RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

Another SumoSprings Thread

I finished up a 4500 mile trip in the moho a few weeks ago. Everything went great except the rough roads. Specifically, the joints and bridge transitions rattled our teeth. It got me to thinking about how to get a better ride.

I have a 2004 W22 chassis. It has Roadmaster sway bars front and rear and Bilstein shocks that are ~5 yrs old. I do get pushed around a little by other large vehicles, but it's not to bad although I don't have anything to compare it to as this is my first moho.

My main focus is trying to soften the blow from the joints and bridge transitions. I've read tons of threads on SumoSprings, Koni FSD and Bilstein shocks and still don't feel confident in the best solution. Obviously, I don't want to spend a bunch of money and not get reasonable results. So, what do you think I should try? I'm thinking SumoSprings first because of costs.

Kxbronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What pressure are your ties set at?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #3

90lbs front and back
Old 11-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #4

I think the Sumo Springs will provide the best bang for the bucks and would do them before the shocks.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxbronco View Post
90lbs front and back
That's what I run mine at too.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:35 PM   #6

The sumo springs are an easy install if your a do it yourself person and will give the most bang for your dollars as already stated. After that just depends on how much you want to put into it. The on highway handling can be improved. The jolt from bad roads and expansion joints only go away with an air ride. Shocks and spring suspensions can only do so much.

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We did run 90 psi front and back as manufacturer tire pressure sheet indicted and found the ride was sometimes harsh. We had the RV weighted when it was loaded for a trip except water at 1/2 tank, the front was 6922 lbs, rear 14,131 lbs. Following the Michelin tire pressure chart I found I could reduce our pressures to 70 psi front and 80 psi rear. So I run 5 psi over these so 75 frt/85 rear to have a margin of safety. I've been driving with these pressures for a couple of year now. Don't use my pressures as yours will likely be different. It did help reduce the harsh ride but it still can be harsh on especially bad railway crossings or some bridges joints.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #8

If you are trying to eliminate the bang/jolt from a bridge abutments or potholes, neither the Konis or the Sumo Springs will get rid of it. They will soften some of the smaller road issues. I have done both.

The Konis definitely made a bigger difference than the Sumos, but we did notice the Sumos softened some of the road issues as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #9

I put Koni FSD's on the front of my MH specifically for those bridges. It worked. That BANG you get from the bridges made me look up for things falling on me, lol. That really would not be funny if something did, like the TV. At some point I might put them on the back. Was an easy install for me on my MH. Next I am adding on a Rear Trac Bar. I have it now, just need to install it. I really hate crawling under the MH. But I do like to do what I can myself. Good luck, have FUN.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will try the SumoSprings. My current bump stops are yellow which I read somewhere were the stock color. I know some of the SumoSprings are yellow as well. Are there any identifying marks on the stock bump stops? I haven't looked that closely at the ones that are on there.

Trapperbob11, I will be doing the install myself.

GREGORYJ, my weights are a little less than yours, but definitely comparable. I will get reweighed and revisit the air pressure charts. I currently have Michelins.

Vettenuts, I suppose it's all about the BANG for the buck.

Edge68474, I like crawling under my rig, but it's getting harder all the time. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person and from the cussing my moho takes when I get into a project, you couldn't tell that I really enjoy learning how to fix/change things and the satisfaction I get from it.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #11

Yep, bang for the buck. I never did the rear Sumos because they are a lot more money. The fronts were worth a shot and I donít regret installing them. Took about 30 minutes.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
NXR

The Koni FSDs made a dramatic positive improvement for us, 2019, 22,000 lb GVWR and 242" wheelbase.

Bridge and other road defects that used to be teeth-jarring are gone. One road we drove today at 35 MPH used to cause the Garmin RV 785 to record an event and save the dashcam video. In other words, it was so bad in s couple of spots that the Garmin thought there might have been a crash. Today it was just another road.

$180 per shock plus installation of two hours labor.

Ray
Old 11-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
The Koni FSDs made a dramatic positive improvement for us, 2019, 22,000 lb GVWR and 242" wheelbase.

Bridge and other road defects that used to be teeth-jarring are gone. One road we drove today at 35 MPH used to cause the Garmin RV 785 to record an event and save the dashcam video. In other words, it was so bad in s couple of spots that the Garmin thought there might have been a crash. Today it was just another road.

$180 per shock plus installation of two hours labor.

Ray
I second that. Same result with our 2019 Bay Star. Made those bridge connections much, much better with the Koni FSD shocks. I don't think the Sumos, which we already had prior to the Konis do much for that particular complaint.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #14

I paid $160 each at Brazels for Koni FSD's
If your going to buy Konis, check with them first. $20 savings per shock, times 2. Stuff adds up in a hurry.
Shop labor at Brazels is now $134 per hr. That's what the gal told me when I called about getting my trac bar installed. Before they were $125, so things must be going up as far as labor charges.
Very nice people at Brazels and helpful. I like that in a business.

edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote