Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #1

I have come into possession of a blower from an air hockey table. Not sure of capacity yet, but seems like it would be ideal for adding additional air to the engine.

Perhaps installing it just up-stream of the filter would provide more air to the engine!?

The only installation problem is that it runs on 115VAC.

I also have a small compressor that runs on 12VDC that probably could be used, and easier to install.

Is any amount of "extra" air to aid combustion good, or is there a lower limit in which I'd just be wasting effort to install either of these components?

I'm not trying to install a turbo boost...just aid combustion as much as practical with equipment on hand.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2006, 03:19 AM   #2

I have come into possession of a blower from an air hockey table. Not sure of capacity yet, but seems like it would be ideal for adding additional air to the engine.

Perhaps installing it just up-stream of the filter would provide more air to the engine!?

The only installation problem is that it runs on 115VAC.

I also have a small compressor that runs on 12VDC that probably could be used, and easier to install.

Is any amount of "extra" air to aid combustion good, or is there a lower limit in which I'd just be wasting effort to install either of these components?

I'm not trying to install a turbo boost...just aid combustion as much as practical with equipment on hand.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:18 AM   #3

I'm not a wrench head or an engineer but I don't think you'd gain anything. First you're converting 12Vdc to 120AC that's consuming energy, then there is the added weight of the two units. I think the energy gained would be offset by the energy used to generate the energy gained.

Just my two cents.

Tincup

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:06 AM   #4

Hey, and thanks for your "two cents."

Both the compressor and the blower weigh ounces, and probably not over a lb., esp. for the blower.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #5

The June 2006 issue if Motorhome Magazine (pg. 103) shows how someone installed an Atwood 4000 inline blige blower to his air intake on both Ford 460s and Chevy 454s. Can't tell from the article
if these engines were fuel injected of carb. He claims good results and a highway MPG increase too.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #6

I saw that, hence the "idea." Doesn't look to difficult to install a small CFM compressor into the air intake. Just wondering how much air has to be injected before there's a noticeable change in fuel performance.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:21 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Humm.... The MAF only flows 890 cfm from what I read. So, where were you going to put the blower - in front of the MAF or behind the MAF?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
i sure hope he ain't a behind kind of guy. the behind idea ain't to cool.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Jestme13 you have your terms confused.... we are talking about air INTAKE and not air EXHAUST
Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you are suffocating, Air is Good!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Humm.... The MAF only flows 890 cfm from what I read. So, where were you going to put the blower - in front of the MAF or behind the MAF? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my original question I said that I would put it upstream of the filter. To me, that means ahead of everything else.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:20 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

An 8.1 liter engine displaces 494 cubic inches. At 4,000 RPM a 4 stroke engine (2,000 power strokes per minute) will require 572 CFM of airflow. (If you starve the system by restricting it, you'll lose cylinder pressure, and horsepower. By putting a larger fan (supercharger, etc) on it, you won't increase the airflow because the engine is a fixed displacement. But, you will increase cylinder pressure, and that's what gives you the "push" on the piston.

The key is whether or not the engine management system can properly mix the fuel-air ratio. If you add extra air but not fuel, you'll burn lean and hotter, which is a really bad thing if you're a piston top. If the ECM can add fuel to mantain the air-fuel ratio, you should be able to realize a horsepower gain.

However, more power comes from more fuel so I don't see any improvements in fuel economy from this. The only way I can see that is if it's an older engine that wasn't living up to it's potential because of a weak link someplace in it's power design. I personally don't see that as the case with a recent year Vortec 8100, which is a pretty well optimized powerplant.

On the other hand, if the blower wasn't turned on, it would probably act as a restriction to the engine's airflow.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 PM   #14

Cruzer,

Thanks for the detailed info. That's the sort of answer I was looking for.