Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There has been much dicussion about what you would do if you were to loose your brakes. I know that the owners manual specifically states not to engage the Auto Parking Brake with the vehicle in motion, but lets face it....it has more merit than the Flinstone method! Honestly, I have to ask if it would stop you. Perhaps this would be a better alternative than say...going over a cliff. If you have slowed the coach as much as possible by downshifting, and then... and only then apply the park brake, would it stop you safely?? We are talking an EMERGENCY situation here (when you have no primary brakes). I have never owned a vehicle that had no emergency brake,and we travel in the western mountains frequently. Thanks for your input, Ray

06 Holiday Rambler W20
HD tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There has been much dicussion about what you would do if you were to loose your brakes. I know that the owners manual specifically states not to engage the Auto Parking Brake with the vehicle in motion, but lets face it....it has more merit than the Flinstone method! Honestly, I have to ask if it would stop you. Perhaps this would be a better alternative than say...going over a cliff. If you have slowed the coach as much as possible by downshifting, and then... and only then apply the park brake, would it stop you safely?? We are talking an EMERGENCY situation here (when you have no primary brakes). I have never owned a vehicle that had no emergency brake,and we travel in the western mountains frequently. Thanks for your input, Ray

06 Holiday Rambler W20
HD tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You neded to call Workhorse Customer Service directly and get the answer you're looking for from them.

If it were me, I'd be in low gear, standing an the brake pedal and yes I'd apply the auto apply brake.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:05 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would say that in a true emergency that damaging the auto parking brake would not be as big a concern as possible damage/injury from driving over a cliff or into something? I would be trying anything to stop including downshifting, auto braking, cussing, and throwing the kitchen sink out! Just my thought on the subject.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HD tech:
There has been much dicussion about what you would do if you were to loose your brakes. I know that the owners manual specifically states not to engage the Auto Parking Brake with the vehicle in motion, but lets face it....it has more merit than the Flinstone method! Honestly, I have to ask if it would stop you. Perhaps this would be a better alternative than say...going over a cliff. If you have slowed the coach as much as possible by downshifting, and then... and only then apply the park brake, would it stop you safely?? We are talking an EMERGENCY situation here (when you have no primary brakes). I have never owned a vehicle that had no emergency brake,and we travel in the western mountains frequently. Thanks for your input, Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well guess what. If I turn my ignition switch off my parking brake activates. From 55 mph it worked quite well. Once it reached about 25 there was a **** of a bang as I shifted to neutral and restarted the engine. I was able to duplicate the problem in the driveway. Since my brakes are about as useful as a ,well my main brakes. It is now in the service center. They had it all day. They have a call into Workhorse. Won't have any information until at least Monday. I guess I'm not looney.
Drove my partners 35 ft workhorse ten feet today. The brakes will toss you through the windscreen if you don't buckle up.
If they can get me half of that braking power I will be thrilled.
Myron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:28 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had mine lock up electrically in Nov/03--set up in a campground in upstate NY-the next morning, the brake would not release-calle WH and asked where the fuse might be and they wouldn't tell me, they towed me to a small shop in Cloister, NJ-spent the night, found fuses in a third panel on the p-32 and replaced the next day. Never had a problem after that.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #7

Rogueii could you please tell me where you found that fuse for the parking brake for future reference. I have not had a problem yet but I am paranoid about this brake system. I have talked to others that have had theirs lock and they describe it as a very scary situation.

Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote