Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #1

i have a 2002 p32 chassis and i'm having a problem with the auto park light the pump runs and then almost shuts off then the pump will finally shut off and but light remains on but brake does release. the fluid tank is full . i seem to think it may be a pressure switch but where are these located and does anyone have any other ideas ?
hellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:25 PM   #2

i have a 2002 p32 chassis and i'm having a problem with the auto park light the pump runs and then almost shuts off then the pump will finally shut off and but light remains on but brake does release. the fluid tank is full . i seem to think it may be a pressure switch but where are these located and does anyone have any other ideas ?
hellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #3

HELLIS: WELCOME to irv2.com We are glad you posted your question. I've linked your post to the chassis forum where you will get more response than from here in the WCMC forum. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #4

If the pump runs more than a few seconds I would check the pressure switch on the pump/tank assembly mounted on the firewall. If the pump runs and then stops, and the light stays on, then check the pressure switch on the brake assembly along the right frame rail. The pressure switches used on your chassis had a problem with leaks developing. The pressure switches used now have been updated and hopefully we will see an end of the Auto Parking Brake issues.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

There are a couple of varieties of the auto park system. The most common failure is a green pressure switch located toward the front of the auto park unit. There is a plate mounted on the side of the auto park assemble that must be removed to see the switch. Are you sure the chassis is a 2002? Or is it a 2002 motorhome with possibley a 2001 chassis?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #6

thew GM part # for the Green pressure switch =
rich in Va.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:31 PM   #7

Hellis,...The power parking brake on that P32 chssis is a well known problem that workhorse has chosen to ignore.

It must have been cheaper for them to tow in and repair all the coaches that happened to become stranded on the road than it was to be pro-actice and do a proper recall.

They towed in my 2002 P32 twice for the power parking brake. I hate to say it but workhorse ran out the clock on your coach because after three years they won't do anything for you.

After being towed 4 times in 14 months and with just over 20,000 miles on the coach I desided that I needed something more reliable.

It's a shame because I really bought into the workhorse marketing buzz.

Good Luck to you...
Kahunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kahunna:
Hellis,...The power parking brake on that P32 chassis is a well known problem that workhorse has chosen to ignore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a technology that was actually inherited from Chevrolet. It is too bad that AAPB failures always happen at the most inopportune time.

Regarding Workhorse ignoring the problem .. not so fast.

In model year 2007 and beyond the J72 has been retired on W-Series motorhome chassis. By exclusive agreement with Allison transmission all 6 speed Allison automatic transmission will feature a parking pawl "except" for the UFO. This includes W24 & W25.5.

The W16 & W18 will still be using the J72 system for the time being or until GM installs a parking pawl in the 4L80E and 85E. The problem is that the transmission cases are not rated for the loads imposed on them and GM won't install a pawl.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having a Parking Pawl in the '07's is definitly a step forward , for WH but NO help for existing owners. It could (and should) be a first step to making the AAPB obsolete which will be more bad news for AAPB owners.
So what kind of parking brake will they have in addition to the parking pawl, on the 07's ? A good old tried and proven reliable cable operated brake?
I'm really surprised no one has came up with an aftermarket cable operated PB to replace a troublesum parking brake that can disable the entire vehicle, likely stranding someone on the road.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
So what kind of parking brake will they have in addition to the parking pawl, on the 07's ? A good old tried and proven reliable cable operated brake? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It is my understanding that W-Series will be borrowing some of the technology from the UFO namely the Arvin Meritor Wabco HPB System. This system is a hydraulic over hydraulic system and it will use a mechanical parking brake however that's where the similarities end. The parking brake is applied by the computer and the fact that a number of electric/hydraulic switches have been eliminated brings this system forward 10 fold in reliability. A simple on-off command from a switch to the computer applies or releases the brake. Apparently fail safe in operation it is expected to assure a high degree of confidence in the system with new owners and the parking brake phenomena is going to be a thing of the past.

Along with the redesigned IP cluster and cool pack new owners of W-Series chassis can also expect a healthy infusion of WISE as well.

Workhorse is definitely in this business to compete and it plans on doing so without peer.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #11

For anyone that cares I also have had the infamous parking brake apply when you least expected. I - although went back to the old system that my 1986 Pace Arrow had Yea that's right a reliable hand brake. I purchased a cable and handle from a step van parts store in Cleveland and did it myself. No big deal. I am now in the process of by passing the warning system so it will not beep when in motion What a dumb set up it was My came on in a highway work zone 77 south
gbadalich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>gbadalich
Posted January 20, 2008 02:18 PM
For anyone that cares I also have had the infamous parking brake apply when you least expected. I - although went back to the old system that my 1986 Pace Arrow had Yea that's right a reliable hand brake. I purchased a cable and handle from a step van parts store in Cleveland and did it myself. No big deal. I am now in the process of by passing the warning system so it will not beep when in motion What a dumb set up it was My came on in a highway work zone 77 south

Did you have any pre-warning, such as the auto park light staying on for short periods or blinking occasionally before it came on?
Have you repaired it, and if so, was it the infamous ROTTEN GREEN SWITCH, the culprit?
If it's inactive at present..did you accomplish that by disconnecting the clevis and did you connect your self made hand brake in it's place.
I know that the ones that had the auto park/hand brake combo, were equipped with two clevis and pins, so that one could be removed while retaining the other.
Don't know if you got a rachet type hand brake or not, but you need to be able to apply sufficient pressure to the brake when parking on any incline, since you don't have a tranny pawl for backup.
Have you considering using both systems?,
In which case you could utilize your hand brake in case of another failure which is unlikely, if it has been repaired properly...at least, I would think and hope so...since some research has shown this to be the case...
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
gbadalich
That's interesting. I've said many times that I wish someone in the aftermarket would make a manual parking brake for the P-32. No one has ever shown any interest or they just don't know how.
Could you elaborate a little more on how you did this? Pictures would be great. What year and chassis model do you have?
I'm glad to see WH doing away with the electric parking brake on their new models but that does'nt help a bit for those of us who already have it. It actually makes it worse for us because that makes autopark that much closer to being obsolete.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
It actually makes it worse for us because that makes autopark that much closer to being obsolete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
============================
Max49--
You have hit the nail on the head. Workhorse
has gotten out of the P-32 Chassis business.
I think that all of us that own the J-71 Auto-
Park Brake should be buying spare parts from
an outfit like GMPartsDirect--*while* we still can. The new and improved RGS is brown in color
and "oldusedbear" over on rv.net claims nearly
zero failures among those that have used it as
a replacement. Roger also goes on to say that the A/P Brake is like a diamondback rattler, it
*most* always rattles BEFORE it strikes. The BRAKE light on the dash flickers on and off before it stabs you in the back. You should also hear a little buzz (rattle) from the warning buzzer. You see the light go out and the
buzzer quiets down and you continue on. You cannot ignore it!! It is telling you, loud and
clear, that it has an issue.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote