Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2006, 05:13 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good job on the homemade air intake Hamie! I just installed the kit from Brazel's and never thought about a home brew version, looks like it will do the job just as well and could have saved me some money! Oh well, maybe next time!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:58 AM   #16

Hamie - I am finishing my battery / filter box and am using a rubber grommet for the air tube where it enters the box. This is the same grommet used to install tail lamps into semi tractor trailers - Grote # 91740, or Trucklite # 40700. Available at any truck stop. Will do photo next week.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm tellin you, we gotta some really creative and smart folks in here. Great idea JB, if my home brew is to loud this weekend, I'm headed for Wal-mart for a battery box.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:01 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems like a small plastic office trash can with the filter mounted thru the bottom would work too.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Magnusson Moss is a wonderful thing when used as intended as it allows motorhome owners like ourselves to buy after market components and install them on our motorhomes without worry.

The understanding here has always been that the provider of the 3rd party component or product warranties their product to perform as intended and that the vendor will assure that in the event of a warranty dispute that they have the financial capability to repair any defect caused to a customers vehicle that has negatively affected an OEM warrantied part or system.

This stated, you guys with 2005 chassis and even earlier factory warranties, I would not want to walk down the road of any problems arising from a homebrew air intake system that essentailly hosts a key emmission control device without that system or component being tested or warrantied by a original equipment manufacturer.

The S&B CAI system that I am using from Brazel's is a boxed product that carries performance warranties.

I think that homebrew systems smiliiar to the CAI we see here will open up more than a can of trouble in the event the engine goes south.

Bottom line you must ask yourself this question, can I afford a new engine out of pocket and the labor to install same?

No Chicken Little here, the sky is not falling but I would look up just to make sure.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, we are not trying to scare the masses
are we, or maybe steer the masses?????TENN.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:47 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
He has a point if Workhorse is making note of conversions being done who will be the first to place original equipment back if you still have same, when trouble arises.
If your out of warranty then its a go maybe. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:06 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very good point DV! After reading your sound advice I am now glad I spent the money on the kit- in the long run if trouble did arise I could be money ahead. Peace of mind comes at a price, everybody just has to decide how much risk is acceptable.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
Driver, we are not trying to scare the masses are we, or maybe steer the masses?????TENN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Since I've been posting here for the past 5+ years, I have never attempted nor have I been accused of trying to scare anyone. I do stand by by statement and I don't regret buying the CAI that I have installed on my motorhome.

I also have 42,000 miles on my motorhome so what I do now is very cautious and calculated but is unaffected by the original factory warranty.

If I had a 2005 or newer coach I would be concerned about preserving my warranty. I have it from reputable sources that the folks at Workhorse do get around to reading this stuff every so once in while. I wouldn't be too surprised that a home brew anything wouldn't raise some flags in the unlikely event a person's motorhome required warranty work.

All I am suggesting is to proceed with caution and awareness of what may be at stake.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, fair enough, I looked at Brazers CAI, Mike was good enough to E-mail me
pictures of unit! I did not like the unit as well as the Banks unit. The main
objection I had was Mike still used the stock "S" tube that came out of the filter,
and went to the engine intake. Banks had REPLACED and INLARGED the "S" tube with
there own design. All in all the Banks looked more professional, and was cheaper!
I would say if you said BANKS, to any RV person 90% would have a pretty good ideal,
Brazier RV,====== I dont know!!!! Thanks Mike for the Granitelli testes, its good
to know my $300dollars does do something, beside make my wallet lighter. What do
you think my SLICK 50 did for me??? No, lets dont go there.....TENN.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #25

No disrespect intended, but the Magnusson-Moss act in essesence says that you cannot be denied warranty coverage by using an aftermarket part, UNLESS, it is determined that the installation or the use of that part caused the warantable failure. In fact a Banks or Brazel's or Acme aftermarket part is subject to the same interpretation by the vehicle manufacture. Does my home crafted CAI meet the definition of "aftermarket" part? Yes and no. The filter is the same one provided by Brazel's - so yes. The filter mounting is not "branded or trade named" and could be a grey area - but "ONLY" if it were determined that a warrantable failure were attributable to the intake. Since my system and Brazel's are fundamentally the same, "plastic" intake tube, "plastic" filter box and S&B filter, I am confidant that my system would be subject to the same interpretation - was the warrantable failure caused by the aftermarket part. For example, you could be denied warranty coverage if it were shown that a MAF failure were do to contamination due to over oiling your cotton/gauze filter - the same one that comes with your Brazel's intake kit - no way his warranty covers this. I run the same risk for a whole lot less dough. In fact, I Magnusson-Moss minimizes the risk for DIY's - like changing your own oil, tranny fluid, and other required waranty maintenance.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #26
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The filter in this DIY kit is not the same as The Brazel's kit.We use an S&B filter but it's not that one.
Tenn.Vol
It's Brazel's RV & your right we're not as well known as Banks,but we're not trying to be. We are a small business in Washington creating a niche market for motorhome chassis--primarily testing and developing performance upgrades using our dynamometer. We started doing this for our customers that came to our shop complaining about fuel economy and power (even coaches that had Banks already installed). We were able to improve the performance and mpg dramatically and word started getting out about what we could do. We are not trying to compete with "Banks" we only work on improving what they offer. If you don't feel that what we offer is of any value...don't buy it! But, we do have a long list of satisfied customers.
You had called me about our kit,but went with Banks when I would not lower my price down to there's,which was about 50.00 less & has a four layer filter.
You also mention the "s" tube but as I told you the intake throttle body is rated at 890 CFM,it does'nt matter how big your opening is,it still has to get through there.
See you at the Rally!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance: ... we do have a long list of satisfied customers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm one of those customers and I had the Banks CAI and switched.

Regards
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Mike Bronzini:

I want to thank you for posting to this forum and freely sharing your expertise. Even though some of us, including myself, sometimes express views contrary to yours and your products.

If your shop was closer to Pittsburgh, I'd utilize some of your services.

Tom Nagy

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote