Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Battery Boost Relay Part Number

2006 Winnebago Adventurer W24. Does anyone have the correct part number for the Battery Boost relay. The relay (solenoid) that is in the step well behind the breaker panel.

I've looked everywhere on line for the part number. I'm not at the coach now but will be heading back to it next week. I want to bring a new relay with me or have one shipped to where the coach is.

When I activate the battery boost switch on the dash, I hear a distinctive clunk that indicates the relay is activating. However, there is no boost coming from the coach batteries. The voltage on the chassis battery side of the relay remains unchanged.

In addition to that, when the engine is running the alternator is not charging the coach batteries. The coach batteries remain at +/-12v even when the chassis batteries are at +14v being charged from the alternator.

And lastly, if the coach batteries are low the generator won't start. When I activate the battery boost switch on the dash the generator still won't start because the chassis batteries are still low.

I know this part is likely considered part of the Winnebago coach assembly but I have looked through all the Winnebago wiring diagrams and parts lists and this part is not listed anywhere that I can see. I know I can get the part number off the relay when I get to the coach but I was hoping to find one before I head down next week.

Thanks for the help and if you think this thread should be over on the Winnebago forum please move it there.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #2

Look at EB300
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Look at EB300
That definitely appears to be what I need. I couldn't find any good description of exactly what the EB300 does or what it fits but it appears from the description, that is the correct part.

Where did you come up with EB300 if I might ask?
Old 01-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

Winnebago has used a couple different parts over the years. Most do as yours did, they die. There's lots of replacement options. Trombetta is a popular brand.

Try this search for a start.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #5

This is what I use, works like a charm. I keep a couple all the time, and use them in place of regular solenoids.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONTINU....c100276.m3476

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #6

I did a search for Battery Booster relay Winnie W24
Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #7

You know you swap the positive and negative and they work
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
This is what I use, works like a charm. I keep a couple all the time, and use them in place of regular solenoids.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONTINU....c100276.m3476
The one referenced above (4 post) may work on your Winnie and that price is great. But my 2004 Winnie part list shows a 3 post version. Below is the image from the part list with the Winnie part number. The extra post probably goes to ground if you want to go for that solution.

Good luck,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	189344  
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:27 AM   #9

I got a Trombetta 734-1221-020 STD Contactor on AMAZON & exact low cost replacement....
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will read through the links above and do a little more searching. Looks like I can find a compatible solenoid for anywhere from $11 to $60. That is a pretty big spread. For a component that is only used ever so often I'm not positive it's worth the extra money for the most expensive one.

I do want to ensure that the relay will work as a Charge and Boost relay.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will read through the links above and do a little more searching. Looks like I can find a compatible solenoid for anywhere from $11 to $60. That is a pretty big spread. For a component that is only used ever so often I'm not positive it's worth the extra money for the most expensive one.

I do want to ensure that the relay will work as a Charge and Boost relay.
Most of the time they are used for both, that's why it needs to be a continuous duty relay. They are on the whole time you are driving down the road. Your Winnebago may or may NOT charge the chassis battery while you are on shore power. If it does that relay will be energized while you are on shore power too.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 5320 View Post
Most of the time they are used for both, that's why it needs to be a continuous duty relay. They are on the whole time you are driving down the road. Your Winnebago may or may NOT charge the chassis battery while you are on shore power. If it does that relay will be energized while you are on shore power too.
Got it. It all makes sense now.

Neither of my coaches charge the chassis battery while plugged in to shore power. I added the Trik-L-Start to address this issue.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #13

Some parts numbers for you to add to your searches.

The original solenoid in my Mom's '01 Adventurer - Camdec 97226-WR

Original solenoid in my Father-in-law's '08 Navion - Trombetta 936-1215-011-21

(Trombetta bought Camdec in 2001, these may effectively be the same part.)

They look like the Winnebago drawing above. Both three post. Using a four post just means you have to add a wire from the fourth post to ground, not a big deal.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Some parts numbers for you to add to your searches.

The original solenoid in my Mom's '01 Adventurer - Camdec 97226-WR

Original solenoid in my Father-in-law's '08 Navion - Trombetta 936-1215-011-21

(Trombetta bought Camdec in 2001, these may effectively be the same part.)

They look like the Winnebago drawing above. Both three post. Using a four post just means you have to add a wire from the fourth post to ground, not a big deal.
Thanks for the info Tim. I think I've narrowed down my search. I found this Cole Hersee 200A Continuous Duty relay on Amazon. I don't think going from a 150amp up to a 200amp relay will have any detrimental affects. I like this relay because it has the Silver Tungsten Carbide contacts. It uses the same 5/16 and 10/32 studs like my original. At $42 it's quite a bit more expensive than the cheaper relays I found but I think it will work for my application.

Almost half of the reviews of this product mentioned it was an upgraded relay that replaced the faulty charge/boost relay on their motorhome or camper. One guy mentioned that he replaced the relay on his F53 chassis motorhome with this one and then promptly sold the Ford to buy a Workhorse chassis coach. LOL

Thanks for all the replies guys. I know much more about the Charge/Boost relay on my motorhomes now. This is what makes this forum so awesome.

Tags
battery