Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
wmw

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Black soot from tailpipe 8.1 W24

Hi I'm the proud owner of a new to me 2007 Adventurer38J 8.1 W24. I am currently in transit from the Seattle area to Quartzsite Arizona. I'm at Hill AFB near Ogden UT visiting with Wife's relatives. My Question is this, I noticed that I have a lot of soot around both my exhausts. The engine has worked perfect for the last 900 Miles no trouble codes or lack of power. The MH has 20,000 miles on it. When I'm going down the road there is no visible sign of smoke from the exhaust. Should I be concerned or is that normal? I'm thinking that she is running rich, my average fuel mileage has been around 5.9 mpgs. I have been cruising at 60 to 63 mph.
Someone told me that it may be caused by idling the engine too long. I run the engine when I park to extend slides and jacks.
Thanks for any reply
Woody 2007 Adventurer 38J 8.1 W24
wmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #2

WMW: First let me say WELCOME to iRV2.com and the Workhorse forum in particular. We're glad you joined and posted. Also, congrats on the W-24.

To answer your question, black exhaust is considered perfectly normal and is not a reason for concern. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Yes the soot is considered normal due to the length of the exhaust pipes. I would be concerned however with the mileage. I believe most of us are getting better than 5.9 mpg.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
I'm thinking that she is running rich, my average fuel mileage has been around 5.9 mpgs.
Before I did the Ultrapower upgrade, my mileage was right at 6. I picked up 1mpg to 7 after the upgrade. Some do better, some worse.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
wmw

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you all for the replies. I'm glad to hear that the soot is not a problem. I thought that the poor mileage was due to the engine running rich, however my driving may have some bearing on the mileage. I went over Snoqualmie pass at 55 mph. So going over mountain passes a little slower may improve the mileage. Also for some of my trip I had a 20 mph head wind. Me and the Wife really like our new to us MH. It has a lot more power than my previous MH that had a 460 Ford with Banks. My toad is a Subaru outback.
Thanks again Woody 2007 38J Adventurer 24W
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
wmw,

The soot you see is normal. When gas had lead in it the exhaust color would be a light tan on a clean running engine. The coloration was caused by the lead. Now that we are "unleaded" black residue is normal.

While your mileage should be a little better, there are so many variables it's hard to go by one trip. You have a pretty heavy coach plus the weight of your toad, plus the head wind, plus the terrain should explain some of it. Driving habits make a big difference as well. Get a few more trips under your belt and then see how it does.

Enjoy your new toy....

Dave
Old 10-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My previous Coach was a 37' Fleetwood on the W24 chassis. I got 6 to 7.5 MPG with an average of about 6.6. I did notice the black smoke on mine.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
Hi I'm the proud owner of a new to me 2007 Adventurer38J 8.1 W24. I am currently in transit from the Seattle area to Quartzsite Arizona. I'm at Hill AFB near Ogden UT visiting with Wife's relatives. My Question is this, I noticed that I have a lot of soot around both my exhausts. The engine has worked perfect for the last 900 Miles no trouble codes or lack of power. The MH has 20,000 miles on it. When I'm going down the road there is no visible sign of smoke from the exhaust. Should I be concerned or is that normal? I'm thinking that she is running rich, my average fuel mileage has been around 5.9 mpgs. I have been cruising at 60 to 63 mph.
Someone told me that it may be caused by idling the engine too long. I run the engine when I park to extend slides and jacks.
Thanks for any reply
Woody 2007 Adventurer 38J 8.1 W24
have you replaced your air filter element? i went with a K&N oiled gauze low restriction element. S&B also makes a quality oiled gauze filter that is a little thicker. they both are cleanable and can be re-oiled and reused indefinitely.
the pn for the k&n is: 33-2062-1.
the pn for the s&b is: 66-2014D.
i installed a SCANGAUGEII unit to monitor the transmission temperature, water temperature, fuel trim, air-fuel ratio and other parameters. i got my sc2 from mileage pros online. OEMY, a sponsor? of this forum sells them also for about $160. if you buy from oemy, your sc2 will have all of the x gauge items installed for your moho.
i had to enter them in the unit myself. i got the info from a pdf file from linear logic, the manufacturer of the sc2 unit.
when your air-fuel ratio is indicating 14.7:1, you have the perfect ratio.
check my previous posts to see a picture of my installation and more info about the sc2.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:40 AM   #9

I had the soot problem on my Ford F53 with V-10. Soot generally equals unburned fuel. I did not consider it normal, but the Ford folks could've cared less. Found an obscure page on internet (wish I had saved) with talked about the adaptive capabilities of engines. Seems ECM can learn backwards. Look in your owners manual to see if there is a procedure to follow if battery power is disconnected from the ECM. In my case, I disconnected the battery again and followed the procedures to the letter in the manual. This process cured my soot problem. Of course, this was on a Ford and not the 8.1, but it might be germane.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i got my sc2 from mileage pros online. OEMY, a sponsor?
Dan, Although we very much like what Oemy does here for our members he is not a sponsor/advertiser.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #11

We have an '02 HR Vacationer, 35' with the 8.1 although I think I am on the W22 chassis. We have experienced the soot issue since we took our first trip. We have discovered it to be more noticable when we are traveling with an enclosed trailer with us, as the soot appears to swirl between the motorhome and trailer. Speckles everywhere. Washes off easy enough, just kind of an annoyance.

We tend to run between 7 and 8 miles per gallon, regardless if we tow anything or not. Very little difference noticed unless we experience strong headwinds or a lot of mountain pass travel.
Dwain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
... I did notice the black smoke on mine.
I hope you meant black soot. There should be NO black smoke.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
I hope you meant black soot. There should be NO black smoke.
FT, Right on! Black smoke - no good!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
wmw

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The dealership checked the air filter before I started the trip. I had a k&n filter on my previous MH and probably will go to that when its time to change the filter I got. The sc2 is a great idea, I may look into it when I get settled in AZ.
Woody