Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #1

Allison won't downshift

I have a 2004 Southwind 37C, Workhorse W22 with Allison Transmission. Has run flawlessly for 30k miles. Started new trip and after about 70 miles at 60 MPH will not automatically downshift on grades. Stays at about 2200 RPM until I manually downshift. Check engine light came on.
georog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid and filter? My 2004 did NOT come with Transynd and needed to be changed frequently.

Do you know what the check engine light code was?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks, Mr. Hoagland. First it wasn't the check engine light but the "Service Engine Warning Light". My bad. Second it may, as you suggest, be the transmission fluid and filter. It was changed 23,000 miles ago but it's been about five years.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by georog2 View Post
I have a 2004 Southwind 37C, Workhorse W22 with Allison Transmission. Has run flawlessly for 30k miles. Started new trip and after about 70 miles at 60 MPH will not automatically downshift on grades. Stays at about 2200 RPM until I manually downshift. Check engine light came on.
What RPM do you normally run in fifth gear while traveling. I usually travel at around 2000/2100 RPM in my Workhorse in fifth gear. Why would you want to manually down shift if it is holding 2200 RPM?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #5

Switch on Transmission

On the side of the Allison 1000, there is an electrical switch that your gear selector is hooked to. (Just can't think of the name of it, neutral safety?). These are known to go bad and when they do, they make your tranny do crazy things. With mine, it would make my tranny get stuck in a gear. No down shift or up shift. Not an expensive part if you buy direct at Allison and was easy to change. Mine was just picky about the adjustment.
I am sure someone here has the name of the part. NTSB?
Old 10-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

I want to close out this thread as have been in a campground since the original post and was not able to test solution. I changed the ATF and filter. The "Service Engine Warning Light" went out and it downshifts fine now. In cruise control, downshifts when about 2 mph speed lost (and subsequent RPMs, dieselclacker). It may have been a little low on fluid as well. It took a little over 10 quarts to refill and I only took 9 quarts out. Thank you Mr. Hoagland.

Tags
allison