Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another Tire Question

I have a Workhorse W22 chassis with seven year old Michelin 235 80R 22.5 XRV tires that are starting to show signs of weather checking, so it’s time to get new tires.

In my conversation with a couple of tires shop, they are telling me that Michelin is the only tire company that makes a 235 80R 22.5 tire and they are currently very hard to find and are suggesting that I think about changing to a manufacturer and a different tire size.

My question – What size would I change to? Is there a chart or guide someway that would tell me what other manufacturer tire sizes that would be equivalent to my current tires and not effect my speedometer reading?

Thanks for your input.
Rockybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
paz

Don't know what size to tell you to use for replacement. If you do change size, make sure the new tires have the same of greater weight capacity.

A significant change in circumference will require reprogramming the transmission to correct the speedometer. Tire manufacturers will have tables that give tire specs. Look for a tire with a circumference as close as possible to your current tire.

The other thing to watch out for is the spacing of the duals. This shouldn't be a big problem unless you're considering a significant size change, but you should probably check just to be sure. The tire manufacturer will recommend a minimum spacing of the duals to keep them from "kissing" as they flex while driving down the road. The spacing depends on your wheel offset.

The problem is Michelin makes batches of different size RV tires at different times during the year. With RV sales down, they probably aren't making RV tires as often. I replaced 2 tires a couple of years ago due to weather checking and had to wait about 2 months to get them. If you don't want to change sizes, you could either wait or call other tire dealers to see it the warehouse they order from might have them in stock. If you call another dealer to try to find tires in stock, make sure you don't get tires with an old manufacture date. Michelin bases warranty adjustments on wear and on manufacture date.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as the speedometer is concerned the thing to look at is the "Revolutions per mile" of the tire. If the revs per mile are the same the speedo will not be affected.The tire dealer should be able to tell you what the number is.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockybird View Post
I have a Workhorse W22 chassis with seven year old Michelin 235 80R 22.5 XRV tires that are starting to show signs of weather checking, so it’s time to get new tires.

In my conversation with a couple of tires shop, they are telling me that Michelin is the only tire company that makes a 235 80R 22.5 tire and they are currently very hard to find and are suggesting that I think about changing to a manufacturer and a different tire size.

My question – What size would I change to? Is there a chart or guide someway that would tell me what other manufacturer tire sizes that would be equivalent to my current tires and not effect my speedometer reading?

Thanks for your input.
There are not a lot of this size around made by any one but Michelin. But I did a little comparison via a tool online. That being said, this tool is NOT for truck type tires. But, it will get you in the ballpark.

I compared 235x80 22 to 245x75 22 and 265x70 22. A few things you need to look for:
1) The over all diameter
2) The width of the tire
3) The load rating
4) The date code

Here are the comparison photo's:

245x75 is close to the original diameter (-.3) and slightly wider (+.3) than the original.

Now if you drop to a 70 series tire you are only -.1" smaller in diameter but you are almost 1" wider.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran into the same problem. A couple dealers said I didn't know what I had as they didn't make a 235/80. I ended up with Sumitomo 245/75X22.5.A little more capacity very little difference in width or diameter. A lot cheaper than Goodyear or Michelin and a good reputation.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
... they are telling me that Michelin is the only tire company that makes a 235 80R 22.5 tire and they are currently very hard to find .....
That sounds strange.
In March I went to a large Tampa area Michelin tire dealer for four tires for my rear axle. I didn't even have to make an appointment - they had that size in stock and the tires were manufactured only six weeks earlier.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
In my conversation with a couple of tires shop, they are telling me that Michelin is the only tire company that makes a 235 80R 22.5 tire and they are currently very hard to find and are suggesting that I think about changing to a manufacturer and a different tire size..
If there's a Camping World out there they can get you the Michelin XRV Tires that you are looking for.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unless they have changed thier policy, Michelin tire warranties begin on the date of sale, not the date of manufacture.
Some say that the tires begin to deteriorate from the day they are manufactured, and therefore you should look for tires with a manufacture date that is near the purchase date. In my opinion, way too much emphasis has been put on this date.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Unless they have changed their policy, Michelin tire warranties begin on the date of sale, not the date of manufacture.
Dieselclacker, I agree! I do like to get all the tires I buy DOT dated at the same time though.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Thanks for your input.
Check at a Costco tire store. They won't be able to mount them! But:
I ordered mine last Dec and tires came in within one week all same DOT date code. Date of production was only 6 or 8 weeks prior. Total price was best around-even with $50/tire cost of R&R at a truck tire shop(including balancing). Paid less then several local tire shop quotes all with iffy commitments to getting the same tires. Even the truck tire shop couldn't come close to the Costco price nor would they guarantee freshest tires.

Marty
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just replaced my 235 /80R 22.5 with Toyo 245 /75R 22.5 -- no problems at all with good dual spacing. You need to be careful with any wider tire as it may be limited by your rim size (mine is 6.75 inches) and the 245 was as wide as I could go on these rims (I was considering Toyo 255 / 70R 22.5). Good luck!
Nap&Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #12

Michelin X one XRV

I recently got a new Michelin brochure and they show an interesting tire. It's the Michelin X one XRV which is designed to replace duallies with single tires. Has anyone tried these or even heard of them?

The tires have a max load rating of 10,200 LBS at 120 PSI which would be up to 20,400 LBS per axle. It seems like a good way to dump a couple of hundred pounds of dead weight.

Of course as a negative, there is also the safety factor to consider. It's certainly safer to have four tires on an axle in case one blows out.

Thanks

Dave
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossy View Post
I recently got a new Michelin brochure and they show an interesting tire. It's the Michelin X one XRV which is designed to replace duallies with single tires. Has anyone tried these or even heard of them?
Dave, The Michelin X One has been on the market for at least a couple of years that I know of and it could just be 3 years.

I agree with your observation that the X1 has a lot less weight and equal carrying capacity. This is good for some applications where the GVW is non-existant.

Although I have seen several chassis with X1s, I have not seen any out on the road. My son does share horror stories with me about his dump truck which has high float tires on the steer axle. I'm not sure how that would translate into real world usage on the rear axle of an RV.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been happy with my Michelins, but are due for replacement within the next year or so due to age. My inclination would to stay with them for their great ride. Those that bought alternate brands, like sumitomo, toyo, goodyear, etc. how does the ride compare?

The problem with going with a higher weight rated tire is they tend to have stiffer sidewalls and ride harder. These darn gas chassis don't ride all that great anyway, making it worse with tires makes no sense. And these sizes are all truck tires unless you go with an RV spec tire. We also don't need the deeper tread you usually find on the truck-spec tire. The diesel coaches with air ride are not affected as much, for the 22.5's I would definitely be looking at the toyos. They have a great reputation.

I'm way under on my GVW with the shorter coach, can run my tires with less air for a pretty cushy ride. 80psi all around for the 245-70-19.5's is way over for carrying capacity on the inflation chart they publish. Could even go less but I don't think that's such a great idea for rolling resistance and cornering.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote