belt may be slipping on the compressor but at lower rpm it's tight enough to turn the compressor properly.
Just a guess!
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:08 AM   #5

Gary,check your vacumn cannister and connections for leaks. Its located close by your radiator overflow bottle. Then check the vacumn hose that attaches to the vent control motor located under the dash near the co-pilots feet. A vacumn leak at any of these points will divert the vent airflow to the default position of the defrost vents. Happened to me. Richard Easy fix.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Gham,
The first test you could do is put a test light on the power wire of the fan motor,take it for a test drive under load & see if the power is going away.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 PM   #7

More parts of the puzzle. The fan will eventually turn of with the AC switch in the MAX position under any kind of load. Only letting off the gas or coasting downhill will cause the fan to turn on immediately and blow cold air. Driving up to Redlands Truck Service recently I discovered that putting the switch in the NORMAL position causes the fan to run all the time, regardless of engine loads, and we have plenty of cold air. Pulling a slight grade the NORMAL position puts out cold air continuously while the MAX position will cause the fan to gradually turn off. My impression is these two positions are backwards. Does that seem right? The local Chevy garage in Yuma could find no vacuum leaks and they did add some freon to the system. I now know that I can get plenty of cold air in the NORMAL position but I was wondering if the switch positions made sense.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
This sounds more electrical than vacuum. The fan swicth generally is not connected via the vacuum.

I would check to see if the "flapper doors" close when you switch to max air. If they do then the switch is correct. OBTW - I have the Evans Tempcon syste, yours may be different.