Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The W-22 comes STANDARD with 14500# GVWR rear axle spring set, but is available with OPTIONAL 15000# GVWR spring set. I am trying to get the part numbers for the left and right rear 15000# spings, but need the last 8 digits of a W-22 MANUFACTURED WITH THE OPTIONAL 15000# springs to get the part numbers from workhorse. The year model can be 2003 thru 2007. If you can help me I would really appreciate it. Please contact me at:

Glenn Norman (AKA - Mutha on the forum)
email: g_norman AT swbell DOT net
Phone: 972-542-9696
McKinney, Texas

As a side note:
I really like the WORKHORSE chassis, but trying to get parts or anykind of information from them is almost impossible. They remind me a lot of the State DOT employees who you must deal with to register your vehicles. It seems they also try to see how many obstacles they can put in your way to keep from registering your vehicle and force you to make at least 4 trips to their office and stand in line for hours only to find out you do not have all the crap they require you to have!!!

Thanks for any help - Glenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The W-22 comes STANDARD with 14500# GVWR rear axle spring set, but is available with OPTIONAL 15000# GVWR spring set. I am trying to get the part numbers for the left and right rear 15000# spings, but need the last 8 digits of a W-22 MANUFACTURED WITH THE OPTIONAL 15000# springs to get the part numbers from workhorse. The year model can be 2003 thru 2007. If you can help me I would really appreciate it. Please contact me at:

Glenn Norman (AKA - Mutha on the forum)
email: g_norman AT swbell DOT net
Phone: 972-542-9696
McKinney, Texas

As a side note:
I really like the WORKHORSE chassis, but trying to get parts or anykind of information from them is almost impossible. They remind me a lot of the State DOT employees who you must deal with to register your vehicles. It seems they also try to see how many obstacles they can put in your way to keep from registering your vehicle and force you to make at least 4 trips to their office and stand in line for hours only to find out you do not have all the crap they require you to have!!!

Thanks for any help - Glenn

Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, I'm just curious as to why??

You can put 20,000 GAWR springs on the motorhome however you would still be limited by the posted GVW and GWWR.

Signed ... a guy that has 15K rear springs.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:42 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, The motor home we are working on was 208 inch wheelbase from workhorse, then the manufactuerer removed 30" from the frames to shorten the wheelbase to 178" and re-attached the 30" to the rear frame rails. This makes for a 13' (thirteen FOOT) rear overhang. The coach has all the water tanks, propane tank and fuel tank already BEHIND the rear axle. The rear axle scales in at 14165 lbs.(current 14500 rear axle) with 1/2 tank of fuel and 1/2 tank of propane, and water tanks empty. Our shop is going to add a 325 lb. wheel chair lift to the rear and we need to add spring support to accomodate the increase in weight, as the body already has a two inch rear drop from level. The front axle scales in at 6209 lbs, so we will still maintain our GVWR. I had a fellow traverler in MO. call me yesterday and give me his VIN and we were able to get the correct part numbers and I will order the springs this morning. If you or anyone is interested the replacement 15000# springs are: W0000425 Left, and W0000426 right. These are the springs ONLY. If you wanted the complete assy. get W0005771 Left and W0005772 right. I was finally able to get a fellow named Rick in the parts department that was very knowlegeable and very helpful, but I had to call back TWICE after first getting a really nasty beligerant fellow on my first two tries earlier in the day.
I have had great dealings with many VERY nice folks at workhorse,(our dallas area rep - Cedric, is SUPER NICE), but they really do have a problem with their parts system.

Best to you - Glenn.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, I concur with your assessment the 15K springs will help you especially since you have a special application that you are accommodating. Remember your tires on the W-20 are 245/70R19.5 LR "F" and at maximum pressure they are only rated to carry (dual) 14,440 pounds.

In addition to your 15K axles I would also like to recommend you consider buying 4 Goodyear 245/70 R19.5 LR "G" tires. At "95 psi" (maximum pressure=110 psi cold) of pressure you will be able to sustain a 15,880 pound load. You can vary that pressure down somewhat on experimentation but I don't think I would go much lower that 90 psi.

I might keep the Michelin XRVs on the front axle - no desperate need to change those. The XRV is speed rated for 70 MPH and the Goodyear is rated for 75 MPH if that matters. One has a blow up man the other a blow up balloon.

At the time of this installation I would also suggest that a rear track bar (Brazel's UltraTrack) will more than adequately mitigate any tendency for the load in the rear to influence what's going on in the front of the motorhome while you're driving down the road. Finishing, assure that you have the best possible shock absorbers all the way around.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:29 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, the unit being worked on has the 22.5" wheels on it from the factory (Fleetwood, I think) with "G" ratings (235/R80s). I think you are referring to my W-20 in your reply post. My W-20 has a 13500# rear axle and the 19.5 tires. Thanks for the suggestions, they are good ones.

Glenn
Old 05-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, I Can't keep the players straight without a scorecard.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
&lt;snip&gt;
Signed ... a guy that has 15K rear springs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking about doing the same thing for much the same reasons as Mutha's. With my coach, two people plus the usual stuff for a week's trip (nothing extreme) brings the rear axle right up to its rating, leaving nothing for safety or growth.

DriVer, you can help with this by getting your WH buds to do a parts look-up for the rear axle parts using your VIN. If you need a "lightweight" VIN for comparison purposes I'll volunteer to give you mine.

btw: I suspect that the rating difference lies in more parts than just the springs.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know, I agree, stronger springs may not really help.

You might consider an Air bag system

In days of old, before I was bold I pulled a 13' SCAMP. Now the tow vehicle is towed by a class A tow and .... Well to help the tow vehicle out I put a pair of Air Lift brand air bags on the rear

Made a BIG difference when towing

Several companies make air bag systems for the Workhorse chassis

Workhorse sells one (Forget it, WAY over priced)

Firestone (much nicer)

Air-Lift (Best price however.... Well I was not all that impressed with the plastic bags I got for my Lumina APV, I have, however, been impressed with their performance, they are now several years old and still going strong)