Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

Angry Auto-apply park brake (AAPB)

Hello Everyone
Looking for some advice. We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. w24
We have no park brake. Tranny has no parkpawl.
The hydraulic brake mechanism on the back of the transmission has been removed and is now scrap metal.
We are now looking for a better upgrade at a more reasonable price.
Have seen the upgrade at Brazal's RV $3800.00 plus.
Will use wheel chalks before spending that kind of money.
Anyone that might know of a more reasonable upgrade and or a mechanical park brake would be great.
Looking forward to your advice and input.
Much appreciate it.
J P BENTLEY

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Depending on the transmission model Allison has a park pawl kit for some that did not have it, but the transmission must be removed to install it. Then you could use the drum and shoes type of manual drive line brake. that is what was done to ours.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Since you have squish brakes you could use the old "lever lock" type of line lock for the rears as part of your wheel chock system. This would keep the coach from rolling into the chocks and making it hard for a single operator.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBentley View Post
Hello Everyone
Looking for some advice. We have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38J. w24
We have no park brake. Tranny has no parkpawl.
The hydraulic brake mechanism on the back of the transmission has been removed and is now scrap metal.
We are now looking for a better upgrade at a more reasonable price.
Have seen the upgrade at Brazal's RV $3800.00 plus.
Will use wheel chalks before spending that kind of money.
Anyone that might know of a more reasonable upgrade and or a mechanical park brake would be great.
Looking forward to your advice and input.
Much appreciate it.
J P BENTLEY
Sorry you had to deal with the failure of your J72 AAPB.

While I don't condone continued use of a coach without a working PB, in addition to using wheel chocks, you can deploy the leveling jacks to help hold the coach in place until a proper fix can be installed. I've seen owners do this at gas pumps, and they usually say "my parking brake doesn't work too good". Of course, gas pumps are usually fairly level. Chocks are a "better" alternative, but that takes time and two people as I imagine you've already learned.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #5

It's too bad you removed the PB assembly from the back of the tranni as there are inexpensive repairs that could have been done. The Bendix set up to operate that brake, usually installed on Freightliner chassis', is very dependable. And repairs inexpensive. The Workhorse system is quite a bit more 'unreliable' with the 'rotten green switch' but there are now replacement switches that, from what I've read, are a bit better. Oldusedbear is the guy to PM for a wealth of info on the system.

I have seen a mechanical lever type park brake installed by a DIY'er on this forum a couple years ago, but it used the drive shaft brake drum and assembly. Never heard of a complete system removal and replacement by an after market system though.

I too had to use chocks, judicious parking, and the landing gear for months with my Bendix system (so they can fail too) until a great shop in Flagstaff replaced an intermittent valve in the system. Took me hours and hours to find the valve on-line and get it ordered. After that was replaced, the brake pads replaced, drum turned, it's worked perfectly. Cost under $200.

Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The J72 is more like a clutch than a typical drum and shoes. The reason for not using the drum and shoe type is it is not rated for the weight it need to hold. The J72 has a sintered bronze friction material on a metal disc and a large spring that looks like a beveled washer that clamps the disc to the housing. It is pushed off by the hydraulic piston inside the housing. There is nothing external. Mine now has the typical two shoes brake drum manual cable lever operated drive line brake system in conjunction with a new parking pawl system in the transmission as to cover the rated weight.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
It's too bad you removed the PB assembly from the back of the tranni as there are inexpensive repairs that could have been done...... but there are now replacement switches that, from what I've read, are a bit better. Oldusedbear is the guy to PM for a wealth of info on the system. .......Good luck!
Jim, FYI- the OP has the newer J72 AAPB, so most of what is in bold above is not accurate. Even Roger (OUB) admits knowing very little about them.

Ed
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Jim, FYI- the OP has the newer J72 AAPB, so most of what is in bold above is not accurate. Even Roger (OUB) admits knowing very little about them.

Ed
Ah. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll take some time and investigate this new system. But it sounds like it might be even worse then the older system...time will tell I guess.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ah. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll take some time and investigate this new system. But it sounds like it might be even worse then the older system...time will tell I guess.
I suggest not wasting your time.

WCC designed the J72 to replace the infamous J71 AAPB used on most P32 chassis, but they only used the J72 for a year or two, primarily on the W-24 & W-25.5, until they could get Allison to add a Park Pawl to the 2000 series trannies. I'm pretty sure the J72 was not used on a huge number of chassis, but they are out there......
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I suggest not wasting your time.

WCC designed the J72 to replace the infamous J71 AAPB used on most P32 chassis, but they only used the J72 for a year or two, primarily on the W-24 & W-25.5, until they could get Allison to add a Park Pawl to the 2000 series trannies. I'm pretty sure the J72 was not used on a huge number of chassis, but they are out there......
Yikes! A parking pawl on a 33,000 lb vehicle? Must have added thousands to the cost.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yikes! A parking pawl on a 33,000 lb vehicle? Must have added thousands to the cost.
I don't know how much the pawl added to the tranny's cost, but I'm glad they did away with the AAPB. FYI, the GCVWR on the W-24/25.5 and the R26 "UFO" chassis is 30,000 lbs.

Those that have a pawl also have a foot-applied Parking Brake, just not AAPB. Allison recommends the PB be applied BEFORE shifting into "P"

Tags
brake