Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After dropping the motorhome off in Pahrump, we drove home in the Jeep. We drove back Friday (11/30) to pick it up.

Now we get into miracle territory. The job was done right the first time for the agreed upon price and the motorhome was not damaged in any way. This is a first for me. The dealer was Pahrump Valley Auto Plaza (a Chevrolet and other GM dealer). They treated my motorhome like it was gold. They put it in a special RV bay and never moved it. There were no greasy handprints or footprints anywhere. I just could not have been happier with the way the repair went.

We went for a check ride with the primary tech and everything worked perfectly. The next day, I went for a longer test ride and everything checked out.

We finished the day by driving back into Death Valley (not towing just yet). After enjoying DV for another day, we drove it home. We didn't tow until we cleared the first two passes.

The new engine does seem crisper and the engine braking seems better and the oil pressure is higher (~55-60psi hot).

I am still not sure why engine #1 checked out on me. One possibility is bad gas. I had fueled up at a brand X gas station and that was the fuel in the engine when it quit. Another is my fuel regulator. The tech replaced it to cure a hot starting (too rich) problem. Maybe Towne pass at 9% is just too much for this engine. Bottom line is, I don't know.

I will probably never go up a hill again without wondering if I will make it to the top. I hope that there have been some internal improvements that will prevent the new engine from eating itself.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After dropping the motorhome off in Pahrump, we drove home in the Jeep. We drove back Friday (11/30) to pick it up.

Now we get into miracle territory. The job was done right the first time for the agreed upon price and the motorhome was not damaged in any way. This is a first for me. The dealer was Pahrump Valley Auto Plaza (a Chevrolet and other GM dealer). They treated my motorhome like it was gold. They put it in a special RV bay and never moved it. There were no greasy handprints or footprints anywhere. I just could not have been happier with the way the repair went.

We went for a check ride with the primary tech and everything worked perfectly. The next day, I went for a longer test ride and everything checked out.

We finished the day by driving back into Death Valley (not towing just yet). After enjoying DV for another day, we drove it home. We didn't tow until we cleared the first two passes.

The new engine does seem crisper and the engine braking seems better and the oil pressure is higher (~55-60psi hot).

I am still not sure why engine #1 checked out on me. One possibility is bad gas. I had fueled up at a brand X gas station and that was the fuel in the engine when it quit. Another is my fuel regulator. The tech replaced it to cure a hot starting (too rich) problem. Maybe Towne pass at 9% is just too much for this engine. Bottom line is, I don't know.

I will probably never go up a hill again without wondering if I will make it to the top. I hope that there have been some internal improvements that will prevent the new engine from eating itself.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:01 AM   #3

good luck sometime thing happens we have 40k on ours it runing beter day after day merry xmass to you and all
Old 12-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Don't force it up any more long steep grades while winding it beyond the torque range and you'll be fine.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:30 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You got me curious here. What RPM constitutes the 'torque range'?

The tach was sitting at about 3000 RPM when it started detonation, is this too much?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:
Don't force it up any more long steep grades while winding it beyond the torque range and you'll be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I have to ask, for my own peace of mind.

Should I not depend on the rev limiter? I'm hard pressed into believing these engines are that fragile.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #7

Who finished first; the tortoise or the hare?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Bruceh, great follow up report. You're smart to break in the new engine without the toad attached.

Glad to hear the new engine is working good and you got your MH back in good shape.

As far as the first engine, it was probably just your turn in the barrel. The concept of "zero defects" in factories is just not attainable.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bruceh--

What type and weight oil did you go with, and why?

Good luck and best wishes with your new engine,
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have no idea what kind of oil is in there. It is whatever GM put in there when they built the engine.

I am leaning toward sticking to dino oil since there is this unpleasant coincidence. I realize that this is not 100% rational but fear and superstition have their place too.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #11

Go and enjoy your motorhome. Have not heard of many catastrophic failures such as yours. Break it in properly and try to keep RPM`s below 4000 and you should be fine.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bruceh:
You got me curious here. What RPM constitutes the 'torque range'?

The tach was sitting at about 3000 RPM when it started detonation, is this too much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW

My manual says maximum torque output is at 3,200 RPM.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hope these 8.1's aren't that fragile either.
I'm not sure what the torque range is ; but I almost always need 46, 4800 RPM and several times my engine has shut down for a millisecond as it was bouncing off the rev limiter @ 5000 RPM.
I have 'no clue' how you guys can climb mountains, especially pulling something, and say you don't go over 3000 RPM. I doubt if I could go across I-70, empty if I could'nt go over 3000 RPM. These engines better toughen up, here in Colorado anyway.
It's funny, when I think of a high reving engine, I think of a little 4 cylinder or maybe a Motorcycle engine. This big block should'nt need wrap out 4500/ 5000 RPM but it does. I even bought some oil that said it was for high reving engines.
No other SUV or Pickup engine that I own has to rev that high.
These buses need diesel engines.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
I hope these 8.1's aren't that fragile either.
I'm not sure what the torque range is ; but I almost always need 46, 4800 RPM and several times my engine has shut down for a millisecond as it was bouncing off the rev limiter @ 5000 RPM. I have 'no clue' how you guys can climb mountains, especially pulling something, and say you don't go over 3000 RPM. I doubt if I could go across I-70, empty if I could'nt go over 3000 RPM. These engines better toughen up, here in Colorado anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max, I follow your thoughts, you can't make it over I-70 at 3,000RPM.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote