Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Planning on changing the Air Filter for the first time. What are the pros and cons of foam or no foam.

2008 Honda Pilot/Racked out with Old Town Kayaks
Slapshottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Planning on changing the Air Filter for the first time. What are the pros and cons of foam or no foam.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Funny you should ask. I just did this to a customers coach. He said there was mybe 10k or less on the air filter. So, pulled it and showed him the dirty slightly oily foam filter. I removed the foam asked what he thought of the filter. Looks ok to me.. until I showed him a AC917C filter. His old one looked pretty dirty. Also you will find that the AC917C is ACTUALLY larger than the stock filter with a foam cover. Needless to say he has new filter installed and a spare for the road. He is planning a 10k trip this summer. I also changed his 57k fuel filter. He is ready to roll with UltraPower, a new air filter, a new fuel filter, a spare air filter, a spare fuel filter and 2 1 qt oil filters (2 oil changes planned).
Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oemtech,
Great insurance.

Ed
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale;

Great Salesman
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #6

Not so much a salesman... I just what my customers to be ready should they need the product. To many times I have seen people get ripped off for big bucks on inferior products because the supplier was the only game in town.

The difference between filters is obvious if you look. Here is a photo of a 10k Workhorse style foam covered filter with foam cover removed and a new AC Delco A917C air filter (no foam cover).

The A917C is about 1/8" larger all around due to NO foam cover. More filter material and no foam cover to clean or become a restriction when dirty.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i installed a k&n panel filter from schucks. less air restriction and cleanable. not affected by water either. i did'nt use a prefilter (less air restriction). it is in the rf wheelwell, fwd on my 01 winne 35u. wh 8.1. easy to get to with steering wheel turned hard left, and the hwh jacks extended. i also cleaned the mass airflow sensor. don't remember the stock#, but it is the same filter panel as the gm turbo diesel v8
which is listed at schucks. THE K&N PN IS 33-2062-1.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #8

Nothing wrong with the K&N you have. I have used them in a F150 (105k) and my PT Cruiser. BUT, the K&N is only 4 layer gauze versus 8 layer gauze that S&B makes. One other thing, if you get water ingestion it will soak up the water and it will ultimately shut the engine down.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I changed the filter today. I would have to agree with other posts this is a very easy job. I first went under the coach lying on my back looking up and decided to go with a more male dominating position outside. I did put the levelers down some but did not raise the front wheels off the ground. Wheels were straight. Three top clamps were easy to reach and following the KISS principal I did not disconnect the MAF sensor.

My coach is 2 years old with 10368.2 miles and the stock filter from Workhorse is an AC Delco 917C with foam. The post here say this filter does not come with foam and I was wondering why Workhorse adds a foam cover to this filter, could it have anything to do with water ingestion? I went with an STP Air Filter SA3914 it has no foam only because I could not find an AC Delco Air filter here in town. The only difference is the AC Delco I took off has a wire mesh on the back and seems a bit sturdier. Both are the same size.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slapshottr:
I went with an STP Air Filter SA3914 it has no foam only because I could not find an AC Delco Air filter here in town. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Slapshottr, Do they have a NAPA in town because the NAPA Gold filter is a far superior product to the STP.

I would consider it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Nothing wrong with the K&N you have. I have used them in a F150 (105k) and my PT Cruiser. BUT, the K&N is only 4 layer gauze versus 8 layer gauze that S&B makes. One other thing, if you get water ingestion it will soak up the water and it will ultimately shut the engine down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale,
What is this S&B filter replacement for the 8.1 stock filter that you speak of? Do you carry it in stock?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #12

I should have stated that the S&B filter I have is for amy DIY CAI. But, you can go to the S&B sites and design your own or check to see if they have one already made.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Yesterday, I replaced a stock WH filter that was installed last fall with a NAPA 6316 and I left the pre filter on. After examining the old filter, I want to compare it with the new one after we take our long trip this summer. Then, I will change it again and consider using the AC 917C without the pre filter. The pre filter is there for a reason, but I just don't know if its use is better than the increased air flow that the no pre filter route takes.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #14

Our Sightseer has a little over 13K miles on it. Reading through this post, I decided to change the air filter today before our trip to Santa Barbara tomorrow. I bought a Fram CA 8127 (equivalent of AC Delco A1236C) - has a foam pre-filter, from Kragen Auto Supply for $17. The orginal air filter, an A917C with a foam prefilter, look very much like the one pictured in this post. My next project is the fuel filter. I'm looking for an equivalent.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote