Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Question: What air filter cartridge are you currently using?
OEM AC Delco A1236C & foam over filter? 7 13.46%
Napa(Wix) (4)6316 & foam over filter? 9 17.31%
Fram CA8127 without the foam over filter? 2 3.85%
Fram CA8127 with the foam over filter? 1 1.92%
Another Brand? 6 11.54%
I have replaced the OME with an aftermarket style filter system? 21 40.38%
I have never had to change my air filter? 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll throw in my two cents worth, just to confuse the issure more. My 1988 Saab has over 302,000 miles on it. Original turbocharger, original timing chain, no internal engine repairs. I spin a new Fram filter on it every 5000 miles, as I do all my cars. Are Fram filters crap? Maybe, but they seem to work for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #30
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bandcworkhorse:
Are FRAM filters crap? Maybe, but they seem to work for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have attended seminars where Workhorse techs have stated that they would prefer if Workhorse owners not use FRAM filters on the GM 8.1L engine.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,

Has WCC and/or GM stated anywhere in writing that they perfer owners not to use Fram filters?

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #32
Official iRV2 Sponsor

My opinion is check the filter brand's spec's.The Caterpillar spec filters are the best as far as filtering goes,they are rated at 2 micron's absolute.I believe Fram's filter's are high in micron's & that is why Workhorse does'nt endorse them.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Due to a severe weather system marching across the lower southeast, we decided on delaying our departure for RGV by a day. With nothing to do I spent sometime today searching the net for info on filters. What I found confirmed my preconceived notions that you mostly are not talking apples to apples. The one area where this is most apparent is in comparing micron ratings. Under ISO and SAE there is no set means for determining the absolute micron rating for a given filter. I ran into this also when still gainfully employed as an engineer. Manufacturers can pretty much state what they want to as the absolute micron rating for there filter. Most manufactures us single pass testing and not the recently introduced "Multi-pass testing has been recognized by SAE (SAE J1858), ISO (ISO 4548-12, lube oil and ISO16889, hydraulic or fuel), ANSI (American National Standards Institute) and NFPA (National Fluid Power Association)."
Multi-pass testing uses a specified contaminant, of known sizes, added regularly in measured quantities to the fluid which is pumped continuously through the filter. Measured samples of fluid are then taken at timed intervals from the upstream and downstream sides of the filter. The contaminant in the samples is measured for particle sizes and quantities of each size or range of sizes. From these upstream and downstream measurements, a Beta ratio is formulated by dividing the number of particles of a particular size in the upstream flow by the number of particles of the same size in the downstream flow. The results of this type testing are the more reliable BETA RATIO.

A lot of people, both on the engineering side and individuals with simply an interest if making sure they have the best possible filtration for their toys. The conclusion I arrived at is that, the same as I think someone already posted, you get what you pay for. There does seem to be a whole lot of people who do not like Fram. Also, on the SHO enthusiast site AC DELCO has fallen out of favor.

At least for lube oil filtration I will be sticking with NAPA GOLD.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 01-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a link to sites of interest regarding filters:
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/using_b...g_filters.html

2004 CR-V EX