Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once again while climbing some mountain passes in California our Allison trans has blown trans fluid vapor out the top vent of the transmission. This is not the first time. Seems when we have a hard climb and outside temp is up, out goes the vapor which in turn drips down the side of the tramission and on to the clean cement beneath our motor home. I do not force the motorhome up these tough climbs. The RPM's have never been above 4000. I have changed filter twice since new. We now have 20,000 miles. Trans. fluid does not show being burnt as when the fluid over heated. The fluid level is right on the full mark. Warranty up in a month, any positive thoughts or suggestions? Trans does shift and operate fine.

2003 Bounder 35R
Father Mulcahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Once again while climbing some mountain passes in California our Allison trans has blown trans fluid vapor out the top vent of the transmission. This is not the first time. Seems when we have a hard climb and outside temp is up, out goes the vapor which in turn drips down the side of the tramission and on to the clean cement beneath our motor home. I do not force the motorhome up these tough climbs. The RPM's have never been above 4000. I have changed filter twice since new. We now have 20,000 miles. Trans. fluid does not show being burnt as when the fluid over heated. The fluid level is right on the full mark. Warranty up in a month, any positive thoughts or suggestions? Trans does shift and operate fine.

2003 Bounder 35R
Old 09-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Mulcahy:
Warranty up in a month, any positive thoughts or suggestions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Steve, Consider changing your transmission fluid over to Transynd at a local Regional Allison repair facility. Then take 2 aspirins and call me in the morning.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HEY STEVE....YOU ARE NOT ALONE WITH THE PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING WITH THE TRANSMISSION...I TOO JUST HAD THE SAME EXPERENCE, ON THE 27TH OF THIS MONTH COMMING OUT OF LAS VEGAS IN 95 DEGREE HEAT HWY 93 INTO KINGMAN, AZ....THE TRANSMISSION DUMPED FLUID ON THE EXHAUST PIPES AND THE CLOUD OF WHITE SMOKE WAS ALARMING...I THOUGHT I HAD LOST A TIRE ON THE TOAD....CALLED WORKHORSE...THEY SAID PARK IT, WE ARE SENDING A TOW TRUCK.....THEY TOWED ME TO LAKE HAVASU TO THEIR APPROVED REPAIR SHOP.....THE WORKHORSE TECH CHECKED IT OVER AND SAID......I CAN'T FIND ANY THING WRONG.....DRIVE IT.....NOW I'M SETTING HERE IN FLAGSTAFF, AZ.....WAITING FOR A NEW CLUTCH FAN AND SHROUD TO ARRIVE SO I CAN CONTINUE ON DOWN THE ROAD ....SEE THE POST I WROTE EARLIER

RON
Mr Near Purrrfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron sorry to hear about your fan. We had our fan come apart while climbing the Grape Vine on Hwy 5 between Bakersfield and LA, Talk about something lound and the vibration. We were towed to Lancaster for the fix. Seems like the bottom shroud got sucked up into the fan blade. The new bottom shroud is suppose to be made of heavier matterial. I still hold my breath every time we are pulling a long hill and the fan clutch kicks in. As far as the trans goes WH sent me to a shop in Mojave some time back to address this blow by issue. There answer was to take a pint of fluid out of the trans so when it got hot there was room for expansion. I still had blow by when climbing hills when outside temp was above 90 or so. I do know this is NOT normal. I have another appointment next week to address this blow by. Maybe Driver would know if changing to Transynd will solve this problem. I believe the newer WH allison trans comes with Transynd. Pleas let me know what your outcome is.

Steve Mulcahy 2003 Bounder 35R
Old 10-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MR NEAR PURRRFIC:
... THIS MONTH COMMING OUT OF LAS VEGAS IN 95 DEGREE HEAT HWY 93 INTO KINGMAN, AZ....THE TRANSMISSION DUMPED FLUID ON THE EXHAUST PIPES AND THE CLOUD OF WHITE SMOKE WAS ALARMING... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ron, If you'll excuse me I write back in lower case, no need to get excited.

I ran Route 95 north from Blythe to Vegas in the higest heat in August and up and over the Hump to Pahrump on 165 without loosing a drop of transmission fluid.

I'm sure that changing to Transynd before coming out to the desert was a big help. I highly recommend it. Steve, you're right all the Allison transmissions that ship from Union City have Transynd installed as standard equipment.

The "key" if you will was that I has an Allison Region Service Center power flush my transmission. They (Allison) assure me that I have a high concentration of Transynd and I do not need any further flushes or changes for a good long time.

Big plus is I feel a lot better knowing that my Allison is running the best possible fluid it can. It's happy and I'm happy.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
. . . Consider changing your transmission fluid over to Transynd . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't lost any trans fluid or had any probs with the Allison tranny, but still plan to switch over to Transynd this winter.

Currently have about 7K miles on unit, will switch to Mobil 1 at 15K.

Gary
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:19 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any possibility that the dip stick is out of calibration or had been installed incorrectly and there is too much fluid? Just a thought.

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
First, DriVer, Changing to Transynd is not the answer. If it will not handle the hills and heat with the stock fluid then Alison transmissions are complete junk. Now you and I and everyone else knows that Alison transmissions are not junk. I would get a hold of Alison and get this thing fixed or replaced.

Second, Steve Mulcahy, DO NOT drive your motorhome until this problem is fixed. The number one cause of motorhome fires is transmission fluid on a hot engine.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
I would get a hold of Alison and get this thing fixed or replaced. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree, ruling out a mechanical problem with the transmission is essential. Good advice! AND while your at the Allison Regional Service Center have your transmission power flushed.

Thanks for posting the hazard warning regarding transmission fluid on hot engines.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:47 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Steve,

May sound like a simple question but, What is you combined gross vehicle weight (coach and toad). If it is over the 26k recommended by WH this could be part of your answer. The warranty is based on discovery. If you identified this problem to WH prior to the expiration they should, and normally do, cover the repairs.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Mulcahy:

2003 Bounder 35R </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Transmission sump being overfilled is the most common cause for this problem. When you check or top off the fluid to make sure it is at the "full" mark, are you doing it with the trans at normal operating operating temperature? If you check the fluid when the trans isn't fully warm, it will always check low and if you top it off you end up overfilled. This results in foaming, potential damage to the clutches and fluid being vented out of the trans.

The dipstick could be miscalibrated, but that should lead to this being an extremely widespread problem.

2005 Chevrolet 2500 HD CC 8.1L/Allison
Alan554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:03 PM   #13
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
High heat and strain. I wonder if this would take place if the incoming air was forced thru the radiator as it is in normally configured cars and trucks. Motorhomes have too many escape routes for the incoming air.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok our motorhome is not over loaded so I do not think I put to much strain on the trans. I do not know about relief valves but I would suspect there is such a thing build in the the trans and if working properly it would refief before the vapor relief valve goes off.

Now my next question has anyone put a trans. cooler on their Allison? If it is a heat related problem this may be the only fix?