Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
Allison Trans Temp Gauge

Has anyone added a bung to their Allison trans pan for a trans temp guage? What did you use? Or did you buy the larger Aluminum aftermarket pan with the fitting in it?
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2019, 08:52 PM   #2

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use a ultra gauge plugged into the obd.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Is the pan the right place to read it?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

I plumbed a T into the steel line heading from the transmission to the cooler. The T was simple and had compression fittings and is made just for the Allison transmissions that GM uses.

I used a small pipe cutter and just cut the tube and slipped the T into place. I actually cut about 3/4” out of the existing steel line and slipped the T into place. Maybe 1/2 a pint of fluid drained out of the line when cut.

Below is the fitting I used. It seems a little expensive but it is designed to work with the Allison Transmission cooler lines. It works perfect and installation was simple. I have this on both my W22 and W24 chassis coaches. Works with either the 5 or 6 speed Allison. I also use the Max Tow gauges.

https://www.maxtow.com/transmission-...-allison-1000/

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
Is the pan the right place to read it?
IMO the correct place is in the the supply line to the cooler. This will show you the hottest fluid in the transmission or very close to the hottest. If your transmission begins to heat up you will be able to see the temp increase here before anywhere else in the system.

The fluid in the oil pan has already been cooled. The fluid in the pan will be 20-30 degrees cooler than the fluid headed to the cooler.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 PM   #6

What type of temperature sensor, connectors and gauge did you use? I assume it will be completely separate from any ScanGauge capabilities...
Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
What type of temperature sensor, connectors and gauge did you use? I assume it will be completely separate from any ScanGauge capabilities...

I use a trans temp gauge from Max Tow. Simple installation and it works perfect.

I regularly compare the Max Tow gauge readings with the trans temp displayed on my Scangauge. The Scangauge is always 3-4 degrees cooler. The more I work the transmission the bigger the spread gets.

Yesterday I pulled a 7% grade for about 5 miles. I was fairly light but still close to gvwr and not pulling anything. I pulled the hill no problem at around 60mph. Trans temp on the gauge got up to 170f. Scangauge showed 164f.

Under normal cruising on flat ground I typically see 135f on the gauge and 133f on the scangauge.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 PM   #8

I got the gauge and the T fitting for the cooler line from here.

https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/blac...erature-gauge/
Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
WOW, 134f for the trans temp, you got a cool running trans, i usually see 160f on mine
Old 06-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the information, plan to order same system parts and fuel pressure gauge.
I have the ScanGauge but doesn't monitor the transmission temp and fuel pressure. I plan install along with an UltraTrac rear tract bar that just arrived.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
Thanks for the information, plan to order same system parts and fuel pressure gauge.
I have the ScanGauge but doesn't monitor the transmission temp and fuel pressure. I plan install along with an UltraTrac rear tract bar that just arrived.
The scan gauge will monitor your trans, you have to enter the x gauge codes.

Your right about the fuel press, I added the max tow fuel pressure gauge to mine.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/gm/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170206_162520.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	250790  
Old 06-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CJ7365

I have the Scan Guage D and mine shows the trans oil temp under TFT shown on page 27. CWT is for engine coolant (50/50) or FWT for water shown on page 26. FIA is for air intake temp shown on page 27. BST is for boost pressure at intake manifold and reported in PSI shown on page 26. These are the 4 I have programmed in to show while I'm driving which is why I bought the unit. Just used it and really enjoy it. I switched during the trip to see what the AVG - average fuel economy was while driving at 62mph - 1720RPMs.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 06-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
The scan gauge will monitor your trans, you have to enter the x gauge codes.

Your right about the fuel press, I added the max tow fuel pressure gauge to mine.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/gm/
I'm pretty sure he has the 6 speed Allison MH2100. The Scangauge doesn't show trans temp for the 6 speed Allison MH2100.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
WOW, 134f for the trans temp, you got a cool running trans, i usually see 160f on mine
135f is on flat ground and a 65* day traveling at 65mph.. W22 chassis loaded but not working it very hard at all.

On our W24 Adventurer on a 90* day I see 160-165* loaded up at around 28,000 GCW on flat ground at highway speeds.

I've yet to see 200* trans temp on either of our motorhomes even climbing and all loaded up but I don't really push them all that hard when we are loaded up climbing steep hills. I just get in line behind the semis and let the engine chug along at 3500RPM or less if possible.

Tags
allison