Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best front tire BLOWOUT protection....

.....is it Steer Safe or Safe T Plus ??

That is all I am looking for. Tracks fine; side winds not usually a problem.

Looked at a lot of threads and want to know best item in case of front tire BLOWOUT.

2002 WH W22 on a 2003 National Dolphin. 5B4MP67G723348792. Pretty sure..... solid I beam. Talked to Henderson and S.S. in Deming, N.M. Both assured me no alignment needed after install. Safe T Plus has adjustments built in, says Henderson.

Even tho any dope can install the Steer Safe....I will farm it out.

Steer Safe #1HC-800-W
Safe T Plus #41-230

Any comments will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
.....is it Steer Safe or Safe T Plus ??

That is all I am looking for. Tracks fine; side winds not usually a problem.

Looked at a lot of threads and want to know best item in case of front tire BLOWOUT.

2002 WH W22 on a 2003 National Dolphin. 5B4MP67G723348792. Pretty sure..... solid I beam. Talked to Henderson and S.S. in Deming, N.M. Both assured me no alignment needed after install. Safe T Plus has adjustments built in, says Henderson.

Even tho any dope can install the Steer Safe....I will farm it out.

Steer Safe #1HC-800-W
Safe T Plus #41-230

Any comments will be appreciated.
There is no true BLOWOUT protection. While a steering stabilizer can be an aid in control in a blown tire event, that is all it is, just an aid. You have to be in control of the situation.
The best protection is to have good tires on your vehicle, especially on the front wheels. You also need to have a mindset you are not going to lose control or crash. Keep a level head, turn the signal light on to pull over, slide the shifter into neutral and roll to a stop. Don't panic and lock up the brakes. This would only compound the pulling to one side effect of a blown out tire as well as increasing the chances of someone hitting you in the back end from a sudden stop. All this time you need to be checking your mirrors to be sure you aren't cutting someone off while trying to reach the side of the highway. You are going to be busy for a few long seconds but you will increase your chances of a safe exit from the driving lane(s) to the safety of the shoulder.
Above all don't panic. Letting this run through your mind every now and then will help you prepare for a blowout.
Best of all let's hope it never happens to anyone on this forum or any where else.
BTW, yes, I did install a Safe-T Plus stabilizer on my MH. Is it any better than another top selling brand? I don't know. I don't plan on trying any brand out myself to settle that question.
Stay safe,
Lynn
Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In addition to LETMEGROW's post, a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). A true 'blow out' is often caused by running tires at improper PSI (= slow leak). This is why cars now come with a TPMS.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
X2 on letmgrow's comments plus when you are on a stretch of road with no traffic, practice a simulated blowout to a complete stop. As a private pilot we practiced engine out emergency landings all the time until it was second nature. Same thing can be said for blowouts.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Steersafe is unique in that it controls each front wheel independently with 450# springs. IMHO better than 1 controller on the idler arm wuth far less force. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I installed a Safe-T-Plus on the front of my motorhome. It's the best device to assist in centering the wheel under most all conditions and in the event of a blowout it will work as advertised. Complimenting the STP is a Tru-Track bar (now Roadmaster). Both devices working together give the driver a much better experience greatly reducing the need to constantly apply minor steering corrections.

Upstream, it was stated to not loose your cool and hit the brakes in the event of a blow-out. 100% true. Michelin has a video on their site that trains drivers to actually throttle up until you have achieved directional control and to ease over in the breakdown lane and take you foot off the gas and to coast to a stop.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I had a front drivers side tire blowout 4 yrs ago. It was a Michelin that had the infamous zipper failure. There was no warning that something was about to explode......my TPMS was indicating all pressures ok.

I have a Safe-T-Plus that I bought in 2000 for my 1999 Ford chassis and when I sold it in 2004 I transferred to my current W22 chassis. It worked exactly as advertised.

I was traveling about 62 mph on flat straight section of I-10 east of LA in Fontana when the tire let loose. I felt the coach drop down suddenly but I had no pull to the left or right. I was worried about my toad and in the mirror I saw all the debris with the big tread section flopping in the lane to the left. I was in lane 2 in a construction zone where the lanes were skinned up, with a simi between me and the k-rail and no shoulder. I was very thankful I didn't swerve to the right 4 ft.

Seems to me the S-T-P should be considered standard safety equipment just like seat belts. Every time I read about a tour bus crashing due to a front tire blowout, I wonder how the outcome would be if they had a big heavy duty Safe-T-Plus in place???

Safe Travels and Happy New Year,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I have a Safe-T-Plus that I bought in 2000 for my 1999 Ford chassis and when I sold it in 2004 I transferred to my current W22 chassis. It worked exactly as advertised.
The product is more expensive than other solutions however the testimonials for Safe-T-Plus are many and consistent.
I have had my STP on the front of my unit for so long that I recently had to change the clamp U-Bolts and bushings. I got those parts directly from STP. When I raise the rig to grease the front end, and turn the steering wheel, the wheels will quickly center themselves when released.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have the Safe-T-Plus on my Ford as well as using the Truck System Technologies tire pressure monitoring. I used the TST on my 04 Workhorse when I owned it and they still work well. Just change the batteries when needed.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Just in case some of you haven't seen this, here is a front end blow out WITHOUT a Safe-T-Plus

Old 01-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSteer View Post
Just in case some of you haven't seen this, here is a front end blow out WITHOUT a Safe-T-Plus

Got one WITH SafeTplus? The point is there is a lot of speculation that a dampener system would have prevented this accident. Is there any documented data?
Old 01-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Here is Safe-T-Plus' video about the product. Its an old video but it shows what happens

Old 01-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
X2 on letmgrow's comments plus when you are on a stretch of road with no traffic, practice a simulated blowout to a complete stop. As a private pilot we practiced engine out emergency landings all the time until it was second nature. Same thing can be said for blowouts.

Could you explain how to simulate a tire blowout?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #14

I believe if one searches for "Front tire Blow out practices", the recommended procedure is to stay off the brakes, hit the throttle to add power to the rear wheels, and steer to compensate for dangerous pulling of the front to the side of the blow out. This is the practice that the trucking industry instructs its drivers to do to handle a front blowout.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote