Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am here in Fairbanks Alaska getting ready to hopefully pick up our new 07 Safari Trek 29rbd in Elkhart in a few weeks and want to be prepared to do whatever upgrades are needed for a full-time lifestyle..(yahoo!) but don't have a clue 'bout what I am getting in this chassis other than it is supposed to have the 'new' 6 speed allison w/ grade brake. My last coach (the one I am selling now, 1999 Trek 2340) on a P32 chassis was a wonder to drive as I did almost all the chassis mods available,complete Henderson, Bilstein shocks, Steer-safe and rear air bags. Steering and stability were as close as a person could get to a DP ride on a gas coach and I want that for my next ride. I REALLY liked the way she tracked solid after meeting the big rigs on narrow highways and want the same stability on this one. I will be towing a Honda Crv and don't expect to be heavily loaded, but my driving experience of the W series is limited and don't know what to expect. I do believe that with the six speed tranny and the 8.1 I should have more power and better shifting points than my former four speed with the 7.4, but am seriously considering a few of the ultrapower mods (tune, wires and plugs). Koni FSD shocks and a TruCenter Steering Control are already scheduled, but am unsure about the rear trac bar. Handling is more of a safety concern with me as I am a left arm amputee and with turn signals, high beam/low beam adjustments etc. I feel I need all the stability I can get. Am I being overly concerned about rut tracking and tail wagging in this W series? Thanks for any opinions from you more experienced owners out there!!

AkTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2006, 06:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am here in Fairbanks Alaska getting ready to hopefully pick up our new 07 Safari Trek 29rbd in Elkhart in a few weeks and want to be prepared to do whatever upgrades are needed for a full-time lifestyle..(yahoo!) but don't have a clue 'bout what I am getting in this chassis other than it is supposed to have the 'new' 6 speed allison w/ grade brake. My last coach (the one I am selling now, 1999 Trek 2340) on a P32 chassis was a wonder to drive as I did almost all the chassis mods available,complete Henderson, Bilstein shocks, Steer-safe and rear air bags. Steering and stability were as close as a person could get to a DP ride on a gas coach and I want that for my next ride. I REALLY liked the way she tracked solid after meeting the big rigs on narrow highways and want the same stability on this one. I will be towing a Honda Crv and don't expect to be heavily loaded, but my driving experience of the W series is limited and don't know what to expect. I do believe that with the six speed tranny and the 8.1 I should have more power and better shifting points than my former four speed with the 7.4, but am seriously considering a few of the ultrapower mods (tune, wires and plugs). Koni FSD shocks and a TruCenter Steering Control are already scheduled, but am unsure about the rear trac bar. Handling is more of a safety concern with me as I am a left arm amputee and with turn signals, high beam/low beam adjustments etc. I feel I need all the stability I can get. Am I being overly concerned about rut tracking and tail wagging in this W series? Thanks for any opinions from you more experienced owners out there!!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi there AkTrek and thanks for choosing iRV2.com for all your RV'ing interactive needs regarding your upcoming W-Series purchase.

Please take delivery of your new motorhome and drive it for at least a few thousand miles and try it out before you allocate additional funds to resolving issues that you are not totally clear about at this time.

Once you have a good feel for the directional control of the stock W-Series on a 30 foot Trek I'm sure that you may find that it doesn't need any suspension enhancements.

Ultrapower is totally up to you and that's just an engine ECM enhancement and should perform for you as well as several of our members here have shared with the other members.

The CRV behind a 30 foot Trek should be practically imperceptible. If you want to reduce the amount of interaction between yourself and the auxiliary braking system on your toad, may I suggest you consider the SMI Stay-In-Play. All you need to do would be to flip 1 switch to turn the unit on and you would be good to go.

Please stay in touch with us as you proceed with your new purchase and we're looking forward to reading all about it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with DriVer. Wait and see before throwing money at it. I had a Suncruiser 33V on a W20 chassis. The only thing I had to add to it was a Henderson's SuperSteer rear track bar. Once that was in place the front end stayed put pretty well for a gasser when the 18 wheelers went by.

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by the W20's performance.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Official iRV2 Sponsor

I agree with DriVer also,drive it first.I think I talked with your wife yesterday & recommended to do that also.See if you start installing what everyone else needs,you'll never know what changed what.Drive it a couple thousand miles so you have some symptoms to work with.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #6

Listen to DriVer, he's the expert.

2000 32 ft. Daybreak
travelinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:13 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
AK, isn't your new Trek being built in Coburg OR ?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our salesman at Lazydays thought the same thing and we were quite happy at the thought of picking it up right next door to Brazels (besides, Oregon is practically in Alaska's back yard )But just prior to signing our paperwork he tells us ALL Trek manufacturing is now being done in Elkhart and our vin will be the THIRD Trek ever done there. We aren't sure if that means more mistakes because of their learning curve or a better built coach because of the skilled workforce in the area
Thanks for remembering us Mike, that was the same advice you gave us when we called. Other than the trucenter steering and Koni fsd shocks I think we'll wait to do any other chassis upgrades until we have some solid miles on her. We'll have enough other things to take care of in the meantime, like getting our datastorm with bow installed. Hey rebelsbeach, are you happy with yours or would you do something different next time?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I didn't realize they were moving Treks to Elkhart, I wonder whats in store for Safari. I'm with you wondering if the have a clue how to do a Trek, but I'm sure a motorhome is a motorhome............... right.
Now I have to see if they will use the FRED chassis under them?

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Now I have to see if they will use the FRED chassis under them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.. and a FRED in reverse is a DERF ....

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote