RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
If you have a W24, there is a known rub point with the power steering hose and the hard line. The hard line is still available from Ultra RV Products.

I just finished a year long diagnosis and repair of my J72 system (part of that time includes winter storage). The Ultra RV system with the Ultra Save check valve is the only thing that prevented major issues and getting stuck on the side of the road.

What was your issue? I thought you added the Ultra Save just for insurance?

2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2018, 05:37 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What was your issue? I thought you added the Ultra Save just for insurance?
I probably need to do a full post on this, but in the end it was the pump leaking internally. With the Ultra Save sounding the buzzer when the pump ran, it became apparent that the pump had been running while driving prior to the Ultra Save installation and there was an issue within the system. As we worked through the system components and testing, I replaced the pump as the final cure.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I probably need to do a full post on this, but in the end it was the pump leaking internally. With the Ultra Save sounding the buzzer when the pump ran, it became apparent that the pump had been running while driving prior to the Ultra Save installation and there was an issue within the system. As we worked through the system components and testing, I replaced the pump as the final cure.

Sounds like a lot of time involved on that.
2005 National Dolphin 6376LX, W-24, 8.1 Vortec, 2100 Allison MH 5 speed, Safe T Plus, Toyo tires, TireSafeGuard TPMS, 2019 Equinox 1.5L, Blue OX Aventa LX tow bar, Roadmaster EZ5 baseplate, SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #32

Quote:
As you worked through the system components and did the testing did you use a pressure gauge to test the pump pressure?
Lynn
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
As you worked through the system components and did the testing did you use a pressure gauge to test the pump pressure?

Lynn

Yes, last trip all seemed to be well because we moved the pressure switch to the transmission side of the Ultra Save check valve due to excessive pump cycling. This stopped the system cycling. However, I had an issue with the pump not shutting off at one stop on our spring trip and we suspected the pressure switch. Installed a gauge on the outlet side of the pump. Pump developed pressure but was starting to sound funny, almost like a gurgling sound one would get with air in the fluid. Pump would drop from 1,500 psi shut off to 500 psi less than a minute. Ultra Save was holding parking brake due to the check valve in the system. Since I had previously tried replacing the solenoid valve, which can also account for a pressure loss, in the end it came down to the pump itself. The replacement pump is an Ultra RV Product design and is more robust than the original Workhorse design. It is also much quieter. Have run the system in the driveway several times and will hopefully be taking a trip in a couple of weeks to do a final verification. Gurgling sound is now gone though.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Yes, last trip all seemed to be well because we moved the pressure switch to the transmission side of the Ultra Save check valve due to excessive pump cycling. This stopped the system cycling. However, I had an issue with the pump not shutting off at one stop on our spring trip and we suspected the pressure switch. Installed a gauge on the outlet side of the pump. Pump developed pressure but was starting to sound funny, almost like a gurgling sound one would get with air in the fluid. Pump would drop from 1,500 psi shut off to 500 psi less than a minute. Ultra Save was holding parking brake due to the check valve in the system. Since I had previously tried replacing the solenoid valve, which can also account for a pressure loss, in the end it came down to the pump itself. The replacement pump is an Ultra RV Product design and is more robust than the original Workhorse design. It is also much quieter. Have run the system in the driveway several times and will hopefully be taking a trip in a couple of weeks to do a final verification. Gurgling sound is now gone though.

Wondering how many people that installed the Ultrastop kit realize that they switched the location of the pressure switch to the transmission side of the check from the pump side? And that they offer the upgrade for free.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What??
Old 07-21-2018, 05:17 AM   #36

Quote:
I guess I'd have to see a diagram of the system to fully understand how it works but i'm interested in knowing what releases the Ultra Save check valve so the brake will apply when you need it?
Lynn
Old 07-21-2018, 05:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Wondering how many people that installed the Ultrastop kit realize that they switched the location of the pressure switch to the transmission side of the check from the pump side? And that they offer the upgrade for free.
FREE???
Wow, I hope Jon sees this post and jumps in here. If not his phone will be ringing off the hook Monday morning.
Lynn
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
FREE???

Wow, I hope Jon sees this post and jumps in here. If not his phone will be ringing off the hook Monday morning.

Lynn

They offered it to me free. Of course I had bought the Ultrastop just 8 months earlier. I know someone else who was also given the upgrade free as well who installed the Ultrastop several years ago.
Itís only a stainless steel tee, plug and a nipple I believe. Probably cost them a few bucks at most. Considering they realized they put the pressure switch on the wrong side of the check valve which causes problems on some but not all setups itís good customer service to offer the parts free.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
They offered it to me free. Of course I had bought the Ultrastop just 8 months earlier. I know someone else who was also given the upgrade free as well who installed the Ultrastop several years ago.
Itís only a stainless steel tee, plug and a nipple I believe. Probably cost them a few bucks at most. Considering they realized they put the pressure switch on the wrong side of the check valve which causes problems on some but not all setups itís good customer service to offer the parts free.

I donít think it was an error on their original design since the pressure switch was always on the pump, however any leakage at the solenoid valve or pump will trigger the pump to run again. The kit corrects a very specific issue which not all owners may experience.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:35 AM   #40

Quote:
I donít think it was an error on their original design since the pressure switch was always on the pump, however any leakage at the solenoid valve or pump will trigger the pump to run again. The kit corrects a very specific issue which not all owners may experience.

On the original design it didnít matter where the transducer was located so long as it was after the pump as there were no check valves and the transducer was monitoring the entire system.
By adding a check valve immediately after the pump and then keeping the transducer between the 2 your monitoring a small portion of the system that contains only a few ounces of fluid. You donít need a leak to cause cycling issues. Just the pump shutting off can let a small amount of pressure back through the pump which will the cause it to cycle.
Worked as a pipe fitter installing pumps in high rises for 32 years. There installation is no different. Pump-check valve-transducer (or mercoid switch) in that order, always!
I should have noticed the issue when I installed mine. Guess I wasnít paying attention.
When I started having the cycling issue this spring and called Brazels and they started explaining what I needed to change I immediately realized what was happening.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #41

Sounds like yours was cycling as well. Did it continue to cycle or gradually taper off as you drove?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Sounds like yours was cycling as well. Did it continue to cycle or gradually taper off as you drove?

I installed the Ultrastop system last fall and really didnít use it much after that but everything was working fine when I put it away for the winter. When I took it out this spring I noticed it cycling and immediately called Brazels who then sent me the upgrade kit.