Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #1

Alternator belt shredded

All belts had been replaced on 1985 Southwind Y27. The engine is 454 7.1L CID. We started her up to check the recharge from alternator and everything indicated very good! I didn't really have a chance to run it long enough before leaving work on night shift.
Just an hour ago, I turned the engine over and battery was showing recharging. After about 10 minutes, the engine shuts down. I checked the indicator that the chassis battery is flat. I started her up on auxiliary batteries and let go, the engine shuts down. Im like... Now what...?

I hope the alternator hasn't gone bad. Maybe the battery is no good. I got another sitting next to door. Might still be good. I don't know. Hopefully I'll find it tomorrow. Anyone want to point out where to look at, I'll check it out as well
DeafManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafManiac View Post
All belts had been replaced on 1985 Southwind Y27. The engine is 454 7.1L CID. We started her up to check the recharge from alternator and everything indicated very good! I didn't really have a chance to run it long enough before leaving work on night shift.
Just an hour ago, I turned the engine over and battery was showing recharging. After about 10 minutes, the engine shuts down. I checked the indicator that the chassis battery is flat. I started her up on auxiliary batteries and let go, the engine shuts down. Im like... Now what...?

I hope the alternator hasn't gone bad. Maybe the battery is no good. I got another sitting next to door. Might still be good. I don't know. Hopefully I'll find it tomorrow. Anyone want to point out where to look at, I'll check it out as well
I need a little more information about your post title. Was the belt shredded? If so was it before or after you changed the belt? Usually if the belt was shredded it is a result of a bad bearing in the alternator or a misalignment issue.
Did you disconnect the battery when changing belts? If so are the cable ends tight and clean now?
You could disconnect the battery and try a battery charger on it to see if the battery accepts a charge.
Lynn
Old 04-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a fairly new serpentine belt shred on my 454 while on a trip last year. Mobile mechanic (Coachnet provided) was great and told me the spring on the tensioner was weak and he replaced the belt and tensioner.
There is an idler pulley/bearing that you can/should test while you are in there.

Also, when mine shred there was a lot of belt webbing wrapped around the other pulleys - make sure you check for this debris as well. This might cause the alternator to slip/not charge properly and even cause a new belt to get hot (if you smell rubber burning)
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

No rubber burning. All pulleys have been checked and runs free and smooth. It was the alternator belt that came off so I replaced that belt as well other belts. Batteries were disconnected before installing new belts. Checked the cables to make sure they are tight and is tight. I'll check to see if the battery will hold charge.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

Before the engine died. Everything looked good, battery indicated charging. I turned on the road lights, nice and bright! Noticed there are few bulbs need replacing. While I had them on, I went to turn on the dash air. I had no dash air coming out at all and that's when the motor shuts down. Since then, it won't recharge from alternator.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafManiac View Post
Before the engine died. Everything looked good, battery indicated charging. I turned on the road lights, nice and bright! Noticed there are few bulbs need replacing. While I had them on, I went to turn on the dash air. I had no dash air coming out at all and that's when the motor shuts down. Since then, it won't recharge from alternator.
You could pull the alternator off and take it to a parts store to have it bench tested.
Have you tried another battery yet?
Lynn
Old 04-30-2017, 08:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another guess - the ignition switch? If you can find a schematic see if your dash fans and alternator go thru the same parts of the ignition switch.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #8

I am having my brother in law to come up and have a look. He is a mechanic for the construction vehicles. If needed, he'll bring the service truck up here.
Another problem sprang up. I went to crank the generator but it didn't have enough power to start up. I plugged the shore power to the house and I see no charging lights. Although all interior lights are bright and appliances are working unless I unplug it. I checked the breakers and fuses. I even replaced the fuses to converter. Still no charge light. Batteries are still low but not dead. I'll have to chalk that into my list of crap needed to work on.
I bought various lubricants for the chassis. I will also be flushing coolants, drain oil from both engine and transmission. Fill with new oils in. She only has 55k miles in her 32 years of life. Basically full services. Gotta get the brakes checked out. The parking brake cable snapped... Go figure... Little things at a time, I guess. I have so many things to do that I feel like have ADD but then, I do have ADD... Lol
Old 05-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What charge light? Generator likely uses chassis battery to start, and your converter likely only charges house batteries when on shore power.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #10

Right, the converter only charges the house batteries but there are no recharging light. If it's charging, it would show steady led light. If it's full charge, it would blink. If no light, refer to owner's guide...
Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #11

Any updates?
kycondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #12

Okay, I'll give this update got a very interesting week start. I hopped on riding mower. Drove only 10 ft into work of 27 acres. Front axle collapsed. I looked and shrugged, limped it back to mower HQ... Grabbed my push mower, one section got mowed then blade flew off into tree... I looked and shrugged, pushed it back Mower HQ. Grabbed weed whacker to work on the hill, started her up and then it shuts down... Pulled the string and it snapped... Okay, well... I guess I'll have use the machete... Geesh
Old 05-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #13

Not only that, I been plunging the toilet for past hour. Not the RV but the house. What did my little brother do to that poor soul of a toilet.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #14

Operation toilet mission is complete...

Tags
alternator