Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM   #57

Workhorse Chassis Owner
MY,MY,MY
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM   #58

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
There are 2 choices

1) Run with the foam pre filter

2) Run without the foam pre filter.

Is one better than the other.. maybe But, without some controlled test, which I don't want to do, we will never know. I have voiced my opinion and take it for what is worth.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:
MY,MY,MY </div></BLOCKQUOTE>jdsr, AKA 3MY
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #60

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did'nt mean to start a dang war here. Just tried to help but I don't care if you don't want to use the foam or not.
I personaly feel foam is far superior to paper, but if you use for this, obviously you have to clean it often, but it does'nt let dirt thru, just won't let the air thru either if it's filthy.

And yes this is how I found foam filters superior
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #61

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
Max,

How do you explain getting a full 20% increase in fuel mileage over what even the highest similar rigs obtain? How are your numbers derived?

Not disputing your numbers but they are so far afield from the norm as to be astounding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really know why. Getting exact mileage is impossible for me because of the generator use.
Last week we went to Moab and the San Rafael Swell area. We always boon dock and use the generator. Estimate 4 or 5 hrs in 4 days. It was 1100 miles and I averaged 8.97 MPG including the generator gas and idling on Vail Pass for 2 hrs and then had to go around.
This is typical mileage for me.
I have a P-32 (18000 GVWR)with full tank of water a trailer and 2 motorcycles on it.
I'm not bragging, I just assume the 18,000 lb chassis with the GM tranny must be more efficient.

Uphill/ downhill seems to balance out but if I drive a couple hundred miles against the wind, my mileage and butt dyno goes way down .
Denver, Colorado
Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #62

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, lots less weight.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #63

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Not dogging your decision to oil that pre-filter Max as I too race motocross and actually was working in a Honda motorcycle dealership in the parts department before coming on at the family business. But at our shop we have seen OVER oiled filters causing MAF malfunctions...you're probably alright if you're only applying a thin layer of spray can air filter oil IMO.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
You all have way too much time on your hands...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #65

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's interesting Jon, you being a MXer.
My son worked for a motorcycle shop for awhile and now works for 'RacerX magazine.
That's him on the bike, in Italy, testing the Husquavarnas, since hey were bought by BMW.
Please don't tell me motocross bikes have MAFs , do they? Do street bikes with fuel injection?
You can see by the looks of my paper element that I barely dampen the foam with Belray, foam fltr. spray lube.
Denver, Colorado
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #66

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GerryB54:
You all have way too much time on your hands... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Iknow, see what happens when you get bored.
I've got more on the itinerary for tomorrow.
Denver, Colorado
Old 10-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #67

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I wanted to say that DriVer is right about over oiling the oil/cotton type filters and affecting the MAS. I will say that K&N stepped up to the plate and replaced my MAS that was fouled by their product on my Nissan truck.

HERE is a good independent report comparing K&N air filters to OEM filters. K&N flat lets more dirt (and air) through...plain and simple.

I wouldn't put a K&N air filter on my expensive motorhome if someone gave one to me.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #68

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I don't believe any motorcycle uses a mass air flow sensor, none that I am aware of at least.

That is really cool about your son, I suscribed to that magazine for years but haven't renewed this year yet...can pretty much find everything I want to know right here on the internet lol.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good to hear from you Mark,
I agree, I'm not a K&N fan either. I had one on my last MH and it was more of a hassle cleaning and reoil it than it was worth. Never had any MAF problems tho.
I'm not encouraging oiling the pre filter if someone does'nt want to. I just barely moiten mine. But I do like the foam pre filter even if it is dry, simply because it's easy to clean and all the dirt it catches, does'nt get in the paper element.
Hearing from you reminds me. Polaris is the only dirt machine that uses a paper air filter.
I don't really like this, but we're replacing both of ours with 2 new Polaris's. Wife still wants the 400 but I think I'm getting the 500EFI.
Jon , I know what you mean by being able to find any thing on the internet, and more current too. It seems this could hurt a lot of industries, does'nt it?
Denver, Colorado
Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I'm not encouraging oiling the pre filter if someone doesn't want to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, You do have a redeeming side after all you ol' softie! We went back and forth yesterday about oiling pre-filters and this is what I get for all that discussion.

The fact that the bikes and motorhomes use air filters has about as much commonality between one another as tires. One vehicle class, bikes and desert racing machines have robust air filter systems or the engines would not survive the day. These filters need to be cleaned daily.

Motorhome filters present unique operating parameters. MH filters need to pass a lot of air, clean air and yet do so without restriction and we don't want to clean our air filters for at least a year. Ideally we would want to increase horsepower as much as practical and yet optimize economy.

I hope that we have benefited from all the information that was shared about this one little part of our motorhome's anatomy!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote