Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Question: What air filter cartridge are you currently using?
OEM AC Delco A1236C & foam over filter? 7 13.46%
Napa(Wix) (4)6316 & foam over filter? 9 17.31%
Fram CA8127 without the foam over filter? 2 3.85%
Fram CA8127 with the foam over filter? 1 1.92%
Another Brand? 6 11.54%
I have replaced the OME with an aftermarket style filter system? 21 40.38%
I have never had to change my air filter? 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is time to replace the air filter once again (12000miles or once a year). The first two times I used a NAPA 6316 (Wix 46316) and the OEM foam over filter. This time I decided on using the Fram CA8127. The AC (OEM) and NAPA (Wix) filters are 1 5/8" thick, while the Fram is thicker. It includes the pleated paper, as does the OME and other brands I have looked at, but it also has a foam layer attached to the bottom side. That way it ends up being the same thickness as with the OEM with the foam over filter installed.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is time to replace the air filter once again (12000miles or once a year). The first two times I used a NAPA 6316 (Wix 46316) and the OEM foam over filter. This time I decided on using the Fram CA8127. The AC (OEM) and NAPA (Wix) filters are 1 5/8" thick, while the Fram is thicker. It includes the pleated paper, as does the OME and other brands I have looked at, but it also has a foam layer attached to the bottom side. That way it ends up being the same thickness as with the OEM with the foam over filter installed.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Geechee I would stick with the same filter you have been using, if you have not experienced water into filter box the seal on your filter now is keeping it out and from your senser behind the filter. To change to other filter may give you more headaches than you wish.
I can't answer your poll because I have a new CAI.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I would add a button for CAI cold air intake and one for UltraPower cold air intake!!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
I would add a button for CAI cold air intake and one for UltraPower cold air intake!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike, Option #6 has that covered. It has more poll votes than any other filter device or media.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer is correct; Option #6 would cover any application other than the Original Equipment Manufacture installed systems. I was not trying to make this an advertisement for any of the aftermarket systems. I have no ax to grind one way or the other. I was just looking for a platform to determine what most owners are doing when it comes to engine air filtration.

I don't think sealing will be any different with the Fram than with the AC Delco / NAPA filters. However, we are departing on a 1500+(3000+ round trip) mile adventure this week-end that will be the test for the pudding.

DriVer, on the subject of filters; why did WCC / GM go with a lower capacity oil filter for the 8.1L than they did for any other V8 since the 1960's? The PF1218 is a direct replacement for the OEM PF454 with ≈ twice the capacity. In the MH applications there seems to be no clearance considerations that prevent using a longer filter cartridge.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 01-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geechee:
... on the subject of filters; why did WCC / GM go with a lower capacity oil filter for the 8.1L than they did for any other V8 since the 1960's? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The filter is designed to exceed the maintenance interval of 3 months or 3,000 miles therefore the smaller capacity filter is adequate to the task for which it was designed. Opening up the AC filter one can see quite a bit of filter media and this is what I understand is the most important attribute of a filter. I use the short M1-111 synthetic filter BTW.

Increased capacity oil filters add an insignificant amount of oil that provides little in benefit and still needs to be disposed of as does the normal capacity.

Multiply the fleetwide use of short filters and swap that with extended capacity filters that require changing at 3/3 and you can obviously see the waste in oil alone that makes for additional stress on the supply and disposal.

You can install 1 gallon filter on the engine is you so choose however the maintenance interval I quoted above still needs to be considered.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, Thanks for getting back. The filter capacity has little to do with the recommended maintenance interval. That is based solely on the continued ability of the oil to meet the requirements for the application. All lubricants contain additives that break down under normal operating temperatures and the loads applied during engine operation. I disagree that this cannot be reduced by increasing the capacity for lubricating oil. The larger the capacity the lower the number of cycles the entire volumes of oil passes through the engine. This results in an overall lower operating temperature for the lubricant which would in fact equal a longer life span. I will accept that the difference in capacity between the OEM and lager cartridge I use has very little impact. However, add a system such as the Lube Refiner, such as I used on my commercial fishing boats, and you would double the engine capacity. I submit this would have dramatic impact on the lifespan of any lubricant you use. I know that most large operations do not depend on set intervals, but rather on having the lubricant analyzed regularly to determine if it still meets the engine manufactures specifications. We less affluent citizens however follow the recommended intervals method.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 01-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geechee:
... I disagree that this cannot be reduced by increasing the capacity for lubricating oil. The larger the capacity the lower the number of cycles the entire volumes of oil passes through the engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That maybe the case in marine applications where one might be able to double or more the crankcase capacity by storing return oil in a tank other than an oil pan however if we're talking an additional 1/2 quart of oil capacity in a filter I see the performance gain or benefit being negligible.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Ahhh come on DriVer.... We all know it boils down to money. The OEM's will not spend a $1 on a part when a 50 cent one works and meets MINIMUM requirements.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ahhh come on DriVer.... We all know it boils down to money. The OEM's will not spend a $1 on a part when a 50 cent one works and meets MINIMUM requirements </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here, Here oemtech. Not sure if you are being facetious or not. Whatever, you hit the nail on the head. However, it is because I, and I assume almost everyone, want the most for the least. That's why some spead so much for aftermarket add-ons. Save a buck in the initial purchase and then configure it to meet your needs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That maybe the case in marine applications </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Driver, let me assure you it is not just in the marine world where more equals better.

As of right now 56% still have the OEM set-up for air filtration.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
The OEM's will not spend a $1 on a part when a 50 cent one works and meets MINIMUM requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Anyone can make an argument when a component does not meet minimum requirements however there is no argument when the component is adequate to assure a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty when used as directed.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am baffled by the points and opinions being posted here on such topics like oil filters and the like.

I see no benefit about what is being stated. If you spend $100K plus on a motorhome why are you worried about about a $ 8.00 oil filter or a $50 air filter?

I believe in following the OEM recomended maintenace and component replacement schedules. Using a non-standard or non-recomended part will possibly cause a warranty question in certain situations.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I double my oil capacity to double the time between changes, what have I gained other than some time savings on the labor end of it?

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote