Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 01:35 PM   #1

Allison Fluid Cold Level Check

Drained my fluid yesterday and refilled with the same amount. A cold check showed overfull. Drained 2 quarts and showed low so started adding 1 pint at a time until I replaced approximately 1 quart. Unfortunately, engine and transmission were getting warm and the fluid level was rising so I called it a day and checked cold this morning. Showed about 1/8” below cold band lower line so I added another pint and rechecked a while later. Noting the coolant level was still up due to running motor earlier, I now found the fluid 3/8” above the upper cold band line.

Kind of feel like I am chasing my tail here. Does anyone know how long you can run the system before a cold check becomes inaccurate?

I have now called it a day and will recheck in the morning when I know it’s truly cold.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never check my transmission fluid when cold. Allison says check it when it is hot.

I'd suggest getting it hot and then check it. Go from there.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #3

Don't know your model but most check warm with the control console per instructions
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:30 PM   #4

Manual is very specific, it must fall within the cold range when checked cold before it can be driven after a fluid change. Then it can be checked hot. So I am trying to get that correct level before driving the coach.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Although I am not an Allison mechanic I would hardly think that if the cold level is 1/8" low or 3/8 high would cause any damage, I would run it, and get that trans fluid hot and do a hot check
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Although I am not an Allison mechanic I would hardly think that if the cold level is 1/8" low or 3/8 high would cause any damage, I would run it, and get that trans fluid hot and do a hot check
Yes I worked on Allison's stall it out at fairly high RPM and get the temp out in the operating range than check it.

When you stall it out you do no damage if your clutch packs don't slip all is fine.
Stall it out in increments such as
In gear.......half of running rpm for about 2 min
In neutral...Half of running RPM for about 10-15 seconds
Repeat the above till in operating range.

If you are unfamiliar with a stall test that is the safe way.
If you are still uncomfortable than take it to a dealer.

Note
Make sure you run it through all the gears if possible first in order to insure all components are charged with oil.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is that an Allison 1000 transmission?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Is that an Allison 1000 transmission?

No, 2100MH although the 1000 follows the same procedure after a fluid change.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #9

Got the cold level squared away this morning. Once the weather clears out tomorrow hopefully I can run the coach and do my hot check.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
When doing a hot level check.....can you start the engine, leave the transmission in neutral and check level after 10-15 minutes or do you have to drive the coach for a few miles then check the level?

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowpulpit View Post
When doing a hot level check.....can you start the engine, leave the transmission in neutral and check level after 10-15 minutes or do you have to drive the coach for a few miles then check the level?
I've done it both ways and it is the same.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #12

The manual says to run for an hour and provides a temperature range in the sump and at a location I can’t access internally. I have a laser temperature gauge so I plan to run for about 25 miles (coach needs a run anyhow) and then get the sump temperature. We went for a ride yesterday in the car and the local elementary school has an area that looks to be very level. I am hoping to check it there rather than driving up on top of the wood ramps I used to get it level for the fluid change and cold check.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
The manual says to run for an hour and provides a temperature range in the sump and at a location I can’t access internally. I have a laser temperature gauge so I plan to run for about 25 miles (coach needs a run anyhow) and then get the sump temperature. We went for a ride yesterday in the car and the local elementary school has an area that looks to be very level. I am hoping to check it there rather than driving up on top of the wood ramps I used to get it level for the fluid change and cold check.
I just use the motorhome level system. I check it once in a while on trips at rest stops just leave running and use auto level on the motor home. It makes checking it consistent always.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsee3 View Post
I just use the motorhome level system. I check it once in a while on trips at rest stops just leave running and use auto level on the motor home. It makes checking it consistent always.

Doesn’t it alarm the whole time? Mine sets off the jacks down alarm when the engine is running.

Tags
allison, fluid