Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Could you explain how to simulate a tire blowout?
Hey Arch, If you go on the Michelin website, there's an instructional video there about front tire blow-outs.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:32 AM   #16

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Got one WITH SafeTplus? The point is there is a lot of speculation that a dampener system would have prevented this accident. Is there any documented data?

I've found the problem is you can't find any videos of tire blowouts occurring with Safe-T-Plus installed because you'd hardly notice the coach had a blowout. Doesn't make for post worthy videos I guess.

Ultra RV Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
I've found the problem is you can't find any videos of tire blowouts occurring with Safe-T-Plus installed because you'd hardly notice the coach had a blowout. Doesn't make for post worthy videos I guess.
Jon, The more that Safe-T-Plus makes this a non-event the more people what to know about it.

Go and hook-up that Go-Pro and crank one out from your perspective, it should impress and generate a lot of interest. (Now no need to actually do a blowout) I believe that Michelin sacrificed a tire using a charge on the sidewall.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 PM   #18

I installed Steer Safe, which noticeably improved the steering on my 2007 Tiffin Open Road 35 TSA. Plus it has a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBobby View Post
I installed Steer Safe, which noticeably improved the steering on my 2007 Tiffin Open Road 35 TSA. Plus it has a lifetime warranty.
Although SS & S-T-P essentially address a similar issue, STP is sealed unit, its out of the wind & splash zone and provides dampening throughout the steering cut and centering assistance when the wheel is released.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tyron

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Tyron bands. These are a bit pricey but they secure the tire to the rim after a blowout and keeps the wheels tracking straight. They have the videos that were referenced in some of the replies on their site.

Site is http://www.tyron-usa.com/

When we bought our ACE 30.1 we had the dealer install thems (at a hefty profit for them I'm sure). After we had the motorhome for a month or two I added a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer, mainly to assist with stability in winds and truck passing. Not sure it has made a lot of difference, but we hadn't driven it much before adding the Safe-T-Plus. We also added a TPMS.

I did my own Safe-T-Plus install. The install wasn't hard once I got a cheater bar to break the U bolt nuts to mount the mounting plate. Centering was a bit more of a challenge as its tight getting under the coach and not a lot of fun doing it with the engine running. I finally figured out a safe approach, going in behind the driver's front wheel and squeezing under the generator exhaust. Took about 4 tries to get it.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:48 PM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTP View Post
I did my own Safe-T-Plus install. The install wasn't hard once I got a cheater bar to break the U bolt nuts to mount the mounting plate. Centering was a bit more of a challenge as its tight getting under the coach and not a lot of fun doing it with the engine running. I finally figured out a safe approach, going in behind the driver's front wheel and squeezing under the generator exhaust. Took about 4 tries to get it.
DenverTP, Have ever run into our member from Denver; Max49?

Your install experience was similar to mine. Perfectly centering the STP takes a few tries. At this point of the game, for me anyway, I lowered the jacks and floated the wheels and the steering centers itself. My steering wheel is nicely zeroed out so if I hold the wheel straight ahead and have someone else loosen the tie rod clamp to the point where it's just loose, the STP clamp might move one-way or another just about an eighth of an inch or so and then I tighten the nuts on the tie rod. This worked for me and the vehicle no longer pulls when the wheel is held straight ahead. There again a test drive will confirm if the adjustment is right.