Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Anyone actually install a Kelderman System?

Has anyone actually installed the Kelderman air ride system on a Workhorse? If so, feedback please
https://kelderman.com/workhorse_moto...air_suspension
Specifically interested in what the front system does.

But first, the disclaimer. We love our W24 equipped RV and know with direct feedback from other owners that it has obvious benefits over the exact same (made to the present) and similar RV's running the Ford F53...so we are very happy with it.

What we are NOT happy with is the seemingly constant degradation of the roadways in the western US. We just finished a 2800 mile 'round trip from the Southwestern edge (San Diego) to the Northwestern corner (Seattle) of the US and can report - It is BAD out there!!!

Like, a 3 mile long strip of I-5 in central CA was left unfinished after the pavement mill machine had removed ALL the asphalt, leaving a rutted and rough concrete roadway of ALL Lanes in BOTH directions...and the 1-2 foot tall ramped ends of the work area. Us, like the Duke Boys making a jump in the General Lee At least on the southbound leg we expected it and slowed to 35mph

From reading the Ford Chassis Forum, it has rave reviews and the front kit reportedly provides the most benefit. Expect the same for the Workhorse kit(?)

Thanks in advance,
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #2

Not exactly what your after here but we have installed them on some armor plated Ford trucks for a military contractor and the kit itself is as nice as it can be. Directions were well laid out and the components themselves were top notch.
We installed 4 bags on the rear with a 4-link and then a set of bags on the front which got the truck where it needed to be.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

We experienced the same thing through that road construction 2 weeks ago. I was so mad and so was DW when she had to pick up everything off the closet floor. Made me respect those 45 mph road construction speed limit signs. I am following this tread as I am looking for improvements to the front suspension. I have installed Air ride bags on the rear they did improve the ride so much that I am think about some for the front too.
38G Winnebago/W22/ 8.1/ Banks Cai /Doug's headers/Air Lift/ Front&Rear Tracbars/ Jeep Wrangler Toad/Master GM Tech/Custom Tuning And Calibrating https://www.facebook.com/whitehorsetuningandcalibrating
Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:38 PM   #4

Have you upgraded your shocks to the Koni FSD? They made a world of difference in our W24's ride on lousy roads. They also got rid of that front end "bang" hitting the expansion joints on I-5.

If not, it's worth considering in lieu of installing the air bags.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

Just had the Kelderman bags installed on my 26P Winn. The install was a nightmare cost me a lot more than it should have (hundreds). Here is my mech.s report:

WENT TO INSTALL KIT, FOUND DIRECTIONS AND KIT TO BE VERY GENERIC.GOT AS FAR AS INSTALLING SPRINGS, BOLTS WOULD NOT GO THROUGH MFG INSTALLED BUSHINGS, THEY WERE PARTIALLY COLLAPSED, HAD TO REMOVE AND DRILL OUT FOR THE BOLTS,ONLY TO FIND THAT THEY HAD BEEN BUILT INCORRECTLY, WOULD NOT GO UP INTO REAR SPRING HANGERS.CALLED KIT BUILDER, HE STATED "THAT THEY HAD 48 OTHER KITS OUT THERE THAT WERE BUILT WRONG ALSO", HAD HIM SEND A COVER LETTER ASSUMING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE SPRING MODIFICATION HE SUGGESTED.REMOVED BOTH SPRINGS AGAIN, SPREAD SPRING PACK OPEN ENOUGH AT REAR TO CUT OFF MILITARY WRAP WITH METAL SAW, PAINTED AND INSTALLED BUSHING AND SPRINGS. INSTALLED KIT ''PAN HARD BAR ASSY" ONLY TO FIND THAT THE THROUGH BOLT BUSHINGS HAD COLLAPSED SOMEWHAT DURING THE MFG'S INSTALLATION OF THE BUSHINGS, CANNOT GET BOLT THROUGH, HAD TO REMOVE AGAIN TO DRILL OUT FOR BOLTS TO FIT.ON AIR BAG INSTALLATION, ATTEMPTED TO USE THE INSTRUCTIONS, THEY WERE WRONG AGAIN, THE'BOLT" TO MEASURE FROM ON THE FRAME DID NOT EXIST. HAD TO FIT EACH UP BY HAND AND DRILL FRAME TO MOUNT, AFTER CUTTING OFF 2 FRAME MFG HUCK BOLT THAT WOULD HAVE PUNCTURED THE BAGS (REPLACED THE CUT HUCK BOLTS WITH GRADE 8 FRAME BOLTS.REINSTALLED THE SWAY BAR PER INSTRUCTIONS, IT IS HITTING THE SPRING PACK ON THE DRIVERS SIDE, LOOSENED PIVOTS AND INSTALLED STRUTS INTO OTHER HOLE, WAS ABLE TO GET A MINIMAL CLEARANCE FROM THE SPRING WITH THAT MOD. (NOTHING ABOUT THIS IN INSTRUCTIONS)TEST DROVE COACH, OK.BASICALLY, THIS "KIT" WAS POORLY MADE AND ENGINEERED, COUPLED WITH POOR AND INACCURATE INSTRUCTIONS, HENCE THE AMOUNT OF TIME OUR SHOP PUT INTO IT TO MAKE IT WORK. "**THIS WAS NOT A "BOLTON KIT*** NO MATTER WHAT THE MFG SAYS.

On the plus side, the ride is much much better and the coach is far quieter than before. So the bags are worth it but be prepared for sticker shock on the install. And unless you are a chassis shop don't think you can do this yourself.
jjguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #6

Re, teh roads out there. I have driven my 26P from Savannah to Vegas to Charleston to Seattle and the interstates are a horror. Alabama was the worst. I40 wasn't as bad and I90 is mostly OK with patches so rough it made my jacks alarm from the vibration. Scared the &^&^% out of me the first time that happened. :-) That'e when my wife said we're selling or getting air bags. It is a lot cheaper to get the air bags since depreciation on my unit is crazy.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JJGuild,

Thank you for the feedback.

But, there is some confusing points to your post. Like "...would not go up into rear spring hanger" and "...installed kit pan-hard bar assy"?

I saw you have posted in the CHF threads...
...Did you install this kit on a Workhorse or Ford Chassis?

The Kelderman kit for Workhorse reportedly removes and does not reuse the rear spring hanger:
See Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelderman bfr.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	98989
And After
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kelderman.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	98990

And there is no pan-hard bar on a W24 in OEM set-up and reportedly none added in the kit(?).
https://kelderman.com/sites/default/...orse_front.pdf

Thanks again.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

I'm on a ford F53 chassis. I didn't do the work, I had a pro chassis shop do it. They only do trucks and RVs but they were shocked at the kit and teh extra effort needed to get it installed.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JJGuild,
That makes sense...thank you.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
I'm following this topic with interest. I would also like to hear from someone who has installed the Kelderman Kit on a Workhorse W22 or W24.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:24 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
um if you want "air ride" ... get an RV equipped with an Air Ride chassis.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
um if you want "air ride" ... get an RV equipped with an Air Ride chassis.
Thank you for the sage advice.

Could you please provide a brand/make/model for our needs that has OEM air ride (see requirement list below):
1. A Toy Hauler - Need at least a 10 foot deep garage.
2. Capable of towing a car AND providing the garage space (see above).
3. Capable of starting/running/idling the engine without waking the dead.
4. Capable of idling for any length of time we desire without having to worry that the engine will De-Tuned while it runs through a Re-Gen process to clean a Particulate Filter.
5. Uses only a single consumable (fuel) with no need for an additional emission required additive (like Urea).
6. Capable of stopping at ANY gas station - ANYWHERE for fuel.
7. Routine maint. is as easy as any automobile built since the turn of the last century - Oil, Oil Filter and maybe plugs or fuel filter once in a Blue Moon.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We went through the "Goat Trail" on I -5 where you were and the only way to get through that is to fly over it. That was the roughest stretch Iv'e ever been on! So I don't think any suspension would make that stretch of road smooth out. It was horrific!
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Thank you for the sage advice.

Could you please provide a brand/make/model for our needs that has OEM air ride (see requirement list below):
1. A Toy Hauler - Need at least a 10 foot deep garage.
2. Capable of towing a car AND providing the garage space (see above).
3. Capable of starting/running/idling the engine without waking the dead.
4. Capable of idling for any length of time we desire without having to worry that the engine will De-Tuned while it runs through a Re-Gen process to clean a Particulate Filter.
5. Uses only a single consumable (fuel) with no need for an additional emission required additive (like Urea).
6. Capable of stopping at ANY gas station - ANYWHERE for fuel.
7. Routine maint. is as easy as any automobile built since the turn of the last century - Oil, Oil Filter and maybe plugs or fuel filter once in a Blue Moon.

Safe travels

you know I really like the Outlaw setup. If I could find one equipped with a WH chassis... Id be all over one! For now I just roll around in my 35' W22 lapalma with 18' toybox hitched outback.
I drove my friends 2012 Duramax diesel pickup with 30' enclosed trailer from Seattle to Salinas, CA on 1 tank of fuel. Granted it was a 75 gallon auxillary tank mounted in the bed to supplement the existing 26 gallon one. But man did we make some time. If I had an Outlaw... that 6.6 diesel motor would be mated to my Allison. And an auxullary fuel tank would be installed some where. That would be a mile gobbling combo if there ever was one!
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install