Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Auto Park

Greetings all,

I have a 1998 NRV Sea Breeze on a Chevy P37 chassis. We have had this rig since November and have put 3000+ miles on here with no chassis related mechanical issues. I took it to a truck alignment shop yester day and when I parked on a slight incline and left the vehicle, it rolled backward. My wife noticed this as I walked to the office to drop off the keys. I went back out and started it up and moved forward. When I placed in in park and let off the brake, it rolled again. I pulled up again and put it into park and the same happened. The next 2 sequences went as normal and the auto park engaged both times. If I under stand correctly, this transmission does not have a mechanical pawl in the tranny for park. I have never had issues with the autopark not engaging or disengaging until yesterday. Has abyone else had this happen where the autopark will not engage sparatically?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If there is no light on, indicating a problem, it could need adjustment. There is a drum with brake shoes on the output of the transmission, they might not be making sufficient contact. I am not sure of the proper procedure for adjusting, but maybe someone else will chime in.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #3

You are correct in thinking there is no parking pawl in the transmission.
Chances are pretty good you have some linkage rusted or corroded back where the parking brake drum and shoes are located. If it is binding up it may not be applying fully. It may need adjustment but the fact it works sometimes and not others leads me to believe something is sticking.
I would not trust the brake until I was sure it was working properly. Chock those wheels at every stop you make for now.
Lynn
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

AutoPark system

Contact us at rhaag11@charter.net - - We can help you troubleshoot and fix your autopark.

oldusedbear aka Roger
Old 05-07-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Always chock my wheels when on grade. Had my coach roll away from the gas island. Never again. Will never trust autopark brake. Good luck!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldusedbear View Post
Contact us at rhaag11@charter.net - - We can help you troubleshoot and fix your autopark.

oldusedbear aka Roger
This is the BEST answer you could get for your question. Roger is the MAN when it comes to the Auto-Park systems.
He can and will help you.
One request from us on this forum though. Please let us know what you determine the problem was and what you had to do to fix it.
Lynn
Old 05-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #7

Towing

Question. Is it possible to tow 98 Pace Arrow Class A with locked up auto park to shop. I am not mechanical and need advice on if this is possible

Thank you
ejstrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #8

Sure, just pull the driveshaft at the rear diff. and tie it up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Or you can disconnect the AutoPark cable by unscrewing the adjustment bolts (just forward of the steel box).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #10

Chock the wheels firmly before attempting a disconnect of the autopark cable.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
This is the BEST answer you could get for your question. Roger is the MAN when it comes to the Auto-Park systems.
He can and will help you.
One request from us on this forum though. Please let us know what you determine the problem was and what you had to do to fix it.
Lynn
I guess Birdie was just having a bad morning that day. Hasn't happened again (yet) so I have not investigated anything. She is so low to the ground that it's a squeeze for me to get under the basement compartmnts and being parked on gravel, it's not a pleasant experience.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
I guess Birdie was just having a bad morning that day. Hasn't happened again (yet) so I have not investigated anything. She is so low to the ground that it's a squeeze for me to get under the basement compartmnts and being parked on gravel, it's not a pleasant experience.
It might pay to take your MH to a shop which is familiar with the Auto Park and have them check it out. They can drive it over a pit or put it up on a rack and inspect it better than you can crawling around under it.
If this system failed once there is a good chance it will again. I would hate to see the MH roll away and crush someone's child. At the least keep the wheels chocked until you are sure the problem is resolved. My brake works fine but I still chock the wheels when I park on a grade. I don't want to leave my MH to go somewhere and come back to a crowd standing around it looking at an accident.
Lynn
Old 05-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
My brake works fine but I still chock the wheels when I park on a grade. I don't want to leave my MH to go somewhere and come back to a crowd standing around it looking at an accident.
Lynn
All of us Workhorse owners need to get into the habit of doing this. I 'usually' do this myself.

I had the intermittent issue with the parking brake not holding when I first got my WH. It turned out the issue was that the brake needed adjusting. It is a typical drum brake star wheel located inside the drum around the drive axle.
I'll be glad to send you the procedure I used 7 years ago if you PM me with an email address. Or google it and you will find one as well.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
All of us Workhorse owners need to get into the habit of doing this. I 'usually' do this myself.

I had the intermittent issue with the parking brake not holding when I first got my WH. It turned out the issue was that the brake needed adjusting. It is a typical drum brake star wheel located inside the drum around the drive axle.
I'll be glad to send you the procedure I used 7 years ago if you PM me with an email address. Or google it and you will find one as well.
Yeah....I have wheel chocks so I need to start using them everytime. Mine is pre Workhorse being a 98 Chevy P37 but the auto park is the same. My Seabreeze is different than what I have see described elswhere in that there is no yellow pull handle for the parking (not auto park). Mine has a rocker switch on the dash. Not sure if this operates the same brake drum but it would not seem to be mechanical as there is no release pedal or pull cable.