Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I checked the ScanGauge website to see if they covered this but to no avail. Is it possible to get the ScanGauge to report current gear the Allison is in? When I am climbing the long grades I loose track of the gear the tranny is in. I think it would be helpful to see the gear the tranny is in similar to many of the DPs that have the digital display on their shifter.
I will post this on the ScanGauge site as well.
Frank O.
BTW - I have the 5 speed Allison 1000MH.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
The short answer is no. Our unit has the push button shifter, having the gear selected and actural gear in use is a big advantage.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
Our unit has the push button shifter, having the gear selected and actual gear in use is a big advantage.
Fred, I love the push button shifter, it was one of the distinguishing features of the LX and wish I had the option on my coach.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So if there is a shifter that can report on what gear the tranny is in then I would think that the ScanGauge would be able to get this info from the TCU through an Xgauge Command. What do you folks in the know think?
Frank O.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FRANKO, i have the 5sp allison and the scangauge II. i have all available (8) x gauge parameters for my unit installed. the only one that indicates anything about the ally is the fluid temperature "TFT". it indicates that my ally is operating at 137-142 deg f.
the only x gauge parameter that does not work on my unit is the engine torque TRQ. it indicates 0 continuously. that is interesting to me because the torque is a function of horsepower and rpm and the both of these have indications. MILEAGE PROS says that "not all functions work on all vehicles".
there is no engine oil pressure indication on my unit. MILEAGE PROS has not gotten back to me about that yet.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankO:
So if there is a shifter that can report on what gear the tranny is in then I would think that the ScanGauge would be able to get this info from the TCU through an Xgauge Command. What do you folks in the know think?
Frank O.
Frank, I'm not sure if you have an Allison six speed tranny or not but I believe that all Workhorse 6 speed IPs will tell you which gear is selected and which gear you're in. I am however positive that the new large display IPs do this as a routine function.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dan,
Thanks for the feedback. I will be adding the xgauge commands that are posted on the ScanGauge website which are those you mentioned in your response. Others have indicated that they are not getting Torque readings also which would be disappointing. Some folks are getting Temp readings and others aren't so not sure why.
Who are Mileage Pros? Do they provide info related to the Xgauge commands?
Driver:
I have the Allison 5-speed with the column gear shifter so no IP other than what is shown as the gear selected. I was hoping that the ScanGauge could get this info using an Xgauge command.
Frank O.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankO:
Driver:
I have the Allison 5-speed with the column gear shifter so no IP other than what is shown as the gear selected. I was hoping that the ScanGauge could get this info using an Xgauge command.
Frank O.
Frank, I think that you can go into the menu of your IP display and change to a "Big Font", and that will show what gear you are in.

I might be mistaken, but I believe I have seen that option in the Workhorse IP menu.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
frank,
I bought my scangauge from mileage pros website for $159. the x gauge input info is on a pdf file from scangauge.
i used the gm vpw listings and had to use the optional 01 numbers.
from what i have been reading, the scangauge will not work on the 6 speed ally for temperature. it works fine on my 5 speed ally.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by DAN L:
from what i have been reading, the scangauge will not work on the 6 speed ally for temperature. it works fine on my 5 speed ally.
DAN L, Well how about that! Interesting. Electronically there is a BIG difference between a LCT1000 and a 1000MH.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FR: My need/want is to display the Gear that the Tranny has decided to downshift into and not the Gear that I have selected. There is nothing in the manual that says I can display that unless I have missed something. I have asked ScanGauge this question with no response to date.
Frank O.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #12

Does this help anyone? Should be enough info here to try to create a new X-gauge parameter.

(I apologize for the formatting, it looks better when I edit it, tabs/spaces disappear when it posts)

Signal Description: Transmission Commanded Gear
Short Desc: TrnsCmndGr
Source: GM Standard PID
Length (Bit): 8
Data Type: ENM
Range: N/A
Units:
Units (abbr):
Data Conversion: $01=First Gear
$02=Second Gear
$03=Third Gear
$04=Fourth Gear
$05=Fifth Gear
$06=Sixth Gear
Precision: 0
PID Number: 199A
Decimal: 6554
PID Name: Transmission Commanded Gear:
Short Description:
PID Length (Bytes): 1
START BYTE: 0
START BIT: 0
Data Extraction: Y = X
Data Conditioning: N = Y16
Combined Formula: E = X

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Hey guys here is a Xgauge for you...

Mass Air Flow Sensor
TXD 686AF10110
RXF 044145100000
RXD 2810
MTH 000100010000
NAME MAF
Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

Frank, I think that you can go into the menu of your IP display and change to a "Big Font", and that will show what gear you are in.

I might be mistaken, but I believe I have seen that option in the Workhorse IP menu.

That will tell you what gear you selected. The Allison may or may not be in that gear

That display is called the PRiNDeL for some strange reason.. Took my wife a year and a half to find it when I asked her to move the rig a few feet,, I'm not kidding, she could not find it.. Of course on every ride I've ever driven 3-down from park = drive, unless. of course, it was a stick shift.