Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was kiddin wit ya Dale. Heck, I think it's a good idea. I like to have control and it still works automaticaly too. When I Posted that I was going to do here a couple of years ago, & posted pics, I got hammered on. I was going to ruin the whole ECM and probably other things too.

Still works good and I guess the ECM doesn't mind a bit either.
It not as neat and integrated as yours but it works
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #16

I thought the purpose of an idling cool down for a few minutes after cruising or hard running was to even the engine oil and tranny temp as well as the coolant. If the engine is not idling, neither is circulating. I know I did it on my Ram Cummins to cool the turbo oil, but the other components benefit too. Naturally, the fans will remove radiator heat, but not the engine internals. Maybe I'm missing something, but I still have the habit of watching my second hand go around three times before shutting off the engine. Neat installation tho, Oemy.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
I thought the purpose of an idling cool down for a few minutes after cruising or hard running was to even the engine oil and tranny temp as well as the coolant. If the engine is not idling, neither is circulating.
True... but, you still get a lot of "heat soak" after the engine is shut off. The idea behind this is to remove some of that heat faster by using the fans.

Quote:
I know I did it on my Ram Cummins to cool the turbo oil, but the other components benefit too.
Your comparing apples and oranges... Diesels/Turbo's have different cooling requirements than a gas power engine.

I plan to check my SG II the next time I am out. Not sure that the SG II will show a temp drop though. I will id the WT and the IAT. The WT probably will not change much depending where the temp sensors are located on the ngine. The IAT is located in the MAF and should give an indication of the under hood temp, I hope.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #18

As I will often-times open the hood on a hot day after a hot run so that the coach isn't overwhelmed with the now thoroughly heat soaked engine and surrounding compartments I often wonder if reversing the electric fans wouldn't be more beneficial to maintaining a cooler coach interior.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
As I will often-times open the hood on a hot day after a hot run so that the coach isn't overwhelmed with the now thoroughly heat soaked engine and surrounding compartments I often wonder if reversing the electric fans wouldn't be more beneficial to maintaining a cooler coach interior.
Our converter is located in in the right front compartment and is vented into the basement. Sometimes after a long run on a 100 plus degree day it will shutdown from overheat after we stop, and I have to place a fan on it and open compartment doors to get it operating again. Heat soak is real in our Dolphin.

Richard
Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #20

Texans, we long ago moved the converter out of that right front compartment and put it in the wet bay in the left rear compartment just aft of the axle. Hear it can help to heat the wet bay plumbing during the winter. In this position it has its own drop cord for drawing pedestal power when in camp. Neat!!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #21

Would be nice to move our convertor TandW, but that would be way above my skill level. Thanks

Richard