Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2006, 03:33 AM   #1

Driver

I've made all the same suspension modifications (Henderson, Davis, Saf-T-Plus & Monroes) that you have and am considering the 2 1/2" anti-sway bar to my 2004 37 ft Mountain Aire. As you can imagine, with a Mountain Aire, I'm running very close (If not slightly over) to my max weight. A few months ago you were planning on adding it to your coach and I was wondering if you have done that and what the results were.
I don't expect a huge improvement, but I would like to tighten the suspension up a little more. So far the changes you've recommended have made a tremendeous difference.
Also, when I order the part number that has been posted previously, does that include any special brackets, bolts etc that may be necessary or do they have to be ordered seperately if needed?
By the way, thank you very much for all the time you put in monitoring this forum and answering our questions and issues. It is greatly appreciated.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2006, 03:33 AM   #2

Driver

I've made all the same suspension modifications (Henderson, Davis, Saf-T-Plus & Monroes) that you have and am considering the 2 1/2" anti-sway bar to my 2004 37 ft Mountain Aire. As you can imagine, with a Mountain Aire, I'm running very close (If not slightly over) to my max weight. A few months ago you were planning on adding it to your coach and I was wondering if you have done that and what the results were.
I don't expect a huge improvement, but I would like to tighten the suspension up a little more. So far the changes you've recommended have made a tremendeous difference.
Also, when I order the part number that has been posted previously, does that include any special brackets, bolts etc that may be necessary or do they have to be ordered seperately if needed?
By the way, thank you very much for all the time you put in monitoring this forum and answering our questions and issues. It is greatly appreciated.

Jack

Old 01-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Foster:
A few months ago you were planning on adding it to your coach and I was wondering if you have done that and what the results were.
I don't expect a huge improvement, but I would like to tighten the suspension up a little more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jack, Imagine that! You just have happened to ask this question at the right time. Personally I think you used the force or have ESP.

I had the 2.5" from stabilizer bar installed today while here in Ocala, FL. It looks good but as far as I test drove the thing was about 500 yards back to my campsite. We're not actually getting on the road until Tuesday morning.

We're staying behind the dealership in the Wild Wilderness Campground and let me tell you, it's standing room only here - the campground is sold out.

The 2.5 inch stabilizer bar, side view, is a completely boxed unit like the 2". The bar looks immediately massive and it's not difficult to perceive that the new bar will perform as advertised.

I am very excited about taking the motorhome on the road to try out the upgrade.

The stabilizer bar is available from Workhorse Parts and it can be ordered directly on-line through the workhorse.com website, otherwise to contact Workhorse Parts call: (877) 446-7731.

I certainly will be sharing my driving impressions about the new stabilizer bar in my ongoing "DriVer's After Market Suspension Modifications". I'm thinking that I should continue to keep all the suspension upgrades in one place for easy reference.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I just got back from a trip down I5 through the central valley of California yesterday while the "wind warnings not recommended for high profile vehicles" sign was flashing, had some gusts of wind that moved the coach literally side ways, but with very little lean during these situations. Once again, I can only say it was quite an improvement that I am totally glad I did.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:25 AM   #5

Thanks Driver. I'm anxiously waiting to hear the results. When I order the bar, does the one part number (W0005643) include all the pieces I need? ie: bolts, mounting brckets, etc?

Jack

Old 01-07-2006, 04:45 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pardon me for jumping in, but back in Sep when Driver and I were both at the factory in Forrest City, I showed him my 2.5 bar installation and told him how happy I was with the results.
After several thousand more miles I still think it is a must item to have. Major improvement in lean in a number of circumstances.
Yes the two end brackets come with the bar. The nuts and bolts used are the original ones.
Note that the torque required is substantial - 275 ft-lb. I rented a torque wrench for about $25 as I recall. The info sent to me by Workhorse is below:

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement (Front) (W22)

Removal Procedure
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist
2. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.
3. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring, and remove the stabilizer shaft from the vehicle.
4. Remove the clamps from the stabilizer shaft.
5. Remove the insulators from the stabilizer shaft.

Installation Procedure
1. Install the insulators to the stabilizer shaft.
2. Install the clamps to the stabilizer shaft.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices in the WCC Service Manual.

3. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring.
4. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

Tighten
Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to
373 N∙m (275 lb ft).
5. Lower the vehicle.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 AM   #7

Clay

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that you liked the improvement. Do you also have the Davis, Henderson and Saf-t-plus installed? I do have those items along with the Monroe gas filled RV shocks, I'm wondering if along with the trac bars, the anti sway bar is a large improvement or not.

Thanks again

Jack

Old 01-07-2006, 07:26 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Excuse the jump in here,but Driver,I see you're in Ocala and possibly very near another irv2 member,John Canfield.

I happened to see on the Datastorm map he's in the Ocala RV ranch....

Maybe you guys could hook up?

Sorry for the
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm also not far away in Crystal River.

Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Tom,for something neat to see....

In your campground I see there's a Datastorm satelite internet user.
When his dish is up at night,there's a blue light that shines from it....

Oh well.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I checked the map and there are no Datastorm users here at Quail Roost. We have free WiFi here.

Tom
parked at Quail Roost RV CG #41, Crystal River, FL

Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you're all getting a taste of our "Florida" winter right now. 50 degrees and shivering.
Driver.... I didn't realize that campgound behind Turning Wheel got so busy. I was there during the summer just getting some service done, checked out the campground and didn't find a soul in sight. Then again, that's when all you are enjoying the cool weather up north. Hmm!

We're still trying to work in a trip to the Supershow, maybe see ya there.
Streamerman
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:30 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I had planned to call Suncoast in Ocala for an appointment for Winnebago warranty service on Monday.

I may call Turning Wheel instead. Does anyone know if Turning Wheel will do Winnebago warranty work????

Tom

Old 01-07-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
I may call Turning Wheel instead. Does anyone know if Turning Wheel will do Winnebago warranty work???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, Sun Coast may do coach work but Turning Wheel RV does all of Sun Coast's WCC warranty work. They are the only authorized service center in town.

Call and ask for Terri (writer), she'll schedule an appointment for you. Ask for Tony (tech) he'll take good care of you. Tell him I sent you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote