Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #15

DriVer- me thinks you are shoveling sand against the tide.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
DriVer- me thinks you are shoveling sand against the tide.
It's not easy being green!

The pundits certainly want it their way however poking a stick in someone's eye doesn't help anybody. I'm often asking myself if some of these guys aren't Jerry Springer fans. It isn't drama unless some one is getting beaten up!

What happened yesterday last week, last year two weeks from Tuesday etc. all that stuff is not relevant, what is relevant is what's happening today. The best information I have is detailed in the Safety Recall 50901-C Interim Repair Procedure. Everyone has access to the same information I have - "including" the pictures.

"Photographic evidence, what a loophole ....."
Tell that to the Feds, they investigated this case. When the NTSB has a pile of smoking wreckage to take pictures of, it's basically the only evidence that is going to resolve any manufacturing defect.

"NHTSA has nothing to do with reimbursement ....."
They just signed off on what is eligible for a reimbursement.

I can tell you this much, and this is not cheer leading, people are indeed receiving reimbursements when the evidence is conclusive .....

Mike,

Today Workhorse sent me a reimbursement for my brake repairs on the 02 Winnie. Mike I am very pleased with the amount and know that WH stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. I am enjoying the Journey very much and its great to be back in a diesel for all the reasons that go with it.

Hope all is well with you. God Bless Workhorse and the USA...
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Still waiting to see a post from someone who received real money from Workhorse for brake repairs that were performed prior to the "recall".
Old 10-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcheryl View Post
Still waiting to see a post from someone who received real money from Workhorse for brake repairs that were performed prior to the "recall".
Yes, I'm the OP and still waiting too.

Richard
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by texans View Post
Yes, I'm the OP and still waiting too.
Richard, We've seen waits from 90 to 120 days for a response. I hope your documentation supports your request and that a reimbursement is forthcoming. Good luck.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Richard, We've seen waits from 90 to 120 days for a response. I hope your documentation supports your request and that a reimbursement is forthcoming. Good luck.
Thanks DriVer, just was wondering if anyone like me(Mar 2008 failure) had received one yet.

Richard
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
DriVer, I beg to differ with your position regarding WH accepting responsibilty for this safety issue and standing behind the owners of the WH product. That certainly is not my experience.

I sent detailed information to WH in July of 2008 after my third lockup failure. I did not anticipate the need for photographs, but did offer the WH service facility the return of the defective caliper for their study, which they declined. I wanted to get some help understanding the extent of the problem, since it was evident to me the other calipers were at risk of the same failure. I wanted technical help from the manufacturer to assess the risks of continued operation of the coach, even though I had replaced one caliper at my own expense. After telling me the chassis was out of warranty, they would not answer or return any of several repeated telephone calls or emails.

After the recall was announced I foolishly believed there was an admission of responsibility on the part of WH for the safety of owners of the WH brake system, and wrote requesting reimbursement. I have not received any reimbursement and at this point I would be very surprised if I ever do. But that's not really the point. The question is, in the face of the agreement with NHTSB, does WH not have a responsibility to all owners of the defective products to fix the problem and reimburse those who have already had it repaired at their own expense?
Old 10-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Beachcomber, my point exactly!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
beachcomber, you are oh so right but I dont think wh will change even though IMO its costing them in the long run. Its not about the money its would wh step up and do the right thing. I got my answer and I wasnt surprised with "DENIED".
Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #24

Why would I want to put on the same calipers that are failing now? I don't have a few thousand to throw at WCC by buying new calipers to replace the old ones and then have them replaced in a few months. The work was originally going to be done by the end of summer, then October, then December, now next year some time. My brake pads looked great when Holland Motor Homes was checking them out last month so I can't be riding my brakes very much in the past 32500 miles.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
The question is, in the face of the agreement with NHTSB, does WH not have a responsibility to all owners of the defective products to fix the problem and reimburse those who have already had it repaired at their own expense?
Yes they do have a liability responsibility.....However it will require either an individual lawsuit, or a "class action" suit to get them to do anything.....They are already millions of $$$ into this, so the way they look at it is that they know the chances of your actually suing them are "slim to none"....

This is exactly the type of issue that you need to get ....Sams Action LIne, the local consumer advocate on ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC etc...involved in...that type of negative press has a real impact on stock prices...and that is really all that any corporation is interested in..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Would love to see this on "60 Minutes"!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
My brake pads looked great when Holland Motor Homes was checking them out last month so I can't be riding my brakes very much in the past 32500 miles.
At 5400 miles per year you are not going to wear a lot of pad material down. Are these pads new or have they been on your vehicle since new. Reason for asking is that the pads would exhibit signs of an overheat condition if your calipers were seizing. If the service center said the pads look great, I don't see what the problem is. You may be in the category of season or occasional use in Para #3 of the Interim Notice. You fluid might be suspect if that has not been changed frequently since 2003.

The only time that you should install an new caliper is if one seizes. If the caliper seizes and it is evident that it did, Workhorse should replace that at no cost to you. I am not suggesting that you buy 4 new calipers, throw those away and get new ones. You are doing well to wait for the campaign.

Remember, Workhorse is ready to proceed with the campaign, in fact I would be ready to proceed with the campaign ... all that we owners are waiting for is Bosch to come up with the new calipers and for the Feds to sign off on the design. If anything, that's what may take a little spool up time. Workhorse does not make the calipers so they are waiting like everyone else. They are using the current build new calipers for warranty work and there's not any good reason to suspect that new calipers are going to fail in the short term. The calipers I had installed last July 08 and after spinning up 18,000 miles are still working great!
Old 10-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Yes they do have a liability responsibility.....However it will require either an individual lawsuit, or a "class action" suit to get them to do anything.......
I'm not at all sure what your point is, other than opinion. Bosch, Workhorse and the NHTSA have released a campaign that will ultimately resolve the conditions detailed in the campaign.

If you are going to litigate against one you are going to bring in all 3 parties. In my opinion, legal action if pursued could delay the launch of the campaign by several more years. You know how lawyers work, postpone and extend. Can you sue the government or include them as a party to a process that is already in resolution? As it is now, owners are impatient for the campaign to launch yesterday.

The parts are under going testing at the moment and it is expected that as soon as possible that the new calipers will be released to satisfy the campaign baring any delays.