Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I agree with you George. Owners can expect to have collaterally damaged components replaced at the time of the campaign if they have been compromised by a seized caliper at no cost to the owner. I am sure that we will all keep an eye on that by asking our service center to retain the parts for customer inspection. By now everyone here knows what to look for. So IF you are a member here, that's one of the benefits.

All other parts are what they call, customer pay. It would be wonderful if Workhorse comes up with a game plan that will save us money on those replacement parts and labor.

Personally, I would want to drive away with totally brake new brake parts on all 4 wheels if I could afford to do so. Some folks are not going to be able to afford to do that but do the best you can. Its not as if we here don't know it's coming. A little financial planning now may help later on.

- ■ -
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #72

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would one want to replace perfectly good brake parts with many miles left on them? Warm fuzzy feeling can get downright expensive, and foolish in my opinion. I agree on repair of collateral damages to system.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #73

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I agree with you George. Owners can expect to have collaterally damaged components replaced at the time of the campaign if they have been compromised by a seized caliper at no cost to the owner. I am sure that we will all keep an eye on that by asking our service center to retain the parts for customer inspection. By now everyone here knows what to look for. So IF you are a member here, that's one of the benefits.

All other parts are what they call, customer pay. It would be wonderful if Workhorse comes up with a game plan that will save us money on those replacement parts and labor.

Personally, I would want to drive away with totally brake new brake parts on all 4 wheels. Some folks are not going to be able to afford to do that but do the best you can. Its not as if we here don't know it's coming. A little financial planning now may help later on.
One thing I would like to see is a modified standard billable repair time for the pads, sensors, fluid change, etc. that are changed while the calipers are replaced. The dis-assembly and assembly costs are already covered by WH, so changing out of other wheel parts that I want done at the same time,should be done for material cost and minimal labor charge.

George
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #74

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I agree on repair of collateral damages to system.

Dieselclacker
Dieselclacker, do you think I could get new tires under the collateral damage category? When my caliper was hung up and the brake was dragging it put excess wear on my tires. LOL

George
Old 01-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Why would one want to replace perfectly good brake parts with many miles left on them? Warm fuzzy feeling can get downright expensive, and foolish in my opinion. I agree on repair of collateral damages to system.
Dieselclacker, I agree with that assessment 100%! I have relatively all new brake components. At this time they are about 18 months old and aging. When it comes time for me to have the campaign accomplished, I'm going to get 4 kits and I'll be outta there! I spent the money before hand and I don't expect to spend it a second time just so that I can say I have brand new parts because all my parts are relatively new.

That said when an owner shows up to have the campaign completed do what you can NOW to save from having to repeat the process next year or later.

Folks should opt for resurfacing where practical. This will save money. I would also think that if the sensors are good, why not keep them. I would urge new hoses be installed and new brake pads if those need to come out of pocket.

If a rotor is ground, there will be expenses for seals, fluids and the such, that's all I would expect there for cost.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Dieselclacker

I can't believe this has degenerated into another freakin' brake thread...

In any case, when/if it ever comes down to getting my calipers replaced under the recall, unless I have a LOT more miles (25K now) I would just keep my rotors and pads, there is nothing wrong with them, they are still in good condition and everything works fine.

Frankly I think half the problems out there are from brake over-use, particularly on heavier/larger units. My little 31W is 17,500 loaded, with a 26K GCWR (or thereabouts). And whatever I tow also has brakes. I don't let my brakes get overheated, I keep off them, use the grade brake, and go slow down grades.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
My little 31W is 17,500 loaded, with a 26K GCWR (or thereabouts).
You should find a Ferrari name plate and not be afraid to use it!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #78

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
One thing I would like to see is a modified standard billable repair time for the pads, sensors, fluid change, etc. that are changed while the calipers are replaced. The dis-assembly and assembly costs are already covered by WH, so changing out of other wheel parts that I want done at the same time,should be done for material cost and minimal labor charge.

George
I might challenge this audiance to request this type of pricing structure before your repairs are completed and post the results on this forum as well as in the dealer satisfaction area for all to see. Lets work together with WH, the dealers and ourselves on this project. Many hands make for less work.

A proactive measure may also be if you think you know where you would be having this recall addressed, contact that dealer well in advance and suggest the same. A parts manager who can order extra inventory thru his stock order rather than a special order and a service manager who can plan his work load will save both you and them money. Come on WH owners lets make this recall work for us, not against us!!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #79

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
I might challenge this audiance to request this type of pricing structure before your repairs are completed and post the results on this forum as well as in the dealer satisfaction area for all to see. Lets work together with WH, the dealers and ourselves on this project. Many hands make for less work.

A proactive measure may also be if you think you know where you would be having this recall addressed, contact that dealer well in advance and suggest the same. A parts manager who can order extra inventory thru his stock order rather than a special order and a service manager who can plan his work load will save both you and them money. Come on WH owners lets make this recall work for us, not against us!!
The proactive measure suggestion seems to be an excellent idea to me, and I will have a discussion with my service center about billing for additional work at the same time calipers are changed.

George
Old 01-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #80

When that tanker makes a drop at the station guess what enters the tank as the fuel runs out. Yup! Rainwater, snowmelt and everything else that gathers around the vent. And what falls into those underground tanks while the lid is off but the hose ain't on yet. Yup! Rainwater, snowmelt, mud,rags, sand. Same thing when the station owner sticks his tanks everyday. Yup! If it fits through the hole, it's been in a tank somewhere!!. How do I know? Well, I worked an Atlantic station as a kid. I burned millions of gallons of naval fuel. And I had my own little Gulf station for a time in Maine. So take care of your fuel filters, fellas. Good luck!!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:10 AM   #81

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up Workhorse Brake problems

My local dealer Carl Black Chevrolet has been great!!!!
HOWEVER, I think that Workhorse is taking way too long to get the recall # 50901-C completed. Afterall, they have known about it for more that three (3) years, according to my information.
Domestic Duc is offline   Reply With Quote