Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thot I'd drop and line to advise that I ordered the Power Pack today for our 05 Adventurer. For $3200 Plus and installation at $75//hr (9 hrs) I'm xpecting great things. Those of you that have the whole Banks doo dah let me know your impressions. I don't wanna know if your engine blew up . . .well, OK, you can tell me.
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by groundpilot:
OK, you can tell me.
groundpilot, Do not be too disappointed if the Banks System doesn't deliver up to its potential 90% of the time while you're driving the motorhome.

Quite a few people who previously owned Fords simply install the Banks Power Pack on the Workhorse from past experience and honestly it doesn't feel the same as when it was powering the Ford. There are better solutions for day to day driving however if you go back and forth across the great divide with any frequency the Banks will do a good job.

I'm sure you will receive a great number of replies on this thread because quite a few of us have been running performance equipment for quite some time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I see your toad is an 08 saturn vue, as is mine. I got the XR and LUV it! Do you pull the fuse (whatever fuse it is) or just go? I've been on the Saturn site and noticed there was considerable discussion re: the battery problem which I have. Any advice?
groundpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I've been on the Saturn site and noticed there was considerable discussion re: the battery problem which I have. Any advice?
groundpilot, You can post this very same question over in the "Towing Issues and Toads Forum" and it'll get a lot of responses. Better we do it over there and stay on topic here. OK?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Thot I'd drop and line to advise that I ordered the Power Pack today for our 05 Adventurer. For $3200 Plus and installation at $75//hr (9 hrs) I'm xpecting great things. Those of you that have the whole Banks doo dah let me know your impressions. I don't wanna know if your engine blew up . . .well, OK, you can tell me.
Groundpilot:

Just curious, but did you check on the UltraPower updrade from Brazels RV Performance Center. The cost could possibly have been about 1/3 to 1/2 of the Banks System with most likely the same results or better in improvements. We had it done on our MH at the 06 IRV2 Rally in Branson, Mo and immediately noticed an increase in power and acceleration when we left and after 2000 miles our MPG has gone up from 7.5 to 8-8.5 mpg @ 63-65 mph. I'm sure the Banks system is a good product, however, other products are also available that will deliver similar improvements at noticeably less money.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
You will love your Banks system.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Go with the UltraPower, I have both and the UltraPower beats the Banks hands down.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
groundpilot,

I researched both Banks system and UltraPower ECM programming for 3 years, and finally decided that UP gives the 8.1 engine more performance for the buck, at under $800. And if you don't like the peformance they will remove the program and refund the cost. Can't beat that.

Ed
Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a 1990 P32 with a 454 motor. I installed the banks system and it made a big difference, more power especially on hills witch we have plenty of here in Utah. Sold the 1990 and bought a 2004 Gulfstream with the W20 chassis (how I love that Allison 5spd.)I had Banks to install the complete system. Again when your pulling mountains thats where the Banks system shines. I also have UltraPower. With UltraPower I saw increased gas mileage (about 1 MPG)and another big increase in power all across the power band. If I had to chose between Banks or UtraPower it wood be UltraPower hands down.
Don & Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I love my Banks power pac lots more power when pulling hills and less down shifts. I had mine installed before I knew about the UP. but would have done it anyway . The under hood temp went way down and the clutch fan hardley ever comes on now and the eng hump is so much cooler I can put pearl the girls dog bed on it now(she loves it!)my next upgrade will be the UP. this spring. I think you may be paying to much, I payed alot less installed than you are for the parts. I would have done it my shelf but they needed the the work and made it worth my while not to do it. good luck I think you will like it I know I do!
Bill Overall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

GroundPilot,

The price of $3200 is installed right??
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike, have you done any research/testing with your Ultra Power and a good set of headers tuned for torque and low restriction air intake?

That could well be the cat's meow.

I had the Banks headers, K&N air inlet and the Transcommand on my 1999 6.8L V-10 (did not use the Banks ottominder) and it did help with the midrange power a bunch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have done lot's of them. They work very well together.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike, thanks for the response. Using the low restriction headers and air inlet is only part of the equation to get the max. I figured a tuner on top of the headers had be be a help.

Any idea on how much more you can eek out of the engine?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote