Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #1

Belts Hoses and water pump

Recently purchased a 2006 winnebago on a work horse chassis. with 26K miles Getting it ready to travel. Should I get the belts hoses and water pump and thermostats changed as a preventative measure?

Advice on any other preventative items would be appreciated.

dennis&stella

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #2

I got my 2004 Winnebago with 23K miles, just over 3 years ago. I immediately changed the belts and hoses as a preventative measure. Also, check the date codes on your tires. i had one battery that was almost 5 years old, so i replaced that too.
just wanted to keep from issues, and i check everything before any trips.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayfl View Post
Recently purchased a 2006 winnebago on a work horse chassis. with 26K miles Getting it ready to travel. Should I get the belts hoses and water pump and thermostats changed as a preventative measure? Advice on any other preventative items would be appreciated.
dennis&stella, I had my entire cooling system rebuilt at over 12 years of age and 110,000 miles. I will advise against spending the money to replace hoses at this time. Know this, at the age and mileage that I stated none of my hoses had failed. Now on the other hand there's one little nickel and dime component in your cooling system and that's a vacuum operated, water heater, control valve. If that valve lets loose at speed it'll blow out your entire load of coolant in about 1 minute. It's never a good day when that happens.

Although I'm on fan belt #4, during the cooling system revamp, a new fan belt was not indicated at that time and Larry said, "Why spend the money if it ain't broke"

One thing you should do is check the DOT date codes on your tires. If they are 2005 tires, they might just be due to be changed. Lots of folks here go for tires other than Michelin however I am on my 3rd set and "Yes" I'll buy another when the time comes.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayfl View Post
Recently purchased a 2006 winnebago on a work horse chassis. with 26K miles Getting it ready to travel. Should I get the belts hoses and water pump and thermostats changed as a preventative measure?

Advice on any other preventative items would be appreciated.

dennis&stella
When I purchased mine, a 2005, it had bout 27,000 miles, because there was no record of the coolant changed, I went ahead and changed the coolant, I inspected the coolant hoses for cracks and all looked good, so I left old ones on, but I do carry spare hoses and belt.

I did notice my serpentine belt needed to be replaced, so did that as well, and have another one as a spare.

I would think water pump and thermo would be good to go

Change your gen set oil and filter as well, unless you have records of it being done before.

I also changed out the brake fluid, bought speed bleeders from Oemy, one man operations took about an hour to do.

http://www.oemys-performance.com/speedbleeder.htm
Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #5

If you're handy, buy belts and hoses and have them on board.
If you're not so handy, have them replaced and then that will be one less worry.

Personally I would change hoses and carry belts. If a hose goes you lose antifreeze as well as the hose - that's a bit tougher to fix along side the road somewhere.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 PM   #6

I would think the waterpump and thermostat are probably ok at this point. That is, unless you see deposits and/or brown rusty looking water inside the radiator. But i would take a good look at the belt and the hoses to see how they were faring.

Don't have that many miles on our 03 but the age of the rubber components concerned me. Changed the surpentine belt about 4 years ago. Got to the radiator and heater hoses earlier last year. Did note that my heater control valve had a small leak so i replaced it as well.

As others have stated, tire dates would be what i'd check first.

Tags
water, water pump