Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I paid $160 each at Brazels for Koni FSD's
If your going to buy Konis, check with them first. $20 savings per shock, times 2. Stuff adds up in a hurry.
Shop labor at Brazels is now $134 per hr. That's what the gal told me when I called about getting my trac bar installed. Before they were $125, so things must be going up as far as labor charges.
Very nice people at Brazels and helpful. I like that in a business.
I actually bought the front's from Brazel's for $160 and the rears from Amazon for $179. This was when there was a nationwide shortage and more than a month on the backorders. Amazon had three left and I got two of the, so I had those installed first.

Brazel's got a few of the fronts in some weeks later and I was able to snag two of them. It cost me an hour of labor ($135 with tax) at a local place for the fronts and then again for the rears. I thought it was a very fair price because they had to put it on a lift, replace them, test drive it and then re-check the torques each time.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will try the SumoSprings. My current bump stops are yellow which I read somewhere were the stock color. I know some of the SumoSprings are yellow as well. Are there any identifying marks on the stock bump stops? I haven't looked that closely at the ones that are on there.
The stock bump stops are hollow. Use your leveling jacks to raise it enough to feel the end of the stop. If it is hollow it is stock. I believe that all Sumo Springs that fit the front of your model chassis are black.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #17

Thanks yeloduster. I will give it a shot.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I put Sumos front and rear and new Koni FSD shocks. I’ve weighed the coach fully loaded and lowered my tire pressures.

We just finished a 3,800 miles trip. While there maybe some slight improvement on good roads I’m sure the ride is worse on bad roads and bridge transitions. BANG!

Nothing helps that.

In fact, I’m removing the Sumos up front. I feel they are stiffening the ride and making things worse not better.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
creativepart, not that I've used them, but my thoughts on Sumos is that they are for heavier loads and not a better ride, and as you say, would likely stiffen your ride. Some like the "stiffer" suspension as it reduces side to side rocking for perhaps better handling, but I think a better sway bar would be better for this. It would be interesting to know if just the Koni FSD's helped.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #20

Not a Workhorse chassis but I had Sumos, installed by the PO, on my E450 chassis.

The rebound was belly jarring when going over bumps. I removed then looking for a softer ride.

After this trip from NY to FL, I am very happy I removed them and installed stock bump stops.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #21

I've been watching some YouTube videos about SumoSprings and trying to figure out if they might actually help with the "bang" that happens at road joints and bridge transitions. After watching some of the videos I got to wondering what actually causes the "bang". Is it the leaf springs hitting the bump stops? I don't think there is a gap between my bump stops and the leaf springs.

My moho handles waves in the roads ok with no bang. It's the joints and transitions that beat us up.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #22

I put the Konis on my W20 as my shocks were totally worn out. Still have the stock yellow dampers.
I still have a terrible ride over bridge approaches and uneven expansion joints.
I even wander left and right in my lane to avoid bumps and rough stops.
Tire pressure front is 85 per the charts.
I've even though about removing those yellow bumpers and try driving it without them to see if it improves the jarring bumps.

I've often wondered if my leafs are sagging and worn out but I don't know how to check for that.

I'm also just about ready to switch to a newer Ford F53 I'm so tired of this ride.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #23

I hear you F4Gary. I can do 500 miles in a day (not preferred) with no problem with smooth roads. With rough roads I’m done after 200-300 miles. The ride on rough roads is the only thing I don’t like about my moho.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Doesn't it seem with thousands of us all complaining and spending $2,000 to $4,000 on supposed "fixes" that someone would come up with a true fix?

The $12,000 Liquid Spring is too much. But if someone had a $2,500 true fix they'd sell a ton.

Kelderman used to sell a $2,500 "fix" per axle. But I see that specific fix is not an option on his website any more. He does have a revised air bag rear suspension that replaces the leaf springs. No word on whether it works well or not. Here's a link:

https://kelderman.com/shop/workhorse...air-suspension

F53 suspension "guru" TeJay on the forums has told me he removed his sumos and put air bags on his leaf springs. The last I heard from him he was thinking it was "Better maybe in the 5% to 10% range. "
Old 11-12-2019, 06:35 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Kelderman still has F53 front(&rear) air suspension kits.

see F53 front : https://kelderman.com/shop/2006-ford...air-suspension

Keldermain Rear Mid Duty Video:

Though I've always though the F53 was a rougher ride than my fairly soft air like W22 two leaf front and rear Workhorse suspension, I did install Kelderman's front and rear on my chassis last spring (Kelderman had a Black Friday sale last year, 10% off & free shipping) The Kelderman F53 is different (complete replacement of leafs springs and adding air bags) from the W22 front kit. Read the F53 install instruction that can be downloaded.
It did help by softening the ride with air bags between the leafs rear attachment to the chassis, it also added a few inches of space between the leafs and yellow bump stops.
However, it still can be harsh on really bad railway crossings or pot holes. I may change the front shocks in the spring to Koni FSD shocks. I know it would not be as smooth as a DP with it's 10,000 lbs. or more of additional weight, but I'm satisfied.
Picture 1 front, pictures 2 & 3 rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002_resize.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	266691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008_resize.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	266692  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009_resize.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	266693  
Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
Kelderman still has the front(&rear) air suspension kits.
It did help by softening the ride with air bags between the leafs rear attachment to the chassis, it also added a few inches of space between the leafs and yellow bump stops.
That's the part I can't find on their website; the air bags installed between the leaf spring's rear attachment point and the frame. The examples you posted were airbags in the middle of the leaf springs - like Sumos - and the new rear end system that replaces the rear leaf springs entirely.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
You are right, F53 & Workhorse Kelderman front kits are very different. On Kelderman's F53 front kit page, download install instructions and view which may make it more clear, though they do have a few photos.
My front & rear air bags are on a swing arms attached to the rear of the leafs where the shackles where once mounted. Ford F53 front kit is very different than my W22 kit. I assume Kelderman new front F53 leaf springs must be somewhat softer with the air bags right above the front axle. Also they provide different shocks & trac bar. My Workhorse springs where already fairly soft with only the two leafs.

I don't see any listing on Kelderman's web site for the Workhorse Front kit like I purchased last year, maybe because the chassis has been out of production for nearly 10 years.

I set my air bag front rear air pressures manually, putting the front and rear air valves in a convenient location in my " Power" basement bay. I checked the pressures every few weeks, they seem to need adjusting only when there was a large outside air temperature changes.

Video of Kelderman Ford F53 Front Air Bag Kit:

Old 11-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
CORRECTION: Kelderman's Workhorse Front 2 Stage Air suspension is still there , just search under Vehicle Make: GM and then Model: Workhorse.