Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #1

Bilstein to Koni shock replacement

We have Bilstein shocks on our 2010 with 27K miles. Would like to stiffen up the back end to minimize the body roll. Has anyone ever just replaced the rear shocks with Koni's. Thinking that might be better than adding a rear track bar.

Is shock replacement an easy DIY? Thanks.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

FYI....just checked the web and Brazel's has the best price on the Koni 8805-1002 shock! Good job Jon and still waiting for my son to install the plugs and plug wires to make my recent tune "come alive,
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #3

2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8370MXG

Hello;
I have the above camper. It's on a W22 Workhorse with the 8.1 Vortex.
I have a large stack of manuals and have been reading as much as I can. What I cannot seem to find out is if the inverter is part of the chassis or is it installed by the manufacturer of the coach. I can't find one but it's supposed to be there. The fellow I bought it from was 78 years old and not in good shape. He only put 8500 miles on it. He was the original owner. He sure did mess with the TVs and entertainment equipment though.

I also have a switch on the dash that I can't figure out the function of. I will post a picture later today.

Sudsy
Old 07-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Hello;
I have the above camper. It's on a W22 Workhorse with the 8.1 Vortex.
I have a large stack of manuals and have been reading as much as I can. What I cannot seem to find out is if the inverter is part of the chassis or is it installed by the manufacturer of the coach. I can't find one but it's supposed to be there. The fellow I bought it from was 78 years old and not in good shape. He only put 8500 miles on it. He was the original owner. He sure did mess with the TVs and entertainment equipment though.

I also have a switch on the dash that I can't figure out the function of. I will post a picture later today.

Sudsy
A separate thread about your inverter and switch question may get more results. This thread is about swapping the Bilstein shocks with Konis.

To the OP. I don't think the shock swap is going to do all that much for body roll. A sway bar will be the most effective followed by Sumo Springs or something similar, IMO.

With that said, the Konis are a nice improvement in ride quality so that would be an added benefit. To really feel the benefit in ride quality you need to change all 4 though. The Bilsteins are very rough riding and harsh on imperfections in the road and bridge approaches and pavement breaks. I put Konis on our Itasca. Our Adventurer will be getting them this fall.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

The previous owner of my P32 based Allegro put Koni shocks on all round, they seem to work well but solve a completely different issue to the rear track bar.

I am seriously thinking of adding a rear track bar, as the tail wag can get tiresome on longer drives.

If your shocks are working leave them be and get the rear track bar.
mjleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #6

Funny you should ask! I just swapped out my Bilsteins for Konis today on my W22. I also ordered my Konis from Ultra RV, quick delivery. Definitely an DIY project if you have the right tools. An impact air wrench will also help, but at a minimum the project will need a breaker bar to get the nuts off. Search YouTube for Kevin Caudill, he has done many DIYs on his W24, including the shocks.

Jon (Brazel's), if you're reading this thread, the rears have a torque number for the nuts, but the fronts did not. Just tighten?
G3G4G5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #7

See post 8 and 11

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/w24-s...ml#post2325534
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Great thx!
G3G4G5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjleonard View Post
The previous owner of my P32 based Allegro put Koni shocks on all round, they seem to work well but solve a completely different issue to the rear track bar.

I am seriously thinking of adding a rear track bar, as the tail wag can get tiresome on longer drives.

If your shocks are working leave them be and get the rear track bar.
OEM shocks are working as they should, but Jon at Brazels noticed a very slow "rebound" when he took my rig out after the Ultra tune and recommended changing to the Koni's. Never have really thought the ride was harsh with the Bilsteins as long as tire pressures are spot on.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #10

You have your terms mixed up. Body roll can be reduced by installing an anti-sway bar (or changing to a heavier bar). Track bars reduce or eliminate side-to-side movement but don't affect body roll.

My understanding is that Bilstein shocks are actually stiffer than Koni's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
We have Bilstein shocks on our 2010 with 27K miles. Would like to stiffen up the back end to minimize the body roll. Has anyone ever just replaced the rear shocks with Koni's. Thinking that might be better than adding a rear track bar.

Is shock replacement an easy DIY? Thanks.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
You have your terms mixed up. Body roll can be reduced by installing an anti-sway bar (or changing to a heavier bar). Track bars reduce or eliminate side-to-side movement but don't affect body roll.

My understanding is that Bilstein shocks are actually stiffer than Koni's.
I thought the Bilstein shocks were stiffer than the Koni's too. I will find out pretty soon when I bolt some on the Adventurer.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #12

Tom,
Please let us know about the difference in ride with the Koni's on the Adventurer.
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
Tom,
Please let us know about the difference in ride with the Koni's on the Adventurer.
I have the Koni FSD's on our Itasca. Swapped out the Bilsteins at around 6000 miles. The Koni's are much smoother and much less harsh on bridge expansion joints and breaks in the pavement. Definitely a smoother overall ride with the Koni's.

I will likely be spring before I put them on the Adventurer.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #14

Thanks, Tom.
Before I go for the pricey Koni's, I'm going to start a thread asking if people have direct experience comparing Monroes to Konis. Monroes are almost 1/3 the price and have some good ride reports over stock shocks.
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, koni, replace, replacement